Aussie Tax

Old Nov 4th 2002, 3:33 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie Tax

Come to the land of plenty and know what the word Tax realy means.

"Three-quarters of that will be paid by individual workers. "

Tax take biggest on record
04nov02

AUSTRALIANS are paying more income tax under the Howard Government than under any previous government.

And Treasurer Peter Costello's Budget promise just six months ago that the total level of tax paid by Australians would not increase has been broken.

When the Howard Government came to power in March 1996, taxpayers paid $82.4 billion, or 16.4 per cent of Australia's economic output – the gross domestic product – in income tax.

A Courier-Mail investigation revealed that proportion soared as high as 17.9 per cent of GDP in 2000 before the GST income-tax cuts.

But only two years later, the value of those tax cuts has been eroded. Taxpayers can now expect to pay 17 per cent of GDP, or $127.3 billion, in income tax this financial year.

Three-quarters of that will be paid by individual workers.

The total amount of tax, including GST, paid to the Federal Government has soared to $187 billion, or 24.9 per cent of GDP.

In addition, the introduction of four new levies is expected to collect as much as $365 million this year.

The amount of tax collected is more than 1 per cent higher than the level when the Howard Government won power and announced that there would be "no increase in the overall tax burden from the 1996-97 levels".

Mr Costello declined to be interviewed about the tax burden.

In a written response he denied Australians were paying more tax and said it was wrong to include GST in the Government's take because it was distributed to states.

A Government plan announced last week to impose a levy of 3¢ a kilogram on sugar intensified scrutiny of the tax system.

Shadow treasurer Bob McMullan said jobs were under pressure from the series of levies introduced after the GST. Mr McMullan said the sugar levy, the Ansett levy, the dairy levy and the stevedoring levy could reap almost $3 billion over the lifetime of the schemes.

"Australians are paying more tax as a percentage of GDP than ever before," he said. "This is the highest taxing Government in our history and this $3 billion in new taxes will make matters worse."

Taxpayers Australia national director Peter McDonald accused the Federal Government of a rip-off which lowered Australians' disposable income and standard of living.

Mr McDonald said 2.8 million taxpayers were worse off because of "bracket creep".

"By not indexing the income thresholds, the Government effectively raises higher taxes without having to raise the rates," he said.

"It is an insidious effect that causes taxpayers to pay higher taxes on their incomes simply because they have been forced into a higher tax bracket."

Taxation Institute of Australia director Michael Dirkus said distributing welfare payments through rebates also made the tax system unworkable and disadvantaged families.

Mr Dirkus said 400,000 taxpayers attempted to claim family tax benefits but 300,000 were disallowed.

"The average cost (of claiming benefits through a tax agent) is $80 and that's a loss of $24 million to taxpayers," he said.

Mr Costello said the new inspector-general of taxation would investigate problems of red tape.
Old Nov 4th 2002, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

dokwal is an unknown quantity at this point

God morning all

new migrant will not get any unemployment allowance but they have to pay tax on their earning , as thier household items need will be vey high , is their any relief for them

if some member of group can put some ligt in this area it will be helpful to all .

rgds
Old Nov 4th 2002, 5:20 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dokwal
God morning all

new migrant will not get any unemployment allowance but they have to pay tax on their earning , as thier household items need will be vey high , is their any relief for them

if some member of group can put some ligt in this area it will be helpful to all .

rgds
Good point but dream on , you are expected to be able to keep your self for 2 years the tax man will not let you off.
Old Nov 12th 2002, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Unhappy Re: Aussie Tax

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Come to the land of plenty and know what the word Tax realy means.

"Three-quarters of that will be paid by individual workers. "

Tax take biggest on record
04nov02

AUSTRALIANS are paying more income tax under the Howard Government than under any previous government.

And Treasurer Peter Costello's Budget promise just six months ago that the total level of tax paid by Australians would not increase has been broken.

When the Howard Government came to power in March 1996, taxpayers paid $82.4 billion, or 16.4 per cent of Australia's economic output – the gross domestic product – in income tax.

A Courier-Mail investigation revealed that proportion soared as high as 17.9 per cent of GDP in 2000 before the GST income-tax cuts.

But only two years later, the value of those tax cuts has been eroded. Taxpayers can now expect to pay 17 per cent of GDP, or $127.3 billion, in income tax this financial year.

Three-quarters of that will be paid by individual workers.

The total amount of tax, including GST, paid to the Federal Government has soared to $187 billion, or 24.9 per cent of GDP.

In addition, the introduction of four new levies is expected to collect as much as $365 million this year.

The amount of tax collected is more than 1 per cent higher than the level when the Howard Government won power and announced that there would be "no increase in the overall tax burden from the 1996-97 levels".

Mr Costello declined to be interviewed about the tax burden.

In a written response he denied Australians were paying more tax and said it was wrong to include GST in the Government's take because it was distributed to states.

A Government plan announced last week to impose a levy of 3¢ a kilogram on sugar intensified scrutiny of the tax system.

Shadow treasurer Bob McMullan said jobs were under pressure from the series of levies introduced after the GST. Mr McMullan said the sugar levy, the Ansett levy, the dairy levy and the stevedoring levy could reap almost $3 billion over the lifetime of the schemes.

"Australians are paying more tax as a percentage of GDP than ever before," he said. "This is the highest taxing Government in our history and this $3 billion in new taxes will make matters worse."

Taxpayers Australia national director Peter McDonald accused the Federal Government of a rip-off which lowered Australians' disposable income and standard of living.

Mr McDonald said 2.8 million taxpayers were worse off because of "bracket creep".

"By not indexing the income thresholds, the Government effectively raises higher taxes without having to raise the rates," he said.

"It is an insidious effect that causes taxpayers to pay higher taxes on their incomes simply because they have been forced into a higher tax bracket."

Taxation Institute of Australia director Michael Dirkus said distributing welfare payments through rebates also made the tax system unworkable and disadvantaged families.

Mr Dirkus said 400,000 taxpayers attempted to claim family tax benefits but 300,000 were disallowed.

"The average cost (of claiming benefits through a tax agent) is $80 and that's a loss of $24 million to taxpayers," he said.

Mr Costello said the new inspector-general of taxation would investigate problems of red tape.

Just had a quick flick through your bit about tax, didn't mean much to me as you didn't say how much each individual pays. I intend to live in Australia if they will let me and if I find that I pay 83% tax for petrol on top of £160 pounds a year for road tax and tax on insurance and VAT at 17.5% on every part I perchase to keep the thing on the road and thats just for a car not to mention all the other taxes I pay just to live and stay healthy, then I guess tax sucks all over the world.
Old Nov 12th 2002, 10:33 pm
Banned

Default Re: Aussie Tax

Originally posted by scrawni
Just had a quick flick through your bit about tax, didn't mean much to me as you didn't say how much each individual pays. I intend to live in Australia if they will let me and if I find that I pay 83% tax for petrol on top of £160 pounds a year for road tax and tax on insurance and VAT at 17.5% on every part I perchase to keep the thing on the road and thats just for a car not to mention all the other taxes I pay just to live and stay healthy, then I guess tax sucks all over the world.
Yes I thought I was being robbed under UK tax system , but you get off easy if you compare it to Australia most things here are taxed twice or more plus Admin charges. You will find less in your pay packet even very easy to pay top rate 47% , plus everything has a charge here health can work out very dear , one tax I cannot get my head round is stamp duty on all new and second cars even when sold private.
Old Nov 13th 2002, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by pommie bastard

Is there Poll tax in Oz too?
Old Nov 13th 2002, 10:24 pm
Banned

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Marlo
Originally posted by pommie bastard

Is there Poll tax in Oz too?
Do not give them any ideas, they are slow on everything but tax where they lead the world.