Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada, possitives and negatives

Australia or Canada, possitives and negatives

Old Sep 15th 2005, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Australia or Canada, possitives and negatives

Have you been to Canada and Australia?

I have been to Canada a few times and loved it there - but I knew I wouldn't want to live there.

As soon as I went to Australia I KNEW that I wanted to live there.

You will have to visit both countries to find out which, if any, is right for you!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I think the main positive for me, regarding Australia, is that it has a letter 'a' at both the beginning and the end, plus a special bonus 'a' in the middle. I'm a big fan of the letter A, as is my wife.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:34 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
I think the main positive for me, regarding Australia, is that it has a letter 'a' at both the beginning and the end, plus a special bonus 'a' in the middle. I'm a big fan of the letter A, as is my wife.
And todays programme is also brought to you by the letters S, H, I & T and the number 2
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:35 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
And todays programme is also brought to you by the letters S, H, I & T and the number 2
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:35 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, but Canada also has 3 As and if you extract them you are left with CND.

Now extract them from Aus.....Ustrli.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:39 pm
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Bix
Ah, but Canada also has 3 As and if you extract them you are left with CND.

Now extract them from Aus.....Ustrli.
Ah yes, the 'Ustrli' - a flightless lizard which traditionally lays its eggs on dung heaps in the hope of putting off predators. I believe it appeared on the 15c stamp in October of 1953.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
CND.
Why is it when I hear CND I think of unshaven Lesbians
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:40 pm

Ah yes, the 'Ustrli' - a flightless lizard which traditionally lays its eggs on dung heaps in the hope of putting off predators. I believe it appeared on the 15c stamp in October of 1953.
back to ya
Old Sep 15th 2005, 1:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading an article in The Scientific Globe Trotting Jounal on this very subject.
A Proffessor Widebottom a Crapologist from the University of Aarse in Denmark was claiming to have uncovered some genuine Ustrli eggs from deep within the bowels of mother earth.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
I was reading an article in The Scientific Globe Trotting Jounal on this very subject.
A Proffessor Widebottom a Crapologist from the University of Aarse in Denmark was claiming to have uncovered some genuine Ustrli eggs from deep within the bowels of mother earth.
I bet Mother Earth feels a lot better now those eggs have been removed
Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
I bet Mother Earth feels a lot better now those eggs have been removed
Yes, probably gave out a fatuous cry of relief.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
Yes, probably gave out a fatuous cry of relief.
The wonders of Andrews Liver Salts
Old Sep 15th 2005, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Vic&jase is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=coolboarder]I want a fresh start for me and my family but cant decide on Canada or Australia. I have three young kids so which ever we choose must be right for them. I'm not looking at this with rose tinted glasses on, so I know there will be good and bad points in both country's.

I would like to ask you folk on here what are your 3 positives & 3 negatives with Australia compared to the UK.

My Australia positive would be

Quality of life
Plenty career opportunity's for my kids
The outdoor life Australians have including the beach life.

& negatives

I'm guessing now but isn't it a long plane ride to nz south island for some serious winter sport.
Fear of dangerous animals, insects etc.
Such a long way from uk and expensive to fly here or back to uk.

We thought about the same thing. Have visited both but they are of course such huge countries you cannot get a great idea. We have chosen Oz over Canada because of weather (I am definitely not a cold person), proximity to America (love it, but only for a holiday) and the feeling of a more relaxed attitude to everything, no rush no worries.

Just be very clear on what you want out of the area. Do your research, go on local council websites (oz search engines come up with better stuff, try www.altavista.com.au), look at population sizes and compare with where you are now to get rough ideas of how big they are. Think about what you would like around you and when the kids are teenagers, is there going to be enough to do. How far from a big city do you want to be. Then get a realistic idea of what you can afford.

Do not be put off of posting on here, I am still new but realise that some posts you put on, are probably the same as someone else put on last week. Good idea to do a search on your subject first and look at other threads.

Good luck with your decision.

Vics xxx
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

I haven't been to Canada (but I just know I could not put up with those harsh winters and the threat of big cat and grizzly attacks), and have only been to Melbourne on a holiday that turned into a reccie, so my tuppence worth is a bit one-sided.

We are moving because we believe:

1. The australians have a far more laid back attitude to life (we like that, even though I can understand how it would frustrate some people).
2. We liked the idea that a child is treated as a whole person, not just as someone who must be taught to read, write and do sums
3. We loved the weather (and we were in Melbourne).
4. Although space is a premium in terms of real estate because a lot of the country is uninhabitable, you don't have to go far to find the space and get away from civilization for a bit - we especially loved that!!
5. We LOVE the idea that in summer you have some of great beaches and surfing and then in winter a two hour drive out of Melbourne takes you to the ski slopes. We have never skiied before and are already planning our first winter!! I don't know if you get this elsewhere in Australia.

Things that worry us:

1. Job opportunities for our kids, but we feel that if the children need to come back to the UK to find these opportunities, then so be it. We don't want that and are hoping that it won't be a problem, but you never know. Personally, we don't intend to come back.
2. The apparent lack of culture and very obvious sense of humour, as opposed to the subtle wit you have here in the UK (a personal thing to us) but we are going to Melbourne, the cultural city of Australia (also the sporting one for those sports enthusiasts - melbourne grand prix, tennis open, commonwealth games, etc).
3. Increasing cost of getting acreage, which is what we would like ultimately.

Sorry I can't give a more balanced view. Hope your research turns out ok and welcome to the forum.

Sarah
Old Sep 15th 2005, 3:30 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Big negative for Canada is the winter, it is incredibly cold. Apart from that I would say its a difficult decision, and one we have made ourselves favouring Australia................but only by a nats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.