British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Aussie xmas? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aussie-xmas-413891/)

JenJen Dec 15th 2006 9:39 pm

Aussie xmas?

Ok so for those of you that have had Aussie xmas's what are they like?

I usually associate xmas with cold weather among obviously other things which all going ahead this will be our last one, just wondering what ppl associate with an Aussie Xmas

Jen

cranni Dec 15th 2006 10:37 pm

Re: Aussie xmas?

Originally Posted by JenJen

I usually associate xmas with cold weather among obviously other things which all going ahead this will be our last one, just wondering what ppl associate with an Aussie Xmas

Jen

This is our 3rd christmas in OZ and its just not the same, it does not feel like christmas. I miss the frosty smell.
I started shopping late cause i just cant get into the christmas spirit.
Saying that, I LOVE THE SUNNY DAYS, AND DONT MISS THE COLD.
Denise

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 15th 2006 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by JenJen

Jen

Christmas? Where? I can't see any evidence of it. :confused:

biggy Dec 15th 2006 10:47 pm

Its bloomin fantastic..................no hype....sooooo chilled out.....everybody just relaxes and see what the day brings. No standing for hours preparing a huge chrissy dinner and then sitting watching crap on the telly feeling sorry for yourself cos u have eaten too much.

We went to the beach, cooked prawns on the camping stove had them with salad and a few beers, then a dook in the Ocean....pure quality :D :D

Just read the womans own mag lol and u can see for yersel

cranni Dec 15th 2006 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by biggy
Its bloomin fantastic..................no hype....sooooo chilled out.....everybody just relaxes and see what the day brings. No standing for hours preparing a huge chrissy dinner and then sitting watching crap on the telly feeling sorry for yourself cos u have eaten too much.

We went to the beach, cooked prawns on the camping stove had them with salad and a few beers, then a dook in the Ocean....pure quality :D :D

Just read the womans own mag lol and u can see for yersel

YEP IN A NUTSHELL

Gibbo Dec 16th 2006 3:32 am

It has to be different. It is a different season after all, but having said that Christmas is what you make it. If your miserable, your Christmas will be the same. All my windows along the front of my house have santas, reindeer, Christmas trees, snowmen and lights decorating them. There are lights on the front steps. I have a huge Christmas tree in the loungeroom,lights strung inside, bells that continuously peal out carols. I haven't done the back yet! Maybe I'm a nut but it gets me into a really happy Christmasy mood.:D

sloake Dec 16th 2006 3:40 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Christmas? Where? I can't see any evidence of it. :confused:

Christmas? whens that then.. any time soon??

We tried to have Xmas in july.. went to the Ice Bar on Queens Street, great night.. except they had a mexican marriarchi band??? seemed like the right thing for Brissie..

This Xmas we are once again heading to the "in laws"... something I never had to endure in the UK... :D

Rascal Dec 16th 2006 4:01 am

Just dont put chocolates on your tree. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hoots nan Dec 16th 2006 4:21 am

This is our 3rd christmas down under, first was spent at Redcliffe in the lagoon, last year was at home in the pool with a bbq and heaps of cold drink, this year will be the same again only more magical as my eldest daughter and grandson are here to share it with us :)

Buzzy--Bee Dec 16th 2006 5:20 am

I have spent 4 Christmasses down under (in New Zealand).

I have no problem with Christmas in summer.

It's the winter without any Christmas that always depressed me :( .

:beer:

Buzzy

Mid Lifer. Dec 16th 2006 5:43 am

Will be my 1st Christmas here.We will probably do the beach thing just to say we have done it then come home and cry into the webcam :(
Boxing day will be good tho.Big street party down my street :cool:

Centurion Dec 16th 2006 5:46 am

Always amazes me that people moan that there's no Christmas spirit in Australia. Every other house here in Wellington Point has some lights up outside and a few houses have gone completely overboard in terms of decorations and lights.

In fact the lights that people put up outside houses are far in excess of some of the efforts I've seen in London. Local tour buses run to visit the best ones and there are competitions for them etc.

Christmas carols are played in malls and I've seen a Santa in every single Mall I've been to in the last week, most just roaming around playing with kids and ringing bells wishing a Merry Christmas.

The usual panic about food and everything on Christmas day and I've got my Prawns and turkey ready to collect xmas day morning from the butcher and seafood store. Too hot for veggies and a nice selection of salads and the like and of course heaps of beer in the esky.

So - about the only thing thats missing from it being the usual Christmas is all my family and the cold crap weather. Ill miss my family but make up with friends for Christmas lunch and as to the weather - guess I'll live with the afternoon in my pool.

Christmas is what you make of it I reckon.

Vanessa Dec 16th 2006 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
Always amazes me that people moan that there's no Christmas spirit in Australia. Every other house here in Wellington Point has some lights up outside and a few houses have gone completely overboard in terms of decorations and lights.

In fact the lights that people put up outside houses are far in excess of some of the efforts I've seen in London. Local tour buses run to visit the best ones and there are competitions for them etc.

Christmas carols are played in malls and I've seen a Santa in every single Mall I've been to in the last week, most just roaming around playing with kids and ringing bells wishing a Merry Christmas.

The usual panic about food and everything on Christmas day and I've got my Prawns and turkey ready to collect xmas day morning from the butcher and seafood store. Too hot for veggies and a nice selection of salads and the like and of course heaps of beer in the esky.

So - about the only thing thats missing from it being the usual Christmas is all my family and the cold crap weather. Ill miss my family but make up with friends for Christmas lunch and as to the weather - guess I'll live with the afternoon in my pool.

Christmas is what you make of it I reckon.

Yes Christmas is what you make it but when you have associated Christmas with cold weather, roasted chestnuts, dark evenings, smells of baking mince pies and other associated foods for most of your life it is very difficult to get into the Christmas spirit of a hot climate.

iPom Dec 16th 2006 6:14 am

We do Christmas twice in the BM's. Once at Christmas and the other at 'Winterfest' in winter. Great fun. Lots of people come up to the mts for it... :)

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 16th 2006 6:27 am

Originally Posted by Centurion

Well not in this part of the World there isn't. Very, very few houses with any evidence of Christmas lights...