Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Rules????

Aussie Rules????

Old May 15th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

You're not into snooker then?
Jeez, you got me. I have been throwing around that line about high scores for years - and never thought about snooker.

I love the game.

Mea culpa
Old May 15th 2004, 9:39 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by elbow
Nah, you wanna go with the mighty St Kilda, unbeaten after 8 games. They are the "Arsenal" of AFL. Go Saints!
As much as I despise Arsenal, comparing them to perennial losers like St. Kilda is a bit much.

Arsenal, after all, tend to win league championships. St. Kilda fluked their first and only in 1966 with that Breen wobbly kick.
Old May 15th 2004, 9:39 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by anzen12
Jeez, you got me. I have been throwing around that line about high scores for years - and never thought about snooker.

I love the game.

Mea culpa

But I like AFL. Been watching it for a while and love it's simplicity over something like football (sorry, can't get to call it soccer just yet). No offside rule, passive or active, etc. Loads of thundering tackles and a goal every few minutes. What more could you want?

Last edited by wmoore; May 15th 2004 at 9:46 pm.
Old May 15th 2004, 9:42 pm
PommieLeague

AFL aka Aerial ping pong!!!

What a daft sport that they cut off the sleeves from the jerseys!

Old May 15th 2004, 9:45 pm
o_0

Originally posted by Lathlain
AFL aka Aerial ping pong!!!

What a daft sport that they cut off the sleeves from the jerseys!
It makes the girls go ooohhh. Especially if there's a hero like Matty Lloyd on the ground!
Old May 15th 2004, 9:53 pm
PommieLeague

Originally posted by Ulujain
It makes the girls go ooohhh. Especially if there's a hero like Matty Lloyd on the ground!
Nar heres a real hero in the footy world mate: Joey Johns

Old May 15th 2004, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by wmoore
But I like AFL. Been watching it for a while and love it's simplicity over something like football (sorry, can't get to call it soccer just yet). No offside rule, passive or active, etc. Loads of thundering tackles and a goal every few minutes. What more could you want?
I don't know - just doesn't work for me. I have the same reaction to American football and baseball.

Give me a fast, skillful game of football (the real football) or five days of test cricket (and a very comfortable chair) and I'm a happy man.

Must be a culture thing.
Old May 15th 2004, 9:58 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know - just doesn't work for me. I have the same reaction to American football and baseball.

Give me a fast, skillful game of football (the real football) or five days of test cricket (and a very comfortable chair) and I'm a happy man.

Must be a culture thing.
Test cricket? Give me a couiple of Moggadon
Old May 15th 2004, 10:02 pm
o_0

Must be a culture thing.
I've been in the US six years and still cannot think of American Football as anything other than Men in Tights. Stops and starts far too much to be an enjoyable sport for me.

Baseball is just hit and run cricket anyway.
Old May 15th 2004, 10:08 pm
What's happening dudes?

Originally posted by Ulujain
I've been in the US six years and still cannot think of American Football as anything other than Men in Tights. Stops and starts far too much to be an enjoyable sport for me.

Baseball is just hit and run cricket anyway.
I must admit to watching the Superbowl if I can stay awake that late (last year I woke just as the commentator screamed "and it's all over") but only for the spectacle. The Americans know how to make a spectacle of an event but the game doesn't appeal to me at all.