Reload this Page >

Aussie PR <-> NZ?

Aussie PR <-> NZ?

Old Jul 7th 2002, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie PR <-> NZ?

I have two questions:

Can a Aussie PR holder work in NZ without applying for any permit?

Does leaving Australia for this count in the 2 year stretch (out of 5 years) or are you considered "in country"?

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jul 7th 2002, 4:20 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Aussie PR <-> NZ?

Chana,

Yes, Aussie PR holders also qualify to live and work in NZ, see www.immigration.nz.govt (Migrate):

<However, certain people do not need to apply for residence to live in New Zealand. They include:

New Zealand citizens, who must show valid New Zealand passports on entering New Zealand; and
Australian citizens, who must show valid Australian passports on entering New Zealand; and
Australian permanent residents, who must show valid Australian resident return visas on entering New Zealand.
Australian citizens and Australian permanent residents must be of good character.>

What 2 year stretch out of 5 are you referring to?

All the best
Old Jul 7th 2002, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

chana is an unknown quantity at this point

When I go into Aust the first time, can I go out (of Australia) after a week or so, and then return in a few months?

I thought that you have to stay 2 years continuously for DIMA to consider you a permanent visa, since what we are getting a preliminary visa? Or am I mistaken here.

Tks for any help you may give.
Old Jul 7th 2002, 5:26 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> When I go into Aust the first time, can I go out (of Australia)
> after a week or so, and then return in a few months?

Yes, you may.

> I thought that you have to stay 2 years continuously for DIMA
> to consider you a permanent visa, since what we are getting a
> preliminary visa? Or am I mistaken here.

It doesn't have to be continuous. You need to be present in Australia for 2 years out of the past 5 years to qualify for an RRV.

There is no "permanent visa" to obtain after being a PR, unless you are on a spouse visa, which is "temporary" for 2 years before being "permanent".

Australia does not count time spent in NZ or any other country when considering applications for RRV or Aussie citizenship.

Peter