British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Aussies hostile to immigrants? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aussies-hostile-immigrants-109002/)

summers family Jun 22nd 2002 10:12 pm

Aussies hostile to immigrants?

On a recent thread there were a lot of comments stating that Australians were hostile to , and didn't like immigrants. How big a problem is this? We don't want to move to the other side of the world and be victimised. We are not expecting immigration to be a bed of roses, but hopefully we would be given a fair chance in Australia.

As always your comment are appreciated. Thanks Carol.

Mandy Bale Jun 23rd 2002 12:37 am

Re: Aussies hostile to immigrants?

Well, we have been here for nearly 3 months and we haven't had any problems. I do get some 'looks' from people in shops and stuff when I start talking (Essex accent) but then that would be normal as I do sound different, it was just the same when I was up in a small Scottish town once! Most of the people I have spoken to either have family in England or know someone from England and they seem really nice. But i think it all depends on where you are thinking of going as I know there are some areas where there are clusters of certain migrants and i suppose it could be awkward if you are the only brit there! Bit like going to Brixton I suppose!! I certainly don't feel 'victimised' at all. In fact I feel right at home here and I am enjoying these beautiful sunny winter days! I mean how often can you go and have a picnic in the park in the middle of winter in the UK!!
I think if you come here feeling paranoid about being a Brit (I did to start with!) then you are going to feel victimised so you have just got to open your mind and just get on with things and not think you are the 'odd one out' and you will find people just take you as you are and not worry about where you are from.

shaun/lor Jun 23rd 2002 1:01 am

well what do you expect your bound to get some funny looks having picnics in winter. i suppose you had your cossys on as well ha ha.
no in all seriousness while shopping in a large supermarket in oz we too noticed a person paying us extra attention, and only when i finaly said hello to him did he explain that they were deciding weather our southern accent could have origenated from bournmouth as that was were there rellys lived.
so all quite inocent really but if i hadnt spoken we may well have goten the wrong end of the stick.
so the one thing not to do is jump to a conlusion that they dont like you over there.
in general i have found ozzys dislike people after they get to know them not before. (does that make sence, well i know what i mean, sorry if you dont)

hanu Jun 23rd 2002 2:15 am

how do Australians look at Indians as Indians look different from caucasians?Are they hated in Australia?

Jaj Jun 23rd 2002 2:20 am

Carol I think you're worrying too much. For every one person who complains about
Australia, there are ten more who love the place.

If you're positive and adaptable, and willing to 'think Australian' when you arrive
you'll be fine.

One final point - don't mistake the 'Pom bashing' for a dislike of Britain. It's
generally good natured. In fact, many Australians admire Britain a lot - many have
lived there for a while, or aspire to (in the case of younger Australians) and they
did vote to keep the Queen in 1999!

What I'm really saying is:
a. don't take the 'pom' comments the wrong way from Australians, laugh along with
them. Especially considering the stereotypes are not that typical.
b. don't be too negative about the UK. Australians are proud of their country, but
also don't like people being negative. A good response is something like, 'the UK
has its good points, but we like Australia better ...'
c. If you're posting from Glasgow, you may well be Scottish - don't expect most
Australians to be good at distinguishing between Scottish, English, Welsh etc.

Any country has its share of generally unpleasant people and you'll find these in
Australia just as much as you will in the UK. But leaving that aside, you should find
Australians a pretty friendly and open lot - provided you don't whinge :)

Jeremy

>On 22 Jun 2002 23:20:04 GMT, summers family <[email protected]> wrote: On a
    >recent thread there were a lot of comments stating that Australians were hostile to
    >, and didn't like immigrants. How big a problem is this? We don't want to move to
    >the other side of the world and be victimised. We are not expecting immigration to
    >be a bed of roses, but hopefully we would be given a fair chance in Australia.
    >
    >As always your comment are appreciated. Thanks Carol.
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Robert Edwards Jun 23rd 2002 2:20 am

As a home grown Aussie I can only agree with Jeremy...we love the Poms but we (well
some of us) like to get a rise from them too, but its all in good nature.

Rob www.australianaustralia.com

"JAJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Robert Edwards Jun 23rd 2002 5:20 am

Not by me I know and Indian couple very well...very nice people they are too "hanu"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Robert Edwards Jun 23rd 2002 5:20 am

Spot on.... "Mandy Bale" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

dugongs Jun 23rd 2002 9:46 am

My experience is 99.9% of aussies are day to day one on one fine but you will still meet the odd one that has had a sense of humour failure and just goes too far in the razzing or just does'nt like poms yanks etc etc and you have to be prepared to deal with them. Razzing can also be quite boring after a while so you have to be patient and good humoured about it and they love it if you give it to them back (if your a scot tell em you hate the english as much as they do and that usually gets a laugh !).

As a group they tend not to like immigrants evidenced by the last election result and the rise of hansonism now embraced by the prime minister although that is not really targeted towards white immigrants. Well hanson is but shes another story.

Someone here hit the nail on the head when they said

"If you're positive and adaptable, and willing to 'think Australian' when you arrive you'll be fine."

Australians seem to me to prefer it that if you come here you think and act like a white Australian - they do not have a huge tolerance for anything different. I personally found that a little strange in so much as you may have moved to the other side of the world but you cannot just be expected to forget all your upbringing and suddenly start saying strewth, g'day and calling a shiela a shiela ! It's not a huge problem and different groups of migrants live in their communities side by side without any problems. Just be prepared to be flexible if it is important to you to want to fit in with the ozzies as they wont go out of their way to accomodate you but they will accept you with few problems remember they are a migrant country.

Also think somebody else was right when they said it is best not to be negative about where you come from. It's easy for a Brit to be self-deprecating but Australians try not to talk about negatives - they prefer to gloss over them and simply focus on good aspects. If you start talking about negatives they may assume there are no positives and end up pitying you !!!

Stefan Birbacher Jun 23rd 2002 2:29 pm

summers family <[email protected]> wrote:

>On a recent thread there were a lot of comments stating that Australians were
    >hostile to , and didn't like immigrants. How big a problem is this? We don't want to
    >move to the other side of the world and be victimised. We are not expecting
    >immigration to be a bed of roses, but hopefully we would be given a fair chance in
    >Australia.

We don't want you whinging pommies here. Go back to your country.

Stefan Birbacher Jun 23rd 2002 2:30 pm

hanu <[email protected]> wrote:

>how do Australians look at Indians as Indians look different from caucasians?Are
    >they hated in Australia?

Look mate, we are a white nation. Perhaps you should look at migrating to Pakistan or
Palestine.

Stefan Birbacher Jun 23rd 2002 2:31 pm

"Robert Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Not by me I know and Indian couple very well...very nice people they are too

Of course, they smell. Our schools have too many Asians and Indians.

Robert Edwards Jun 23rd 2002 6:30 pm

Poor attitude that Stefan "Stefan Birbacher" < [email protected] > wrote in
message news:dsmbhusc3vkmoqjj-
[email protected]
    > "Robert Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote:

Robert Edwards Jun 23rd 2002 6:31 pm

Thankfully your opinion is in a minority. "Stefan Birbacher" <
[email protected] > wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hanu <[email protected]> wrote:

Kapi Jun 23rd 2002 7:20 pm

By nature (or whatever) aussies are not hostile to any one or any race (not even when
they are drunk). *smile*

Cheers,

Kapi

"Robert Edwards" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not by me I know and Indian couple very well...very nice people they are too "hanu"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...