Aussie TV ???

Old Jul 26th 2003, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

This topic has been done many times.

The quality of Australian TV is subjective. Personally (apart from SBS) I think it's pretty dire and don't watch anywhere near as much as I did in the UK. However, there is so much to do here that you don't need to watch that much TV anyway.

Basically, ABC is the state owned channel and is very poorly funded. Most of the content is reruns of old British sitcoms and they seem to have picked the worst ones out there. They seem peeved that they have no ads so they spend a lot of time promoting themsleves which gets really tedious,

SBS is excellent. It has ads but they are very subtle and not usually in the middle of programs e.g. a 2 hour film will just have a couple of ads at the beginning and end. The quality of programming is very high and it's very diverse. SBS is probably better than any UK TV channel for quality and diversity of content.

Channel 7,9, and 10 are hardly worth watching. I only watch them for the rugby and cricket. The number of ads is ridiculous and the priogram content is very poor. The ad breaks are about every seven minutes. They even have an ad break between the end of the program and the credits.
Old Jul 27th 2003, 6:35 am
Just Joined

ALMAR is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Aussie TV ???

Originally posted by anthonykirby
Hi All

Are there any 'decent' programmes on Aussie TV.

Everyone seems to dislike it from what I can gather. Perhaps its the lack of entertaining Soaps (or the fact that they run 6 months behind - so its a case of guess what happens next!)

Any suggestions as to what to watch - I like comedy and things that are interesting (without giving me a bad head)

Anth
NO- after 18 yrs in OZ I can tell you it OZ TV is atrocious !! BC occasionally show some good British sit coms. Log on to BlackStar UK for all dvd'S /vids & get hooked on to FOXTEL or AUSTAR for a better programme viewing - otherwise buy some good books. Good Luck.