Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia to boring?

Is Australia to boring?

Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:10 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia to boring?

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
When I first came to Perth I must admit that I fell into the 'Perth is boring' category. After coming from south London it was a bit of a culture shock, to see so little 'culture' I guess.

I'm a little better now, and realise that Perth has a fairly good live music scene (which I enjoy thoroughly), and there are things out there to do.

In saying that though, I do still miss the history and culture of the UK. But a big downer for me is simply how far Perth is from anywhere in terms of going away for hols. I really don't think people appreciate how amazing it is to have Europe on your doorstep when in the UK. Having so many different cultures within a few hours cheap flight away is fantastic, and something I miss hugely.
The natural landscape of Australia is far from boring, but once you've seen one Australian city you've seen them all, once you've seen one Australian country town you've seen them all, once you've seen one Australian sea side resort you've seen them all.

The problem, if there is one, is that Australia doesn't have very many people, and they all pretty much the same. There's no variation in culture. There's more cultural change between Sunderland and Newcastle 30 miles up the road than there is between Perth and Brisbane.

Unless you count the aboriginal Australians, whom most Australians seem to ignore.

It's not their fault, of course, the country (politically speaking) is only 200 years old.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar

For the record it's cheaper to go to Thailand from the UK than it is from Australia.
For the record you're wrong.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

BeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really niceBeachBassist is just really nice

certainly not boring. I've had a great time. spent some time on the east coast and met tons of great people. also spent a few day in Darwin. There is something for everyone here. you just got to travel around and find it. I'm in western oz now and actually prefer this side. I like space and western oz certainly has it.

I think you can be bored if you want to be bored but I've been having such a great time so far. Heading to Perth today. Broome is really nice but a little too small townish for me. I think Perth might just be Perthfect.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Yup that's the point I'm making I guess.

But I certainly don't hold with people who say there's no social activity in Perth etc. It's most certainly there if you bother going to look for it.

The only area where it may fall down is theatre.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:14 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
For the record you're wrong.
For the record, you basically proved there wasn't much difference.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yeh I agree, Florence is horrible (such awful architecture).

Why would you want that when you can live in Perth. Same can be said of Barcelona (yuck) give me the delights of Brisbane everyday of the week.
Absolutely! I mean who would want that yucky Italian pasta or Spanish tapas when you can go to Hungry Jacks?

And I personaly think that concrete bungalows with a tin roof are splendid!

Who needs lush green meadows, or olive groves when you have brown desert?

Come on people! Put on some Cold chisel and crack open a tinny!.....
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:21 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Absolutely! I mean who would want that yucky Italian pasta or Spanish tapas when you can go to Hungry Jacks?

Nice to see someone gets my humour!
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

It wasn't lost on me...
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:31 am
Banned

It wasn't lost on me...
Just makes me laugh when people say things like "once you seen one church you've seen them all" I think Europe is slighty more diverse than that.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just been in woolworth, broke free from the usual check out banter, how are you/good/how are you............ and engaged in a conversation with people doing a trip around OZ. Said I had done most of that and would like to do another trip around USA, check out chick looked at me like I had 2heads skin and says why on earth would you want to do that, whats there you cant get here

I restrained from answering
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just been in woolworth, broke free from the usual check out banter, how are you/good/how are you............ and engaged in a conversation with people doing a trip around OZ. Said I had done most of that and would like to do another trip around USA, check out chick looked at me like I had 2heads skin and says why on earth would you want to do that, whats there you cant get here

I restrained from answering
And if you'd gone to the next checkout the conversation could have gone completely the other way. I know people who have never left the UK, South Africa, USA.

You get this kind of attitude everywhere.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Having so many different cultures within a few hours cheap flight away is fantastic, and something I miss hugely.
But then you have Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc which are only several hours away and it would take a lifetime to explore just those countries in detail.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde

So why not move there, why waste all the time and money involved in coming to Australia when you have a passport that automatically gives you the right to live in any of these fantastic European countries? What's the point in living in Australia if you are bitter or don't like it. I certainly couldn't do that.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by sr71
So why not move there, why waste all the time and money involved in coming to Australia when you have a passport that automatically gives you the right to live in any of these fantastic European countries? What's the point in living in Australia if you are bitter or don't like it. I certainly couldn't do that.

I think this is the main point of a lot of what is posted on BE. So many people unhappy/pissed off with life/conditions in Australia yet still continuing to live here.

It's a bizarre situation. I could never live in a place where I was unhappy.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sr71
But then you have Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand etc which are only several hours away and it would take a lifetime to explore just those countries in detail.
Lets be fair, they're more than just 'several' hours away. Singapore is around 5 hours, Thailand more than that. They're not exactly places you can pop to for a weekend without having a fair bit of travelling.

A couple of months ago we went to Singapore for a few days. Flying out Thur night and coming back Sunday. Now I love Singapore, but the amount of time you are flying (around 11 or 12 hours) simply defeats the purpose of going. Getting to various countries in Europe is a lot quicker, you can get pretty much anywhere in under 4 hours.

As I say, that's the one 'real' thing that I don't really enjoy about living in Perth/Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.