Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia better than the UK: OFFICIAL!

Wikiposts

Australia better than the UK: OFFICIAL!

Old Nov 17th 2004, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia better than the UK: OFFICIAL!

Originally Posted by andrew63
I spent the first 30 years of my life in England (Essex/London), 1 in Australia (ACT/NSW), next 10 in Ireland (Wexford/Wicklow/Kildare/Dublin) and now I am in Australia (QLD) for good (pending visa etc).
Ireland WAS fantastic compared to England at first but in the last 3 years, massive donward spiral in my learned opinion.
The divide between the rich and poor is massive, 21% VAT (GST) and 46% basic rate income tax. Look at the prices of goods and houses over there. You couldn't afford to live there any more. The weather? Oh the weather! The racism that is now abound, the highest road carnage rate per capita. Withe the advent of the Euro, it was a green light to rip Joe Public off big time! But the people in general were some of the nicest I have ever met.
Just my opinion, if I had to leave Australia, I would want to go back to Ireland for my friends and the lifestyle but being able to afford living somewhere nice would probably prohibit me.
Just my opinion

Andrew
I left (Republic of)Ireland 7 years ago because of the tax, expensive cost of living and the ridiculous house prices, they were rising twice as fast as my pay (and my pay way rocketing about 17% a year). I finally decided I'd never be able to afford a house and would be stuck renting a Dublin City centre apartment the rest of my life unless I left.

Best decision I ever made, moved up to Northern Ireland, got a nice house, good job, finally felt I was making progress.

If Ireland is top of that list, then sorry, but the list is sloblocks.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:15 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Had to bump this thread up, or I might miss getting some points scored off me by The Good Mr Stanton. Only reason why I visit this forum.....

'YOU'VE BEEN STANTONED!'

Anya.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 8:47 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craig Brooke
Should have known - our Polish cleaners name is Anya!!.

Now, the pizzas here are just FANTASTIC that is the one thing that I will miss when we finally escape. I'll never eat a Deep Pan again. You're also right about their clothes and especially the sunglasses, they're so vain its untrue. Most of the mirrors in the cars are not pointing backwards but towards the driver so they can check that they look their best - no bleedin wonder they can't drive then eh? : Sorrento is nice but then it has to be for the tourists, venture into Napoli itself and North of the city where we are and its the absolute pits.

Anywhere will be heaven after this, even London :scared:

Ciao, Ciao
A guy of italian extraction, has just won a competion ,in New york as the best plzza maker in the world, and he happens to live in good old ADELAIDE, apparently his strawberry/Mixedberry dessert pizza "blew the American judges "away, his scallop sea food pizza was to "die for"........ mm
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I'm wrong but a bit of a pattern seems to be emerging here. You can argue over the criteria used to evaluate what 'best' means - but, Australia is 6th in this poll, Melbourne was equal 1st and Sydney 5th (?) in the most liveable city survey and Australia had a number of universities in the recent top 50 'world's best' universities. All surveys incidentally were British and perhaps we'll leave it to Mike to remind us how eminent the BBC and 'The Economist' are so he can at least score some points out of it.

I've holidayed admittedly in Ireland, quite a few times, Austria many times also. Despite the other comments I'm not surprised Ireland tops the poll and I am also surprised Austria (Australia without al as an Osterreicher once chuckled to me; some of them wear T Shirts with no kangaroos here) isn't higher up. Canada misses out because it is too close to the USA and it also has a French connection (I'm only joking). I've been in Portugal a few times and my experience anyway was that they were the opposite of rude, I can't speak for the traffic policemen though.

(Anya you would love the Professor Morrie Suckfizzle character in Bryce Courtenay's Four Fires - former Professor of Surgery at Krakow University, forced to be a 'reffo' in Australia) There's a giant change of topic in a thread if ever I saw one!

OzTennis
Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
How do you explain this, Mike Stanton, Kong and eatstatic
But l guess we don't need statistics to explain what everyone already knows.
Jeez, what did I miss while I was in the vast brown land? If only I had realised how lucky I was being in Oz

The list pretty much reflects how boring most of these countries are : the higher up the list, the more boring. Switzerland and Luxembourg have got to be 2 of the dullest countries in the universe. As are their inhabitants. I worked in Lux for 2 years. It is even more insular and small-minded than Oz, and that's saying something.

For some people, wombat42, you will find there is more to life than sun, BBQs and large houses. You're not one of them. But, just like your namesake, you are continually digging yourself into a hole.

If you don't want stimulation (which must be the case, as you live in Adelaide), the top 7 will more than meet your needs.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Nov 18th 2004 at 2:13 am.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:36 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Jeez, what did I miss while I was in the vast brown land? If only I had realised how lucky I was being in Oz

The list pretty much reflects how boring most of these countries are : the higher up the list, the more boring. Switzerland and Luxembourg have got to be 2 of the dullest countries in the universe. As are their inhabitants. I worked in Lux for 2 years. It is even more insular and small-minded than Oz, and that's saying something.

For some people, wombat42, you will find there is more to life than sun, BBQs and large houses. You're not one of them. But, just like your namesake, you are continually digging yourself into a hole.
'
If you don't want stimulation (which must be the case, as you live in Adelaide), the top 7 will more than meet your needs.
Mike!

You said: 'Switzerland and Luxembourg have got to be 2 of the dullest countries in the universe. As are their inhabitants. I worked in Lux for 2 years.'

C'mon, you're being too tough on yourself. *I* don't think you're dull....

I knew you wouldn't let me down. What a *treasure*!

Anya xxxxxx

Last edited by anya4oz; Nov 18th 2004 at 8:57 am.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:36 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

Well, really starting to whittle down the States of Europe now - Germany is out, Switzerland and Luxembourg given the flick. Can we just have the bottom line list of the good ones?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:52 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

OK, listen up folks!!

I think it's time the Economist quit doing these rubbish surveys and focused on doing ones about things we *really* want to know. Do you agree? How about:

Capital cities rated by providing cleanest public bathrooms.

Capital cities rated by number of decent bookshops (sorry, Cambridge wins 1-10 in that category ).

Ditto CD/DVD shops.

Countries with the most attractive policemen (it's gotta be Portugal, with Italian mounted policemen with swords a close 2nd - you can see I've studied this)

Cities providing the best adult/sex shops (Amsterdam?).

Worldwide cities rated by traffic lines/congestion cities (Cambridge, Bangkok vie for =1?).

World cities rated by quality of public transport (Geneva? Amsterdam? near the top with London & Cambridge at 44,899 and 111,999 respectively).

World cities rated by quality of Chinese food (surely a no-brainer!)

Countries making/selling the best beer.

Ditto wine.

Countries rated in order of decent supermarkets (yes, Mike, I agree they are very good in the UK!).

For Polly: Cities rated by price/quality of lettuce available.

Just added: Cities/countries with the highest, most scary rollercoasters!!

And so on.

That'll keep them busy for a while - and get their sales volumes up, too...

Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; Nov 18th 2004 at 8:54 am.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:52 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Well, really starting to whittle down the States of Europe now - Germany is out, Switzerland and Luxembourg given the flick. Can we just have the bottom line list of the good ones?
Ireland! Oh no, apparently that's too expensive......
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:54 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
OK, listen up folks!!

I think it's time the Economist quit doing these rubbish surveys and focused on doing ones about things we *really* want to know. Do you agree? How about:

Capital cities rated by providing cleanest public bathrooms.

Capital cities rated by number of decent bookshops (sorry, Cambridge wins 1-10 in that category ).

Ditto CD/DVD shops.

Countries with the most attractive policemen (it's gotta be Portugal, with Italian mounted policemen with swords a close 2nd - you can see I've studied this)

Cities providing the best adult/sex shops (Amsterdam?).

Worldwide cities rated by traffic lines/congestion cities (Cambridge, Bangkok vie for =1?).

World cities rated by quality of public transport (Geneva? Amsterdam? neat the top with London & Cambridge at 44,899 and 111,999 respectively).

World cities rated by quality of Chinese food (surely a no-brainer!)

Countries making/selling the best beer.

Ditto wine.

Countries rated in order of decent supermarkets (yes, Mike, I agree they are very good in the UK!).

For Polly: Cities rated by price/quality of lettuce available.

And so on.

That'll keep them busy for a while - and get their sales volumes up, too...

Anya.
LOL, that's more like it! I'll pay attention to that list any day!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:56 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by tonyk38
LOL, that's more like it! I'll pay attention to that list any day!
Tony

How about:

Countries rated by those affording the best birdwatching?

Anya.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Tony

How about:

Countries rated by those affording the best birdwatching?

Anya.
In that case.......here's my top ten:

1. Costa Rica.
2. Tanzania.
3. Peru.
4. Ecuador.
5. Israel.
6. India.
7. Thailand.
8. Kenya.
9. Australia.
10.South Africa.

This list is entirely spurious, highly suspect and totally biased, so there!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

Ireland has many good qualities (but as you all are aware the weather is not one of them) however the black stuff is excellent the poteen even better if you can hack drinking it the food not too bad either and the crack is the best love ireland
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:04 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally Posted by tonyk38
In that case.......here's my top ten:

1. Costa Rica.
2. Tanzania.
3. Peru.
4. Ecuador.
5. Israel.
6. India.
7. Thailand.
8. Kenya.
9. Australia.
10.South Africa.

This list is entirely spurious, highly suspect and totally biased, so there!
Tony

Shame on you - why isn't SOT on there (she'll get upset.... )?

Anya.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Tony

Shame on you - why isn't SOT on there (she'll get upset.... )?

Anya.
I'll put that at number 11!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.