British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Australia for Austalians I dont think so. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/australia-austalians-i-dont-think-so-261128/)

jad n rich Oct 20th 2004 1:26 am

Australia for Austalians I dont think so.

We have just finished constructing a simple little home for a young girl aged 23 buying her first home, shes aussie through and through born bred the lot.

Her mum and dad helped her out a bit with a cash gift because she had no hope of getting a mortage for the full amount.

Now house is finished, shes living in it alone genuine first home owner.

Now it looks like she cant get her $7000 FHOG because of cash gift from parents.

Frankly this sucks, you can get off the plane here, owning 10 properties if you like in any other country and get your free cash, well taxpayers cash.

Aussie kid buying first home - forget it.

This countrys losing the bloody plot.

scoobydoo Oct 20th 2004 1:31 am

Re: Australia for Austalians I dont think so.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
We have just finished constructing a simple little home for a young girl aged 23 buying her first home, shes aussie through and through born bred the lot.

Her mum and dad helped her out a bit with a cash gift because she had no hope of getting a mortage for the full amount.

Now it looks like she cant get her $7000 FHOG because of cash gift from parents.

Frankly this sucks, you can get off the plane here, owning 10 properties if you like in any other country and get your free cash, well taxpayers cash.

That is just crazy. What is the point of the FHOG if someone like her can't get it? :confused:

jad n rich Oct 20th 2004 1:37 am

Originally Posted by scoobydoo
That is just crazy. What is the point of the FHOG if someone like her can't get it? :confused:

I've never had anything to do with FHOG before but after we heard this, had a look, it would seem with me as a builder if any of my sons got me to build their house, (not likely as they are too young but none the less) they would be disqualified too :eek:

Ceri Oct 20th 2004 1:48 am

I don't really understand that. If she is the owner of that house, her name, and not her parents are on the contracts etc, and never owned a home before, she should be entitled to the grant.

Has she rang the revenue office to talk to someone about it ?
It seems all wrong. Plenty of kids here have money off their parents to buy a home, how do they get the grant?

I've applied and got the grant, and can't recall seeing anything about
cash gifts on the forms that you fill out ( not that I had a cash gift, but I can't recall seeing anything about this on the application forms). How would the revenue office know that she got money from her parents?
If she gets no joy, what about obudsman?

seems so wrong to me that she can't get the grant

podgypossum Oct 20th 2004 1:58 am

As Ceri says..how would they know where she got the money from? If thats the case, we shouldnt be entitled either, as part of the deposit money we will be putting on a house will come from my husbands inheritance!!!

...and if you were building your sons house why would you need to tell them who you were?

I think there must be some misunderstanding somewhere..it all sounds ludicrous

jad n rich Oct 20th 2004 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Ceri
I don't really understand that. If she is the owner of that house, her name, and not her parents are on the contracts etc, and never owned a home before should be entitled to the grant.

Has she rang the revenue office to talk to someone about it ?
It seems all wrong. Plenty of kids here have money off their parents to buy a home, how do they get the grant?

I've applied and got the grant, and can't recall seeing anything about
cash gifts on forms that you fill out. How would the revenue office know that she got money from her parents?
If she gets no joy, what about obudsman?

seems so wrong to me that she can't get the grant

I looked on the website thinking they must have got someting wrong but there is a sort of disclosure statement asking if you have any relatives with an interest, ie loans, gifts, building, trusts, anything financial to do with the house really.

That page is new this year they said? but its definately part of the application.

I'd imagine most kids must get a helping hand from someone with house prices the way they are now, bit rude to slap them in the face for it when you can walk in from overseas and claim what you like!

ABCDiamond Oct 20th 2004 2:01 am

The Disqualifying arrangements are listed at: http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/gas/fhog/disqualifying.htm

It seems to relate to the person providing some of the funds, and then occupying the property. The example you have given seems to be different to this, and they should appeal.

eg:
The commissioner may refuse a grant, or recover a grant which has been paid and impose penalties, where either:-

1. a related person, who is not entitled to the grant provides financial assistance to an applicant to purchase or build a home and then occupies or uses the home to a significant extent or frequently,
2. the commissioner is satisfied there is an intentional arrangement, the sole or main purpose of which is to obtain the grant, rather than acquire a home.

In genuine cases, the commissioner has a discretion to allow the grant.

jad n rich Oct 20th 2004 2:10 am

Originally Posted by podgypossum
As Ceri says..how would they know where she got the money from? If thats the case, we shouldnt be entitled either, as part of the deposit money we will be putting on a house will come from my husbands inheritance!!!

...and if you were building your sons house why would you need to tell them who you were?

I think there must be some misunderstanding somewhere..it all sounds ludicrous

They ask! when you go into the form for applications after 2004 this disclosure thing comes up, asking all about family and relevant interests.
Just replied about it to Ceri

Ceri Oct 20th 2004 2:11 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The Disqualifying arrangements are listed at: http://www.osr.qld.gov.au/gas/fhog/disqualifying.htm

this above

phone the revenue office and explain the situation.. they do allow discretion for sure.
When I applied, I applied for the 10. But the finished date of the building went over the time limit for the extra 3 grand - I phoned the revenue office, and they said get an explanation letter from my builder to include in the application for the extra 3 grand grant. It went before a panel to decide - They awarded me the extra 3 grand ( 10 thou grant), as it was a genuine case of not our fault the time limit for applying for the extra 3 thou.

They do allow some things at their own discretion. Perhaps, if you haven't already, phone them up.. or she should phone up. Or, maybe go to the office in Brisbane.

cheers

podgypossum Oct 20th 2004 2:16 am

Well..according to what ABC Diamond has just dug up, this girl has either filled out the forms worng or she needs to make an appeal. Also, it seems you would be perfectly within your rights to build your sons house as long as you werent living in it.

ABCDiamond Oct 20th 2004 2:17 am

I've never had anything to do with FHOG before but after we heard this, had a look, it would seem with me as a builder if any of my sons got me to build their house, (not likely as they are too young but none the less) they would be disqualified too :eek:

You'll be OK doing that, and they will be entitled to the Grant, as long as you don't go and live with them in the house you build them :)

jad n rich Oct 20th 2004 2:20 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

It seems to relate to the person providing some of the funds, and then occupying the property. The example you have given seems to be different to this, and they should appeal.

eg:
The commissioner may refuse a grant, or recover a grant which has been paid and impose penalties, where either:-

1. a related person, who is not entitled to the grant provides financial assistance to an applicant to purchase or build a home and then occupies or uses the home to a significant extent or frequently,
2. the commissioner is satisfied there is an intentional arrangement, the sole or main purpose of which is to obtain the grant, rather than acquire a home.

I gather they know the kids parents are not living there, it seems to be a problem with the loan/gift thing, ie that someone else chipped in is the problem as if that makes it not entirely her propety alone :confused: even thos its in her name. No doubt some legal definition I dont understand, but they are going to appeal. I know a I would!!

Edit, Yes the problem is the loan not the parents shacking up. Cant really ask exactly how it was set up, but that is the bone of contention, seems family arrangements/loans have been used in the past not just as a helping hand, but a dodgy way of gaining FHOG's, remember when people were claiming the grant for newborns etc?? So now they come under extra scrutiny, with the form addendum to FHOG being required.

Ceri Oct 20th 2004 4:53 am

Edit, Yes the problem is the loan not the parents shacking up. Cant really ask exactly how it was set up, but that is the bone of contention, seems family arrangements/loans have been used in the past not just as a helping hand, but a dodgy way of gaining FHOG's, remember when people were claiming the grant for newborns etc?? So now they come under extra scrutiny, with the form addendum to FHOG being required.

a gift is a gift.. going through what you have posted, I would take a guess it was a "legal": loan from the parents, something in writing - and not a true gift, so they own part of the house , and if she defaults they can sell it to recover their money. Or they took a loan out to give to the daughter, on the basis of her property, If that makes any sense.

I'm totally , totally guessing here, but reading through this thread it seems it
is is not a true "gift" .. I think they "loaned" her the money, and something is in writing along the line, or they took a loan out to give to the daughter using "her" soon to be home.

A gift is a gift..Going through what you have posted, I would take a guess it was a "legal": loan from the parents, maybe something in writing - and not a true gift, so they own part of the house , and if she defaults they can sell it to recover their money.

Or they have taken out a loan with their bank to give her this "gift" using that house for the loan

Part of that home may be theirs in writing, by loans

Just a guess.. and I may be totally off on the wrong road here . But something is not right.
cheers