Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

aussie rate rise yet again

aussie rate rise yet again

Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Default aussie rate rise yet again

Just watched our prime minister Kevin Rudd, say how sorry he is, that rates have gone up yet again,

I do feel so sorry for young people trying to buy their first home in Oz <<<<<
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:13 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aussie rate rise yet again

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Just watched our prime minister Kevin Rudd, say how sorry he is, that rates have gone up yet again,

I do feel so sorry for young people trying to buy their first home in Oz <<<<<
Absolutely, we just managed to secure a fixed rate with about 3 hours to spare before our lender increased their rate too so that's saved us $50 a month.

It must be an absolute nightmare for those buying for the first time or with little or no equity. How on earth are people still managing to spend so much when interest rates are so blinking high?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Trixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really nice

Kevin is good at saying sorry isn't he? Sorry really helps - not.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Trixy
Kevin is good at saying sorry isn't he? Sorry really helps - not.
yes he seems to say sorry an awful lot>>>>>
I think he likes the word
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by herrchook
Absolutely, we just managed to secure a fixed rate with about 3 hours to spare before our lender increased their rate too so that's saved us $50 a month.

It must be an absolute nightmare for those buying for the first time or with little or no equity. How on earth are people still managing to spend so much when interest rates are so blinking high?
Well done you... getting in before the rates went up.

I wonder how most people will feel now coming to live in oz?
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:30 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

If this forum is any indicator then most will whine about everything being 'different' and get on the nerves of perfectly happy people.

First one to suggest what the government should realistically do as an alternative wins a prize.

Bloody gorgeous day out there, but I'm out of ice cream

Hey, the cricket is being shown live all the way through, bonus
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:34 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
If this forum is any indicator then most will whine about everything being 'different' and get on the nerves of perfectly happy people.

First one to suggest what the government should realistically do as an alternative wins a prize.

Bloody gorgeous day out there, but I'm out of ice cream

Hey, the cricket is being shown live all the way through, bonus

Well....I am out of peanut butter. Lovely day here too.

Economically the rates need to rise to bring spending into control. I cannot see anything else that will influence spending and keep some type of check on inflation other than this obvious measure.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Trixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really nice

How about slugging us all with GST? I'm tired of buying plasma TVs every time I go out and being the only one keeping that inflation rate high. I need help in my endeavour to bring down the Australian econmy with my evil spending ways.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Well....I am out of peanut butter. Lovely day here too.

Economically the rates need to rise to bring spending into control. I cannot see anything else that will influence spending and keep some type of check on inflation other than this obvious measure.
Rasing GST would have an effect on inflation. Raising interest rates only affects a third of the population. Raising GST would affect the whole country and would be more effective IMO.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:55 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by busterboy

Correct. Don't forget folks that the official cash rate going up or down is completely and solely under the control of the RBA.

and on that subject, the latest relevant article there.....
http://business.theage.com.au/rba-fl...0304-1wsq.html
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Raising interest rates only affects a third of the population.
And any business that services debt in order to invest in capital expenditure, expansion plans etc. Raising GST has no effect on business.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Great comfort to know the guys at the RBA are in control of the econmy..
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:45 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Rasing GST would have an effect on inflation. Raising interest rates only affects a third of the population. Raising GST would affect the whole country and would be more effective IMO.
Good idea! Big Kev might have a job for you!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:12 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, though it could just as easily be income or any other tax. The advantage of doing it through tax rather than interest rates is the government gets to bank the extra and stick it in the Future Fund but that is an out of date policy it seems. My personal preference would be to raise the Super contributions from 9% to 10% given all the warnings of so many people facing being poor in retirement.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 6:28 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by worzel
Agreed, though it could just as easily be income or any other tax. The advantage of doing it through tax rather than interest rates is the government gets to bank the extra and stick it in the Future Fund but that is an out of date policy it seems. My personal preference would be to raise the Super contributions from 9% to 10% given all the warnings of so many people facing being poor in retirement.
Again a very good idea and one where it would reduce our spending today for a stronger future tomorrow.

We have a bit of talent on this forum and no mistake...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.