Aussie xmas?

Old Dec 16th 2006, 6:30 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie xmas?

Originally Posted by iPom
We do Christmas twice in the BM's. Once at Christmas and the other at 'Winterfest' in winter. Great fun. Lots of people come up to the mts for it...
Evening. Do you not think that the 'Christmas in July' thing isn't just a little sad?... unless those mountains of yours are covered in snow in July, which somehow I doubt.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 6:30 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Aussie xmas?

Time to give the Lobethal Lights another plug.

Also Bill and Peg's Christmas display, which I have personally visited and enjoyed tremendously. They use around 60,000 lights and take donations for local charities.

Old Dec 16th 2006, 6:33 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Evening. Do you not think that the 'Christmas in July' thing isn't just a little sad?... unless those mountains of yours are covered in snow in July, which somehow I doubt.

Given that you haven't been up to them yet to see the snow, do you think you better had before you call it sad?
It's not Christmas, it's a winter festival. Great food, drink, bands, music, entertainment... Better than sitting in Sydney moaning that it's cold and there's nothing to do, right?

Yes, we get snow where I live.

Last edited by iPom; Dec 16th 2006 at 6:37 am.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:01 am
Account Closed

Given that you haven't been up to them yet to see the snow, do you think you better had before you call it sad?
It's not Christmas, it's a winter festival. Great food, drink, bands, music, entertainment... Better than sitting in Sydney moaning that it's cold and there's nothing to do, right?

Yes, we get snow where I live.
The Christmas in July thing was on all over the place in the Illawarra.. restaurants pushing the whole Christmas dinner with all the trimmings experience.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:02 am
Account Closed

The Christmas in July thing was on all over the place in the Illawarra.. restaurants pushing the whole Christmas dinner with all the trimmings experience.

OMG, we don't do that! That's just inhumane!

Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:08 am
Account Closed

OMG, we don't do that! That's just inhumane!

... and that's the bit I found sad. Party hats and tinsel in July.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:22 am
Account Closed

... and that's the bit I found sad. Party hats and tinsel in July.
Oooh, no, Katoomba's much more fun that that. You'll have to pop up and try!
Old Dec 16th 2006, 7:45 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is what you make it, I agree with what some of the other posters have said

Sure, I like the cold Christmas's too - like the whole shivering in front of the fire with a cuppa before opening pressies and then watching re-runs on the telly, eating too much food and drinking too much booze!

However, Aussie Christmas (our style) is BBQ English Breakfast on the patio with champagne orange, fresh coffee, lucky dip presents, music, laughs etc before opening presents, lazing around in the air cond or on the patio, before having a traditional English style dinner - Turkey, Ham, Roasties, Mash, Sprouts, Peas, Gravy and then Pud and custard for afters with a bottle of wine, beer or whatever drink you fancy!

Then it is lazing around in the loungeroom drinking irish coffee and having a laugh!

Telly usually stays off

Ok...so maybe it doesn't feel too chrismassy because of the heat and because not everyone has gone overboard on their outside decs, but if you hunt around, there are some great streets taking part (there's one in Connolly, Perth and the whole street is done).

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Old Dec 16th 2006, 8:42 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I have spent 4 Christmasses down under (in New Zealand).

I have no problem with Christmas in summer.

It's the winter without any Christmas that always depressed me .

Buzzy

Good point.
I think this will be hard.
Do the Aussies celebrate any kind of winter festival? After all this is how Xmas in the Northern hemisphere started.
Xmas in July doesn't sound right but maybe what's needed is an Aussie Winterval
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kapri
Good point.
Do the Aussies celebrate any kind of winter festival? After all this is how Xmas in the Northern hemisphere started.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=14

Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:36 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kapri
Good point.
If I remember right you are coming to Melbourne so you can enjoy Xmas in July.
Book Xmas dinner in Sassafras or Olinda & you might even get snow if your lucky.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 9:48 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

We do Christmas twice in the BM's. Once at Christmas and the other at 'Winterfest' in winter. Great fun. Lots of people come up to the mts for it...

LMAO nice one was that an invite????

Jen
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It's the winter without any Christmas that always depressed me .
Nice one.

Someone once pointed out that at least the UK xmas breaks up the long winter.
But straya has Christmas in Juy to break up it's shorter winter.

I like Christmas here. Whole village meets up on the green outside the community centre/creche for a carol service hosted by a Baritone with kids running amock, and fire brigade in attendance with Santa arriving on the tanker, and the firies wheeling in all the old dears from the old people's home opposite onto a special veranda. All the firies get paged Happy CMas from the CFA and everyone looks panicked for a few seconds.

Nice and relaxing, nice long summer nights - to past 9pm. Eat,and buy as much as you like. No cold, no disappointing usual lack of snow.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:48 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Nice one.

Someone once pointed out that at least the UK xmas breaks up the long winter.
But straya has Christmas in Juy to break up it's shorter winter.

I like Christmas here. Whole village meets up on the green outside the community centre/creche for a carol service hosted by a Baritone with kids running amock, and fire brigade in attendance with Santa arriving on the tanker, and the firies wheeling in all the old dears from the old people's home opposite onto a special veranda. All the firies get paged Happy CMas from the CFA and everyone looks panicked for a few seconds.

Nice and relaxing, nice long summer nights - to past 9pm. Eat,and buy as much as you like. No cold, no disappointing usual lack of snow.

Good to hear you don't have to far to travel for the old folks home in years to come.
Old Dec 16th 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're joking, which I am sure you are, all you're doing is demonstrating your shear cynicism.
i) Why not?
ii) It's a good idea? (I thought so!)
iii) When was the last time it snowed in the UK on Christmas day, and how frequent is that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.