Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

Old Nov 11th 2010, 12:24 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

I'm gonna fry in Oz aren't I...red hair, pale skin, burn if I sit too near the lamp in the living room.... I do have a favourite sunblock which can be bought in Oz and I'm bringing some with me in preparation even though we arrive in July. Wearing it EVERY day will be hard to get used to I reckon...

I wear shades most of the year even here in the UK, squinting at even the low winter sun gives me a headache (and wrinkles!!!) so even though I get funny looks I wear them anyway.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 1:36 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussies blinded to summer sun are unaware of eye protection says expert

Originally Posted by mpgrewal
They probably would because of skin colour. Those who are blessed with dark skin don't need to worry about sun and UV I myself never wore suncream or sunglass, do sunbath regularly in my backyard and on Melbourne beaches, have throughly been under the Caribbean Sun (which is considered most dangerous) while I was in Jamaica, never had any skin problem till date.
I seriously wouldnt be too smug about that, my husband is from North Africa and is classed as high risk with his skin.

And you dont have to be in the sun to get skin cancer, my doctor told me today that he has patients that dont go out in the sun and are still pre-disposed to it.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
I'm gonna fry in Oz aren't I...red hair, pale skin, burn if I sit too near the lamp in the living room.... I do have a favourite sunblock which can be bought in Oz and I'm bringing some with me in preparation even though we arrive in July. Wearing it EVERY day will be hard to get used to I reckon...

I wear shades most of the year even here in the UK, squinting at even the low winter sun gives me a headache (and wrinkles!!!) so even though I get funny looks I wear them anyway.
What part of Australia are you going to live in?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I seriously wouldnt be too smug about that, my husband is from North Africa and is classed as high risk with his skin.

And you dont have to be in the sun to get skin cancer, my doctor told me today that he has patients that dont go out in the sun and are still pre-disposed to it.
It might be the case that some people can just "get it" like any disease, but this must be extremely rare. Usually you need exposure to the sun, and of course it is cumulative. You do not need to get tanned to increase your risk. Any tan is skin damage, and when it fades the damage remains although skin does repair the damage if given a chance. You do not need to be in direct sunlight to get damaged, because of diffuse UV radiation in shade, or reflected radiation off of certain surfaces.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RedT

Seriously, don't underestimate the problems that may face you. My son has red hair and pale skin and he's damn near house bound at the height of Summer.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Seriously, don't underestimate the problems that may face you. My son has red hair and pale skin and he's damn near house bound at the height of Summer.
The OP shouldn't believe scaremongering stuff like this. UV can be managed perfectly safely with a little knowledge about the science, an accurate UV forecast and the right clothes/sun block, etc.

No one needs to be "housebound" - as in what you are in a British winter - in an Australian summer. Just do the research and enjoy the good weather.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:02 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
No one needs to be "housebound" - as in what you are in a British winter - in an Australian summer. Just do the research and enjoy the good weather.
Why are you housebound in a British winter?
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
Why are you housebound in a British winter?
Oh come on it's appalling there. Hail, wind, rain, freezing cold and damp and only light between the hours of 0800 - 1530. Unless you're one of those weirdos that likes tramping around in these conditions, most of us just want to be inside and don't even want to look at it, never mind be in it.

Give me a broad-rimmed hat and some Factor 50 over water-proof boots, jeans, waxed-jacked, hat, scarf, gloves, umbrella any day.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Agree, most of our family has fair skin, pale blue or green eyes, white or blonde hair and the intensity of sun in summer is a nightmare.

People shouldnt think dark skin protects them totally either, we have close friends from PNG, they call their skin Brown, afro hair, dark eyes, I have seen them burn, the skin redden, they wear rash shirts, hats etc.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on it's appalling there. Hail, wind, rain, freezing cold and damp and only light between the hours of 0800 - 1530. Unless you're one of those weirdos that likes tramping around in these conditions, most of us just want to be inside and don't even want to look at it, never mind be in it.

Give me a broad-rimmed hat and some Factor 50 over water-proof boots, jeans, waxed-jacked, hat, scarf, gloves, umbrella any day.
Harden up Princess!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Harden up Princess!
Yeah.... maybe. To be honest I like the old Boxing Day walks in the howling gales, etc., but it was trudging to work inthe same weather that did it for me.... when one had to be somewhere, etc. Coming back from a Christmas walk and tucking into some beer and snacks by an open fire is a pleasure I do miss to be fair.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:20 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

but it was trudging to work inthe same weather that did it for me.... when one had to be somewhere, etc.
Swings and roundabouts. I used to hate my 10 minute morning trudge from Roma St station to my office in Brisbane...sun beating down on me, already hot & high morning humidity. Arrive feeling ready for another shower!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
Swings and roundabouts. I used to hate my 10 minute morning trudge from Roma St station to my office in Brisbane...sun beating down on me, already hot & high morning humidity. Arrive feeling ready for another shower!
Yeah that's gross too but not so bad in the dry heat of the south.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:25 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

The OP shouldn't believe scaremongering stuff like this. UV can be managed perfectly safely with a little knowledge about the science, an accurate UV forecast and the right clothes/sun block, etc.

No offence, but unless you happen to personally know my son and the amount of problems he has in the sun, then you have no real idea of what you are talking about.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that's gross too but not so bad in the dry heat of the south.
Nothing worse than being stuck on a sardine packed train in Melbourne on a 40-odd degree day with no air conditioning.

Give me gales, snow, hail etc. anyday...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.