Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

Originally Posted by Seneca21
There can be a link between temperature and UV, but temperature is not a direct causal factor as some seem to think.
That is something that more people need to be aware of, especially the new arrivals.

Old Nov 10th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That is something that more people need to be aware of, especially the new arrivals.
Totally agree - which is why daily UV charts year round would educate people including new arrivals. Maybe they're worried about people's reaction to UV 14 and so on?

Lots of things affect UV levels, from temperature to atmosphere to altitude and I would guess that most people don't know any of this - even those living in a high UV country. The most frustrating thing is that it is so much easier to manage than other severe environmental conditions like heavy snow and excessive cold. Just put the levels on the morning weather reports!
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:09 pm
ABCDiamond

Just put the levels on the morning weather reports!
I've emailed ch 7, who has emailed 2, 9 and 10 ?

Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

I've emailed ch 7, who has emailed 2, 9 and 10 ?
I was thinking of the ABC as they are the national broadcaster. Do these people respond to stuff like emails?
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

The aborigines don't seem to need sunblock or sunglasses...
Old Nov 10th 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Neither would if your family had 60,000 years of evolution under the Australian sun.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

I was thinking of the ABC as they are the national broadcaster. Do these people respond to stuff like emails?
You can email ch 2 (ABC) then

Ch 7 is the more popular channel

Australia's most popular TV channel is:
Seven with 21.9% of all viewers, followed by
Nine 17.5%
Ten 17.1%
ABC 13.2%
July 2009

Old Nov 10th 2010, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

You can email ch 2 (ABC) then

Ch 7 is the more popular channel
Last time I tuned into 7 there was someone jumping up and down in a cow costume behind the news desk.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
They die before they get old (on average).
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:04 am
ABCDiamond

Last time I tuned into 7 there was someone jumping up and down in a cow costume behind the news desk.
That be the Cash Cow

The Ch 7 Sunrise crew make it 'interesting' in the morning

Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
They die before they get old (on average).
All that petrol sniffing...
Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

That be the Cash Cow

The Ch 7 Sunrise crew make it 'interesting' in the morning
I'd venture that watching commercial morning TV will kill you faster than UV.

If only spiritually ...
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

mpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud ofmpgrewal has much to be proud of

Neither would if your family had 60,000 years of evolution under the Australian sun.
They probably would because of skin colour. Those who are blessed with dark skin don't need to worry about sun and UV I myself never wore suncream or sunglass, do sunbath regularly in my backyard and on Melbourne beaches, have throughly been under the Caribbean Sun (which is considered most dangerous) while I was in Jamaica, never had any skin problem till date.

Last edited by mpgrewal; Nov 11th 2010 at 1:22 am.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
They probably would because of skin colour. Those who are blessed with dark skin don't need to worry about sun and UV I myself never wore suncream or sunglass, do sunbath regularly in my backyard and on Melbourne beaches, have throughly been under the Caribbean Sun (which is considered most dangerous) while I was in Jamaica, never had any skin problem till date.
Actually skin cancer can be more dangerous in black people because it is harder to detect early on, although of course they do have a lower chance of getting it in the first place - but it can still happen.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

The UV is always reported in the newspaper weather report which is basically the full BOM forecast anyway.

I'm pretty sure it's mentioned briefly on the news weather forecasts as well, or at least shown on the screen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.