Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie offspring seeks Pavement lined with gold

Aussie offspring seeks Pavement lined with gold

Old Jul 29th 2005, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie offspring seeks Pavement lined with gold

Bit of a personal thread this one, I've had to think quite hard before posting it.

My 2nd Daughter, born here in Melbourne back in 85, is going to England, carte blanche, british passport in one hand/aussie passport in t'other, to find her way in the world. She'll be going on a one way ticket, basically for two reasons.

Firstly, being heavily white collar orientated, office admin, in the fashion industry, she fancies her career prospects far more in the UK, than here in Aussie. I don't think she his wrong in that opinion.

Secondly even if she doesn't run with the ball career wise, University courses in the UK in business studies, mean that she would probably have brighter prospects on the tertiary front.

My wife and I have looked at the many facets of this decision with her, especially combined with the fact that she has far better extended family support in the UK (even though most of the family havn't seen her since she was about two year old) than here, in Aus.

We are very excited for her, going to miss her, are going to have even closer ties with the UK than ever, Hopefully it means, that we will be going to the UK far more often now. She has no plans to return in the forseeable future. Basically it's the end result of her education and choices here, that have resulted in this decision.

I wonder has any other poster on here, had this experience with any of their children. Also It's a pointer for anyone deciding to migrate this way with children.

Commerce is far more lucrative in Europe. I've got to let my little girl fly.

September she takes off, My 5'11'' beautiful all australian girl, is going to take on London.

Bloody hell !!!

:scared:
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aussie offspring seeks Pavement lined with gold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Secondly even if she doesn't run with the ball career wise, University courses in the UK in business studies, mean that she would probably have brighter prospects on the tertiary front.

She will have to pay full fees to attend a UK uni.
Approx 8000 quid/year.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:33 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to let my little girl fly.

September she takes off, My 5'11'' beautiful all australian girl, is going to take on London.
I never had the chance to travel in my youth and only now am making up for it. I'm sure its the right thing to do and whats the worst that can happen ? - she'll come back home to you

I dont know how I would feel in the same circumstances but it sounds as if you've thought it through as a family very well and I'm sure that the experience of working and living in the UK will be something to look back on for her in years to come.

Good luck to her ! (and to the parents missing her )
Old Jul 29th 2005, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quokka
She will have to pay full fees to attend a UK uni.
Approx 8000 quid/year.
Only payable once you maintain a certain income isn't it ??? I think it's more complex in my daughters case, as she wasn't educated in the UK, she may have to enrole as a foreign student, even with her british passport. (apparently it's leeds university, which has the best courses for her, according to my family network)

Still trying to cross the t's and dot the i's on that one.

Personally I think she will fly on the career front without tertiary qualifications, but there again I'm biased and a tad proud

Pissed orf about not having a baby sitter, for her younger siblings lol !!
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Only payable once you maintain a certain income isn't it ??? I think it's more complex in my daughters case, as she wasn't educated in the UK, she may have to enrole as a foreign student, even with her british passport. (apparently it's leeds university, which has the best courses for her, according to my family network)

Still trying to cross the t's and dot the i's on that one.

Personally I think she will fly on the career front without tertiary qualifications, but there again I'm biased and a tad proud

Pissed orf about not having a baby sitter, for her younger siblings lol !!
Overseas fees will apply for University Courses or Three year residency in the UK - cause they have some clause about not returning for sole education reasons. But you would have to check out the government websites.

Reason I have looked into this is because we have only been here 3.5 years and my 13 and 15 yr old talk about spending time back in Europe, both for school and work opportunities. At this point in time I find it encouraging that they feel they have opportunities in the world (which is part reason we came).

Reading your post....it makes it real.....I find a small house in Spain coming on! Oh just like me mum (who thought we ran away to Aus).

I hope it is all wonderful for your family - onwards upwards and better
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sandra
Overseas fees will apply for University Courses or Three year residency in the UK - cause they have some clause about not returning for sole education reasons. But you would have to check out the government websites.

Reason I have looked into this is because we have only been here 3.5 years and my 13 and 15 yr old talk about spending time back in Europe, both for school and work opportunities. At this point in time I find it encouraging that they feel they have opportunities in the world (which is part reason we came).

Reading your post....it makes it real.....I find a small house in Spain coming on! Oh just like me mum (who thought we ran away to Aus).

I hope it is all wonderful for your family - onwards upwards and better

Interesting post sandra, I saw Spain as the golden chaliss, however I've just spent some time there, (only a week i've got to admit, on my 1st european visit in 17 years, it was ok, but for some reason the Gold coast in comparison seems a better option now lol) Ideally, and this is a booze propelled post lol, I reckon I would be happier on a comfortable canal barge in the UK for 4 months, and 8 months in Aussie, If I were in retirement mode today. however I bet my ideas change over the next few years.

Re the family, viva le change
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:41 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting post sandra, I saw Spain as the golden chaliss, however I've just spent some time there, (only a week i've got to admit, on my 1st european visit in 17 years, it was ok, but for some reason the Gold coast in comparison seems a better option now lol) Ideally, and this is a booze propelled post lol, I reckon I would be happier on a comfortable canal barge in the UK for 4 months, and 8 months in Aussie, If I were in retirement mode today. however I bet my ideas change over the next few years.

Re the family, viva le change
My husband saw Spain as his goal, then we spent a few weeks on holiday here in 98 for a laugh. Silly bugger gave up the spanish lessons and got us PR here on his skills.

Mum lives in a little spanish hill town, two bedroom terrace, it is stunning, a walk down to the platha and a coffee with the mad locals, one the policeman who keeps kissing your hand and jabbering (mum translates as welcome mother of her grandchildren! I think it might also mean I am a mad policeman).

But as I could not see us affording retirement at 38 in Menorca, we conned ourselves into thinking we could afford Sudney

Dead serious though, I believe we will be waving au reviour to our kids at around 18 when they take full advantage of the EU passport. Hence my thoughts about having the place in spain for the future. Cheaper for the bloody gits to visit us 6 months of the year if they base themselves back in Europe.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sandra
My husband saw Spain as his goal, then we spent a few weeks on holiday here in 98 for a laugh. Silly bugger gave up the spanish lessons and got us PR here on his skills.

Mum lives in a little spanish hill town, two bedroom terrace, it is stunning, a walk down to the platha and a coffee with the mad locals, one the policeman who keeps kissing your hand and jabbering (mum translates as welcome mother of her grandchildren! I think it might also mean I am a mad policeman).

But as I could not see us affording retirement at 38 in Menorca, we conned ourselves into thinking we could afford Sudney

Dead serious though, I believe we will be waving au reviour to our kids at around 18 when they take full advantage of the EU passport. Hence my thoughts about having the place in spain for the future. Cheaper for the bloody gits to visit us 6 months of the year if they base themselves back in Europe.

Well re the kids departing, for the more lucrative EEC, I'm sure that will be a trend, for all of us expats. Re Spain, I do love warm weather now, The way you describe your 'oasis' sounds far more inviting than the 'urbanization' that was the introduction to my cousins 'nest egg' at Torreveija on the costa blanca, not that it was bad, just the gold coast is more inviting. I really would like a future haven in europe.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

MistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the roughMistySunshine is a jewel in the rough

Bit of a personal thread this one, I've had to think quite hard before posting it.

My 2nd Daughter, born here in Melbourne back in 85, is going to England, carte blanche, british passport in one hand/aussie passport in t'other, to find her way in the world. She'll be going on a one way ticket, basically for two reasons.

Firstly, being heavily white collar orientated, office admin, in the fashion industry, she fancies her career prospects far more in the UK, than here in Aussie. I don't think she his wrong in that opinion.

My wife and I have looked at the many facets of this decision with her, especially combined with the fact that she has far better extended family support in the UK (even though most of the family havn't seen her since she was about two year old) than here, in Aus.

We are very excited for her, going to miss her, are going to have even closer ties with the UK than ever, Hopefully it means, that we will be going to the UK far more often now. She has no plans to return in the forseeable future. Basically it's the end result of her education and choices here, that have resulted in this decision.

I wonder has any other poster on here, had this experience with any of their children. Also It's a pointer for anyone deciding to migrate this way with children.

Bloody hell !!!

Wow,
What a Dad. The thought of letting them go and flying solo frightens the hell out of me. To be in your position at the very least your daughter has one heck of a family who support her but are willing to encourage her to seek her goals. Regardless of career and country, support like this is great. Please wish your daughter whatever goal she desires and the very best wishes for her education and travel.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 4:45 pm
Gone Senile Member

Well re the kids departing, for the more lucrative EEC, I'm sure that will be a trend, for all of us expats. Re Spain, I do love warm weather now, The way you describe your 'oasis' sounds far more inviting than the 'urbanization' that was the introduction to my cousins 'nest egg' at Torreveija on the costa blanca, not that it was bad, just the gold coast is more inviting. I really would like a future haven in europe.

Hey I am PMSL! my mums place is on the costa (wanka) blanca, not that far from torreveija, but she got herself a place in the hills (not on the coast, not in a brits place, not a trendy villa). In mums village, they do tend to all speak spanish, be very catholic in religion and outloook, I feel at home the minute I arrive to the moment I leave - just as long as I avoid every urbinisation on the way in and out

As far as the future goes, I have said I will get mum here in Aus on the Parents contributory pension/pay Aus gov money visa and will pay, but only if she leaves me the two up two down in spain....actually once the kids finish school, I am thinking of asking her for a swop.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody hell !!!

Just wanted to say what an amazing post and what a lucky girl to have such a supportive Dad/family, it will give her such confidence knowing that you are behind her.

Feeling a bit emotional at the moment as I am 27 and broke the news to my parents who were the exact oppisite to you, so mucho respect coming our way.
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ginaf
Just wanted to say what an amazing post and what a lucky girl to have such a supportive Dad/family, it will give her such confidence knowing that you are behind her.

Feeling a bit emotional at the moment as I am 27 and broke the news to my parents who were the exact oppisite to you, so mucho respect coming our way.

Meant to say your way not our way, drowning my sorrows at the moment
Old Jul 29th 2005, 6:32 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey ozzieeagle, can't say how much i admire you for having the courage to send her off with your complete approval.

we have three daughters and were going to return to oz next year, but in all honesty with my 10 yr old absolutley loving her life here we did think about the possability of her or one of the others returning, it does seem to happen a lot with the kids.

to then be in a situation where you love it in oz and the other kids but one is leaving for the uk must be so hard. those ties to the uk must seem to be getting stronger and stronger what with your trip.

the short of it is though, she will be fine and although proud now i am sure she will make you more so with her world of knowledge gained through this trip.
Louise
Old Jul 29th 2005, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by louise4
Hey ozzieeagle, can't say how much i admire you for having the courage to send her off with your complete approval.

we have three daughters and were going to return to oz next year, but in all honesty with my 10 yr old absolutley loving her life here we did think about the possability of her or one of the others returning, it does seem to happen a lot with the kids.

to then be in a situation where you love it in oz and the other kids but one is leaving for the uk must be so hard. those ties to the uk must seem to be getting stronger and stronger what with your trip.

the short of it is though, she will be fine and although proud now i am sure she will make you more so with her world of knowledge gained through this trip.
Louise
What I'm aiming to do now, Especially after my last visit to England, confirmed that the place had improved since I left in the 80's. Is spend the last 15 years or so of my working life trying to get myself into a position where I can choose to spend time, in either Aussie or Europe, depending on my mood at the time.

In that respect my daughter going to the UK, where her career prospects I'm sure are better, is an even greater incentive to acheive this goal.

What with Camera mobiles, the net, and lots of extended family visits, the UK is seemingly closer and closer.

One thing I noticed on my trip, was the number of Brits, that spend each year in Aussie, for 2 or more months, Seems far more do it from britain to here than from Aussie to Britain.