Reload this Page >

Aussie Utility bills

Aussie Utility bills

Old Sep 8th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kookypie will become famous soon enough
Default Aussie Utility bills

Hi,

My OH and I are hoping to be in Melbourne in the new year, being an organised sort of girl I'm hoping to plan a budget

I know utilities will vary depending on your family and size of your home, but is anyone able to give me some ballpark figures for all the usual utility suspects: gas, electricity, water, 'phone etc

We will be living in a one bed flat so hopefully costs wont be too high.

Thanks for your time
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Aussie Utility bills

just to bump this up....

would be glad if anyone already out in oz could help.....
Old Sep 14th 2008, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

There have been many people ask this type of question before, although most of them appear to be families (but people don't tend to answer the same question over and over).

Hubbie and I are in a 3 bed house, but just have a heater in the living room, and just aircon in the living room and main bed. We don't often use a tumble dryer, have a gas oven and turn lights off when we are not in rooms.

We seem to have by far the lowest bills of anyone we know. We got our bills last week and for 3 months it was $50 for gas, and our electricity for 3 months was $210. We spend about $50 on phones a month and water is included in our rent (which is pretty normal, but not always).
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:11 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Weve only had one cycle of bills so far, and so far so good. were in a large 4 bed, there were 6 of us in the house during this billing period,
For 3months they were -
Gas was $50 - cooker & hot water.
Electric was $160 - and this is the lowest out of all the people we know here - ok im a tight arse and didnt put the heating on much at all, i chase the kids round turning things off lights/tv etc. 2 lots of friends bills were inexcess of $350 for the same time...but they used their heating alot!
Water is mostly covered in the rent but if you go over the set allowance you pay for the excess, ours was $25.

Phone is telstra - $60 roughly pm..unless you leave unattended teenagers in the house and get a bill in excess of $200 pm.

You dont pay rates in rented properties.
We got all our lightbulbs changed into energy efficient ones for free.

Last edited by katsmajic; Sep 15th 2008 at 12:12 am. Reason: add 4 bed house
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:24 am
ABCDiamond

I can give you some figures that you should NOT exceed:

My last 5 quarterly Electric bills, but for a 5 bed house, with 2 computers running 18 hours a day, 2 or 3 TV's at night time, 2 PVR's running 24 hours a day, lights left on almost all the time, pool pump and heating pump running ?hrs a day and air conditioning of course:

$479.95
$464.25
$507.90
$486.60
$544.45

We are all electric, so no gas bills.

If you are renting you may not pay water bills.

Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:30 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We are a couple and live in Perth a 3 bedroom plus study/bedroom 4 house. Water and oven are on gas, the rest is on electricity. The house has fully ducted reverse cylce air-conditioning in all rooms.

We get gas and electricity bills every two months. Last summer electricity was $316 but we had the air-con on all day (not at work). During the autumn and winter the electricity bill was $120. Gas bill is always around $78.

Water bill was $54.

Phone: We've got a phone and internet package with iiNet. The monthly fixed charge for that is $69.90. On top of that are call charges, which vary: lowest has been $25, highest $60. We don't use our mobiles much; it's $20 about every 4 months.

Gina
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

One bedroom flat with 2 occupants in South Yarra, Melbournia

Electricity ave $75 pm (2 oil filled heaters + one split system a/c unit)
Gas ave $35 pm (gas hob and faux fire)
Phone ave $25 pm (use Skype for UK calls)
Internet $50 pm
Cable TV $110 pm

As has been said, when renting, the tenant doesn't pay water rates or council rates directly.

I think that is about it....

Food comes in at about $175 a week
Petrol is about $8 a week
Vehicle Insurance is about $30 a month
Health Insurance is $90 a month
Mobile bill is $79 a month
Rent is $1487 a month

Jeepers - suddenly i feel rather poor...
Old Sep 18th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pommy Dan
One bedroom flat with 2 occupants in South Yarra, Melbournia

Electricity ave $75 pm (2 oil filled heaters + one split system a/c unit)
Gas ave $35 pm (gas hob and faux fire)
Phone ave $25 pm (use Skype for UK calls)
Internet $50 pm
Cable TV $110 pm

As has been said, when renting, the tenant doesn't pay water rates or council rates directly.

I think that is about it....

Food comes in at about $175 a week
Petrol is about $8 a week
Vehicle Insurance is about $30 a month
Health Insurance is $90 a month
Mobile bill is $79 a month
Rent is $1487 a month

Jeepers - suddenly i feel rather poor...
Thanks to everyone for your help! Will be a big help with our budget