Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

aussies what are they really like

aussies what are they really like

Old Apr 17th 2006, 12:25 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: !

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
!

You're at uni, which means that you could easily transfer your course to another state if you wanted to - but for some strange reason, you haven't done this. You go on and on about how bad WA is and how horrible Perth people are, but this hasn't stopped you living in Perth since the mid 90s - even though there is nothing to stop you from moving interstate.

Nope, can't follow the rationale there. Sorry.

How long is this uni course, anyway? You've already had ten years!
I have not spent 10 yrs at uni: I actually worked for a while here and then I travelled around OZ abit. I only came back to perth cos my bro got remarried and my sis was lonely, otherwise I'd have stayed in Adelaide.

No it's not that easy to change mid course to an interstate uni, you lose many credits you already have passed.

Yes I don't like perth but fortuantely I should be able to remedy that situation next year (all going well)
Old Apr 19th 2006, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: aussies what are they really like

Originally Posted by cdandi
"aussies what are they really like'

I lived here in Sydney for 19 years before leaving and living in the US for 7 years. I've been back in Sydney for 3 months......my impressions of Sydneysiders, and Australians sadly has not changed! Aussies are jealous, materialistic, cold, cruel individuals who mask themselves with a "laidback, good humoured" pretence. They pride themselves on mateship when they don't even understand what "friendship" is really about.
here here you have just hit the naik right on the head
Old May 14th 2006, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

zermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud ofzermanedz has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=kiwichild]Just realised you live in PERTH! This is the most unfriendly, arrogant, pretentious, materialistic, bland, boring, lifeless, souless city in OZ I have ever been to! And if you hate the AFL overkill then you'll skip the news on the commercial stations and 6PR radio. ABC is heaps better.

All going well I'm off to Melbourne or Tassie next year[/QUOTE

Hi I'm another kiwi in Oz. Melbourne is really great and the people seem really nice. As I lived in the UK for a long time some of them think I'm English and are really nice and even comment on my lovely English accent (lol!).

I find them to be a little like the East Enders and that suits us just fine. Hubbie finds them a little more open that the kiwis. Sometimes I wonder why he married one!!!
Old May 14th 2006, 4:58 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
They love to dish it out but can't take it themselves!

Ah yes. Once you realise this you will be able to understand any Aussie.
Old May 14th 2006, 5:30 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turtletom
I think the aussies carry a big chip on their shoulder becuase they know that the English are better than them. Thats my opinion anyways.

"Small Man Syndrome"

Most Aussies have it.
Old May 14th 2006, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
Ah yes. Once you realise this you will be able to understand any Aussie.
Rubbish, in my experience.

They can take it as well as dish it out, otherwise, why would they bother, at some point, they would find themselves on top and noone else to dish it out to - it's an impossible situation - think about it. Who ends up at the bottom?! lol. If someone is dishing it out, by definition someone is on the receiving end..never mind...Anyway, as I've said before, I didn't realise anyone was keeping 'score'. I just get on with people and try to respect people and learn from them and share.

Beside..I've said it before, if they can't take it, they can't take if from YOU, you're obviously a bit of a awkward sod. I know stacks of English blokes who go in guns blazing (chip on both shoulders) and they get quizzical looks. I see these same English blokes giving it large amongst their own countrymen, it's ignorance.

Show me anyone who says these sorts of things, and I'll show you a flawed and jealous, insecure character. I've seen tens of people say these things, and they've always had a flaw or a prejudice.

The common acusations people often level can often be applied to any section of society - anywhere - anyway.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; May 14th 2006 at 10:03 am.
Old May 14th 2006, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

I think this sums up the Aussies... quick vid - NWS
Old May 14th 2006, 10:17 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Rubbish, in my experience.

They can take it as well as dish it out, otherwise, why would they bother, at some point, they would find themselves on top and noone else to dish it out to - it's an impossible situation - think about it. Who ends up at the bottom?! lol. If someone is dishing it out, by definition someone is on the receiving end..never mind...Anyway, as I've said before, I didn't realise anyone was keeping 'score'. I just get on with people and try to respect people and learn from them and share.

Beside..I've said it before, if they can't take it, they can't take if from YOU, you're obviously a bit of a awkward sod. I know stacks of English blokes who go in guns blazing (chip on both shoulders) and they get quizzical looks. I see these same English blokes giving it large amongst their own countrymen, it's ignorance.

Show me anyone who says these sorts of things, and I'll show you a flawed and jealous, insecure character. I've seen tens of people say these things, and they've always had a flaw or a prejudice.

The common acusations people often level can often be applied to any section of society - anywhere - anyway.
Have to disagree with you. Aussies don't know when to quit taking the piss out of someone. Every other nationality I've ever met does. This would indicate to me that they are the insecure ones. Of course it does depend on the circle you hang with to some extent
Old May 14th 2006, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing this site shows me time and time again is ignorance. I'm all for having a bit of fun but ignorance, spite and intolerance will always make people unhappy.

I know it sounds profound but a bit of tolerance, gumption and a willing to learn and it will get you anywhere with anyone. I've met fantastic people all my life and they don't just sling mud around all the time.

It makes me sad to see people pointing the finger, that's the only reason why I feel the need to post.

cheers

Badge
Old May 14th 2006, 10:21 am
Banned

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
I think this sums up the Aussies... quick vid - NWS
Have to admit I pissed myself laughing (well almost) when I seen this advert on tv. Bloody brilliant. I think you have a point too
Old May 14th 2006, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Have to disagree with you. Aussies don't know when to quit taking the piss out of someone. Every other nationality I've ever met does. This would indicate to me that they are the insecure ones. Of course it does depend on the circle you hang with to some extent
Kiwi, I'm sorry, but I feel desperately sorry for you. Really I do. Listen, you need a change mate, you really do. How about the Greeks, I know lots of people in other countries that take the piss constantly. The Irish like to have a joke too. I don't believe that society's are inherently insecure, especially when a country has so much going for it and lets be really honest, Australia has as much going for it as many.

I used to be in one of the most elite regiments in the world, we loved rubbing other regiments noses in it as a joke, this was due to self-confidence not insecurity. They hated it because they had no comeback. We were having fun and enjoyed it. We felt a million dollars. Anyone could do what we did, if they wanted to, so it was not an issue for us.We KNEW we were doing OK, like many Australians, I can actually see this in Australian sometimes. The only people who point at insecurity are insecure people and people who are paid to analyse 'insecurity', academics, medical professons and pschylogists - think about its true.

Mate it depends like the hell on the people you hang around with, thats what we're saying. I know people that banter and have fun, and they are not insecure, far from it, its their confidence that allows them to do this without getting personal. One of the things I love about the best friends I was lucky to know all over the world is the ability for them to have a bit of fun yet its NEVER personal. There's too much to do to have time to make it personal. It's also respect.

You sound like you really cop it. Look at yourself, and your mates. If your friends have no respect for you, go elsewhere.

Last edited by thatsnotquiteright; May 14th 2006 at 10:42 am.
Old May 14th 2006, 11:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I think that last sentence is spot on.

Many people come to the other side of the planet having spent what - 20 or 30 years getting comfortable with a particular circle, type, situation and the rest. it's called a social circle. Then they down sticks in a totally unfamiliar, socially, environment. It can often go wrong if they find the people they now are amongst are very different from those they have found comfortable in the past.

Usually the answer is to hang in there and wait for things to pan out but in some cases I think another change of scenery is called for. Australia is no different to any other place: there are some places you (and here I mean "one" <g> ) would feel comfortable and others where you wouldn't.

I was having a round of golf the other day with one of the £5 immigrants (apparently the under 16s didn't have to fork out the whole £10) who came from the East End and went straight into jackarooing in the Queensland bush. He said that you had t learn very very quickly to give as good as you got or you went under within days.

I haven't had anything like this experience - I didn't settle in rural QLD and I feel very comfortable with the folk around here. But if I *had* ended up North I don't think I would have made it: I would have upped and tried somewhere else. Just not my scene.
Old May 14th 2006, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the UK for nearly two and a half years - and I'm still having to put up with convict jokes.

Been here for over 8, and the convict jokes NEVER stop.....got any good responses?
Old May 14th 2006, 10:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: aussies what are they really like

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Been here for over 8, and the convict jokes NEVER stop.....got any good responses?
I simply point out that my father was English and emigrated to the UK during the 60s, while my mother is a 1st Generation Aussie whose father emigrated to the UK during the 50s, after serving on the HMS Taciturn during WWII.

That shuts the b*****ds up like a half-brick to the face.

For any Aussie does have convict connections (or suspects that they might) I'd recommend that you raise the issue of where those convicts came from in the first place!

And if you're from South Australia, you have a distinct advantage, since SA is the only state which was not settled by convicts.

Consequently, convict jokes do not apply to you and can be dismissed with a mocking laugh at your antagonist's ignorance.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 15th 2006 at 4:28 am.
Old May 14th 2006, 10:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I simply point out that my father was English and emigrated to the UK during the 60s, while my mother is a 1st Generation Aussie whose father emigrated to the UK during the 50s, after serving on the HMS Taciturn during WWII.

That shuts the bastards up like a half-brick to the face.

For any Aussie does have convict connections (or suspects that they might) I'd recommend that you raise the issue of where those convicts came from in the first place!

And if you're from South Australia, you have a distinct advantage, since SA is the only state which was not settled by convicts.

Consequently, convict jokes do not apply to you and can be dismissed with a mocking laugh at your antagonist's ignorance.
Kind of the opposite of me then - my dad's a fifth generation aussie and I'm the first generation pom. I look on my being raised here as a failed experiment and I'm looking forward to putting it right ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.