Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussies could lose UK visas...news report

Aussies could lose UK visas...news report

Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of
Default Aussies could lose UK visas...news report

This taken from foxnews, which took it from the Times.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-29277,00.html
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies could lose UK visas...news report

Originally Posted by DianneH68

Well they need to do something to stop the over population...

less people entering will have a knock on effect to the housing market mind.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DianneH68

I lived in the UK on an ancestry visa for three years. We used to discuss whether anyone thought it would come to an end and the concensus from most of the Brits that I spoke to was that it was doubtful because if you are 18+ and have a grandparent that was born in UK, more than likely you are white.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:01 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Got mine years ago, so I'm alright Jack
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by jib
Got mine years ago, so I'm alright Jack
Did you get citizenship as well? If you didn't then I believe you lose the settlement visa if you haven't lived in the UK for more than 2 years. My hub got one and lost his - all because he was too proud to apply for settlement through being married to me. He would have got citizenship a lot faster that way but by the time it came for him to be eligible for citizenship via the ancestry visa we had already gone to Australia.

Princess Leia
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:24 am
jib
BE Enthusiast

jib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nicejib is just really nice

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Did you get citizenship as well? If you didn't then I believe you lose the settlement visa if you haven't lived in the UK for more than 2 years. My hub got one and lost his - all because he was too proud to apply for settlement through being married to me. He would have got citizenship a lot faster that way but by the time it came for him to be eligible for citizenship via the ancestry visa we had already gone to Australia.

Princess Leia

I've got citizenship, I lived in the Uk for nearly ten years
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I lived in the UK on an ancestry visa for three years. We used to discuss whether anyone thought it would come to an end and the concensus from most of the Brits that I spoke to was that it was doubtful because if you are 18+ and have a grandparent that was born in UK, more than likely you are white.
I don't what being white has got to do with anything.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Met with less contention, I guess. Could be a rubbish theory which we will soon find out
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

I think the Aussies are the least of their worries. They have to work , can't rely on handouts from the Government and must behave themselves for 4 years before being able to apply for citizenship. What a shame these rules don't apply to everyone who enters the UK! 60,000 hardworking, taxpaying, law abiding, English speaking migrants in 5 years can't be such a bad thing, surely?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
I think the Aussies are the least of their worries.
Just thinking tho, brit migrants to OZ, have a child in australia its australian, if the ancestry visa is history then any of us having kids here would have quite a bit to worry about, decide to return in 10 years, so your kids would they have to apply to emigrate to the UK?

I know!! nobody is ever going to go back to the UK but 30% (whatever) do so where do your aus born kids stand then
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just thinking tho, brit migrants to OZ, have a child in australia its australian, if the ancestry visa is history then any of us having kids here would have quite a bit to worry about, decide to return in 10 years, so your kids would they have to apply to emigrate to the UK?

I know!! nobody is ever going to go back to the UK but 30% (whatever) do so where do your aus born kids stand then
I'm sure JAJ will correct me if I'm wrong but the child would still be British if you had it in Australia and one of the parents is British. I think you'd need to apply for citizenship by descent and the parents need to be married.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm sure JAJ will correct me if I'm wrong but the child would still be British if you had it in Australia and one of the parents is British. I think you'd need to apply for citizenship by descent and the parents need to be married.
You know why I wondered, on sky news the report was saying that having a UK grandparent or UK PARENT would no longer make a person eligible. Mine were born in the UK but we have not ruled out having any more.

What you say sounds logical tho and would be similar to what I imagined until I heard that news report. Hopefully JAJ can confirm whats correct.

Last edited by jad n rich; Oct 27th 2005 at 7:21 am.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:09 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly

I got banned for saying white and another word which I shall not say or I will be banned again!

Jenny
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
I got banned for saying white and another word which I shall not say or I will be banned again!

Jenny
Orange? Blue maybe?
Old Oct 27th 2005, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve

Jenny
One must be politically correct these days. Just look at what's going on with Piggy Banks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.