Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia as it is

Wikiposts

Australia as it is

Old Oct 11th 2002, 5:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Australia as it is

Originally posted by plucka:

You are right is some sense but at the end of the day the SE is where the action is. From my experiences the rest of the UK is nice for a weekend away but for the most part are on the decline. Also problems like crime, overcrowding, pollution and pathetic pubic services like health and education are a UK wide problem. And of course you still need to very rich to own any kind of a decent house (by aussie standards) anywhere in pommyland. I wont even mention the climate.

can buy a house next to the sea in south wales, for 60 grand...gower, bungalow from say 55 . A nice house would cost you 80 to 100 grand (pounds).
cheaper than australia.

Without "slagging" off Australia too much... it's the worst mistake I've ever made, and I travel, I came to Australia with my job, lived in asia , before Oz., then moved.. I go with the company...

But to be honest with you Australia really is the worst country I have ever had the pleasure of living in, my opinion. Where do I start??
cheers

P.S

"let them find out for themselves.... "
It's funny really people arguing with PB , or whoever.

PB... let them find out for themselves..... you are not going to win... seriously let them find out Australia for themselves... then say "I told you so" ..

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 11th 2002 at 5:52 am.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

laurash is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm absolutely amazed at the way you all slag off London- in my opinion ( and having lived there for 4 years) London is one of the most exciting cities anywhere. The one thing you always know about London is that it will surprise you. Where else in the world can you find the history, entertainment, architecture, markets and multicultural melange that exists in London? Every time I go there I get excited at the thought of finding something new and I am contemplating moving to Oz? mmmmmmm -am starting to wonder these days. The truth is that living in London on a poor salary is probably crap and yes, commuting is crap but you don't have to live there to work there. I suspect that if you really hate London it's because you have lost sight of the great city it is- the city beyond trains/ tubes and getting to work.You only have to walk around looking upwards to fill days!! If you really hate it you are probably a country person and would be better off in Oz. I can see criticising the UK for many things ( and by the way our education system is still reckoned to be one of the best in the world even if it does get full on media attention- students from the UK consistently achieve highly when compared to many other countries). However I thinkall the ' grass is geener' brigade on this site should start to look at why they are emigrating. Are you soooooo sure that Oz offers a better life? On the outdoors/ sport/ weather issues I'm sure it does but you only have to live in Sydney for a few weeks to know that for culture/ history and entertainment there is no way that it stacks up against the UK.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by plucka:

>>>>

Seen the exhange rate recently loser? almost 3 to 1- music to my ears but boy it must hurt you eh? <<<<<

This post is amazing, surely if you are planning to return to Australia, then arn't you the one with egg on your face dollar wise. After all you are the one who will be earning the Cr*p currency?

Also if Australia is so great!! why the heck does it have a currency that is about as valuable as slightly used totty paper?
Old Oct 11th 2002, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

>>>>>. Couldn't be more different than Aus- the vast majority of people don't litter, its because we are bought up to have pride in our country. Those that do litter are immediatley given dirty looks by everyone around them, hence our cities are clean. We even have national clean-up days and the like. To me this sums up everything- UK- lazy, no pride, dont give a shit about anything but themselves. Aus- proud of our country, make a small effort to get good results, bringing our childern up with respect.
Plucka, how long since you were in Aus. Currently in Brisbane the garbos are on strike, streets have a very definate whiff about them. Lovely squirmy maggotts crawling out of bins everywhere.

Clean up days, OK if Aussies dont litter then why do they need brigades of people on clean up days to pick up thousands of tons of rubbish? How did it get there then?

How do most bush fires here start, by idiots chucking their Fag Ends out of car windows, that must really be caring about Australia.

As for Sydney and Melbourne, drive around at 1am and you will see grottier places than you can imagine, we saw stuff that made Camden Town look serene.

Be fair to the people immigrating here and stop making out Australia is a Soap Powder Ad.
Old Oct 11th 2002, 5:57 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thats right, Like I said before I've made the most of my time here and unlike you am not sad and bitter (ie a failure). I've milked this country of enough cash so its time to go back and enjoy the goodlife. Why do I have to keep repeating myself to you? I know the UK education system is shite now but I didn't realise it was as bad back when you were in school, of course assuming you went to one.
Sorry had to rush off and leave to talk bollocks on your own on Friday, but happy hour at the GBT in Joondalup was more important Brit beer at $4.0 a pint nearly as good as UK.
Great Britian is a member of the G8 the most powerful club in the world today the members of this club run the world, where as Australia is a country of hole diggers big deal.
I came to Aussie for a change of weather got that and little else.You went to UK as a an economic refugee fleeing from crap wages and poor jobs be thankful they would have you.
Come back to the arse end of the World and rot with your half wit pals down here. Good Luck you will need it
Old Oct 11th 2002, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard:

Great Britian is a member of the G8 the most powerful club in the world today the members of this club run the world, where as Australia is a country of hole diggers big deal.
I

Just for the record PB and to put this silly argument in perspective, I'd be surprised if GB had a significantly higher GNP than California. ANYWAY this selection from your last post pretty much encapsulates what is becoming tedious, and no doubt negative for prospective migrants, about this forum. Prospective migrants need to get beneath some of the petty personal rubbish espoused on this site and decide what's right for them.

There are things that are better about the UK and things that are better about OZ. At the end of the day each person has to make up their own mind as to what is most important for them. For me, I've just been for a walk on the beach (Perth) in beautiful sunshine with a gentle breeze - I can't do this in London. Conversely I can't go and see world class (West End) theatre in Perth. I prefer the former, that doesn't make London a sh*t place. For *me* on that score, then, Perth is a better place to live.

Like sport, outdoor lifestyle, laid back attitude, friendly locals - you'd probably love Perth. Aversion or indifference to those factors and a slightly insular/parochial attitude, prefer easy travel to a variety of sophisticated continental cultures, great media, a fantastic large city buzz - well then don't come here because you'll find the former not the latter and disappointment will be inevitable.

Perhaps at the end of the day it comes down to economics. I can't speak for others, and PB clearly feels differently, but for us the cost of living is way lower here (or alternatively the standard is higher). We can live on a single salary in Perth at virtually the same lifestyle as we had in the UK on 2 (We were in the S.E. let it be said). That's great for us, but perhaps if you're earning 80k or more in the UK coming here is not a great move. I am sure it also depends on what you spend your money on. We're not interested in the latest Beamer/Merc/Porsche......if you are, stay away.

I am also somewhat mystified by this fixation with the exchange rate. We came and intend to stay in Oz permanently - if we can't afford to buy a house in the UK in 5 years time so what? If that's such a big problem for others, get one there before you leave (or don't leave). Personally I have no doubt that when you've got nothing to go back to, you far more likely to try harder in whatever new country you go to rather than 'running' home at the first sign of any difficulty.

Finally, do you homework. This forum only represents a small minority of people who migrate every year (and /or contribute to the discussion) . In statistical terms we are in such a skewed distribution that we could not even begin to be considered representative. It might not be all roses, but what the heck, you've only got one life take a chance if it doesn't work at least your life will be enriched by the experience.

DPR

PS Just for the record, I am a physiotherapist and not a well-heeled IT boffin
Old Oct 13th 2002, 11:54 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dpr21:

Just for the record PB and to put this silly argument in perspective, I'd be surprised if GB had a significantly higher GNP than California. ANYWAY this selection from your last post pretty much encapsulates what is becoming tedious, and no doubt negative for prospective migrants, about this forum. Prospective migrants need to get beneath some of the petty personal rubbish espoused on this site and decide what's right for them.

There are things that are better about the UK and things that are better about OZ. At the end of the day each person has to make up their own mind as to what is most important for them. For me, I've just been for a walk on the beach (Perth) in beautiful sunshine with a gentle breeze - I can't do this in London. Conversely I can't go and see world class (West End) theatre in Perth. I prefer the former, that doesn't make London a sh*t place. For *me* on that score, then, Perth is a better place to live.

DPR

PS Just for the record, I am a physiotherapist and not a well-heeled IT boffin

I am sure you are better off in Australia seeing that what you do is very well paid , most here earn less than $16 an hour if they are lucky, min wage is $8 per hour and thats all some get.
Costs are related to what you earn , a lot of Poms feel well off when they first get here thanks to the money they bought with them , then down the track the true cost of living here kicks in.
Debt is far higher here than UK , I would say that most soon find they have less disposable income than they had in UK.
Great Britian has the Worlds 4th largest economy this is why its in G8 ,to join this club you need to be in the top 8 World wide , wheres Australia?

Old Oct 13th 2002, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Great Britian has the Worlds 4th largest economy this is why its in G8 ,to join this club you need to be in the top 8 World wide , wheres Australia?

You have totally missed the point of my last post. I am well aware of what and who the G8 nations are. However you need to get some perspective and consider how it is all relative anyway. Comparing the GNP of Oz to the UK is the 'same' as comparing the UK's GNP to that of the US. As I said earlier, and repeat here, I doubt that the GNP of the UK is significantly larger than that of (at max) a few multiples of California ALONE. So if you really want to start talking economics, much as I hate to admit it, the US runs the show and the rest of us are dragged along in the wake (whether members of the G8 or not).

DPR

PS send me some Guinness please
Old Oct 13th 2002, 7:29 pm
Banned

Originally posted by dpr21:

You have totally missed the point of my last post. I am well aware of what and who the G8 nations are. However you need to get some perspective and consider how it is all relative anyway. Comparing the GNP of Oz to the UK is the 'same' as comparing the UK's GNP to that of the US. As I said earlier, and repeat here, I doubt that the GNP of the UK is significantly larger than that of (at max) a few multiples of California ALONE. So if you really want to start talking economics, much as I hate to admit it, the US runs the show and the rest of us are dragged along in the wake (whether members of the G8 or not).

DPR

PS send me some Guinness please

Where as I agree about America runing the show , but its better to be in pack than outside of it ,some input is better than none.
Australia is a want to be , hanging on to America shirt tails cost it dear at the weekend.
Even though UK is Americas biggest ally its power lays in the EEC , and could get by without USA .Best Wishes

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 13th 2002 at 7:50 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2002, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

PB- why did you decide to emigrate. I have to say that what DPR says about what he considers is a good standard of living- clean air, a walk on the beach, living on 1 rather than 2 wages are some of the main reasons we are going. I would love to say that i will miss the culture, history and theatre etc but in reality, like most British people, we aspire to be cultured but rarely get off our bums to go to these places (the last thing i saw at the theatre was Noddy).
I would love to know what dreams you had when you left the UK. It is a shame it hasnt worked for you as it must be awful to admit defeat, especially when so many people love it there and settle forever. I guess you can at least admit you've failed and go back to the UK with your head held high. Most people wouldnt have the balls to do what you have done and at least give it a go. I only hope your children will thank you for it when they are back there./ I never forgave my parents for bringing me back to this hell hole of a country.
Old Oct 13th 2002, 11:49 pm
plucka

Originally posted by dotty:

Plucka, how long since you were in Aus. Currently in Brisbane the garbos are on strike, streets have a very definate whiff about them. Lovely squirmy maggotts crawling out of bins everywhere.

And how often do they go on strike? In my lifetime I've seen it happen maybe twice. London on the otherhand is like this everyday.

Clean up days, OK if Aussies dont litter then why do they need brigades of people on clean up days to pick up thousands of tons of rubbish? How did it get there then?

Stupid comment dotty. Of course there is still litter like any country, its just a lot less than the UK.

How do most bush fires here start, by idiots chucking their Fag Ends out of car windows, that must really be caring about Australia.

Wrong again, most are started by lightning strikes.

As for Sydney and Melbourne, drive around at 1am and you will see grottier places than you can imagine, we saw stuff that made Camden Town look serene.

I cant comment on Sydney and Melbourne, I'm sure there a patches of grottiness around but unlike the UK it's not invested over the entire country.

Be fair to the people immigrating here and stop making out Australia is a Soap Powder Ad.
Go home whinging pom.

Old Oct 13th 2002, 11:55 pm
plucka

Sorry had to rush off and leave to talk bollocks on your own on Friday, but happy hour at the GBT in Joondalup was more important Brit beer at $4.0 a pint nearly as good as UK.
I came to Aussie for a change of weather got that and little else.You went to UK as a an economic refugee fleeing from crap wages and poor jobs be thankful they would have you.
Come back to the arse end of the World and rot with your half wit pals down here. Good Luck you will need it
Luck I don't need mate. I'm returning with money and skills, in fact just bought a nice 1000 sq metre block on land in Brisbane for the price of a toilet sized piece of land in England. Should be well big enough for my 5 bedroom house and pool. If anyone needs luck its you PB, going back with your handfull of $'s your never going to get back on the property ladder. So how does it feel to of wasted the last 4 years of your life, hehehehe, LOSER!

Old Oct 14th 2002, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point

Luck I don't need mate. I'm returning with money and skills, in fact just bought a nice 1000 sq metre block on land in Brisbane for the price of a toilet sized piece of land in England. Should be well big enough for my 5 bedroom house and pool. If anyone needs luck its you PB, going back with your handfull of $'s your never going to get back on the property ladder. So how does it feel to of wasted the last 4 years of your life, hehehehe, LOSER!
arrogant little tosspot. i normally dont like getting involved in these kind of "productive debates", but little w@nkers like you really make me want to return to the UK - because there are so many of you bigotted little minded idiots wanting to come over here.

come over to Brisbane - i kinda hope you fall flat on your @rse so that you may get the kind of sympathy / objective commentary you so lovingly give out.

regards

a Brit in Oz praying every day that uneducated little tosspots dont come over here - because that is why he left the UK in the first place.

p.s please come back with a snide / two syllable (max) remark - people like you always feel best with the last word.
Old Oct 14th 2002, 12:49 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Grub:
PB- why did you decide to emigrate. I have to say that what DPR says about what he considers is a good standard of living- clean air, a walk on the beach, living on 1 rather than 2 wages are some of the main reasons we are going. I would love to say that i will miss the culture, history and theatre etc but in reality, like most British people, we aspire to be cultured but rarely get off our bums to go to these places (the last thing i saw at the theatre was Noddy).
I would love to know what dreams you had when you left the UK. It is a shame it hasnt worked for you as it must be awful to admit defeat, especially when so many people love it there and settle forever. I guess you can at least admit you've failed and go back to the UK with your head held high. Most people wouldnt have the balls to do what you have done and at least give it a go. I only hope your children will thank you for it when they are back there./ I never forgave my parents for bringing me back to this hell hole of a country.

I came because like you other people told me bull in order to build themselfs up, as for beaches most here never bother with the beach, a walk in the English countryside is far better in any weather.
Where I lived in UK had a lot cleaner air than Perth , in winter here the air is thick with wood burners and car pollution come summer the arseholes burn off the areas around Perth I love it , my wifes asthma is worse a big problem here.
The job I have is best paid in Perth for my line of work is that a failure? this company had 450 employees when I started ,there are now 130 of us left I would say Ive done a great job.If you think its possible to live on one wage here dream on no one I know is doing that ,some wifes do work part time because thats all they can get.
My son never came out with us and is doing very well in UK ,has a detached home and a new sports car lives with a girlfriend who also has a good job both have looked at pay and cost of living here and would not come here to live.They both have good honours Degrees gained in UK , and are very happy with their life there, love hiking and run marathons and trips to Europe at 26 years old they are doing far better than most here in Australia.

From his last Email they live in the Midlands.

"I ran the Great North Run (13.1 miles) in just 1:56 !! I was really chuffed about that and it was a great day out in Tyneside too. "

My wife just had a crown refixed at a cost of $300 and no rebate from Medicare Private we had used it up, he already had taken $800 for the job last year ,for the same thing in UK that my son had done for no charge.

"My crown fell out after a couple of years too, only they were able to put it back in for free, but that was an NHS dentist though."

We know of lots kids who out grow Perth and WA and in order to get employment leave both, either go over East or to Europe even live up North god help them.
We will go back because we are both miss UK and feel very limited out here , people we know here think we are are doing well mores the pity.Best Wishes

Last edited by pommie bastard; Oct 14th 2002 at 7:31 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2002, 3:01 pm
Banned

It is 9 wasted years , nice to know you did well in UK after all your whinging.Houses do not impress me location does , arse end of the World is just that.
Yes the Micky Mouse Dollar is worth sod all did you know why? I will tell you Australia is carrying a National debt that is equal to 3 times its GNP , where as the UK has none, this is a Argentina waiting to happen , women and children first all hands to the life boat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.