Aussie movies.

Old May 8th 2003, 5:43 pm
Keelie

Default Aussie movies.

Having read Bill Bryson's best-seller on his travels through Australia... as well as other authors, I've started seeking out Aussie movies.

Last week-end we watched a recent film (on DVD) called 'RABBIT-PROOF FENCE' ..the true story of three Abo girls who were take from their mother to be 'educated' in a white settlement.
I'd recommend this movie to anyone who's interested in knowing more about the native people of Aust.
We're very impressed with the calibre of film coming out of Australia...the realism in some of these movies is at times, painful, the acting marvellous.
So good on you Nicole Kidman and Russel Crowe (N.Z) Anyone seen an Aussie movie that they'd recommend?
Keelie.

Old May 8th 2003, 5:54 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen this movie yet...but to also 'understand' different aspects of historical australia and their policies I recommend reading about the child migration policies that happened around the same time as the 'aboriginal solution' this movie is based on.

On a lighter note...look out for an Aussie film called 'Wog Boy' - no I am not being a bit off that is the name of the film, and one called the 'The Castle'.....'Priscilla Queen of the Desert' of course remains my favourite

Cheers
Old May 8th 2003, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

HI all

I recenly bought a second hand copy of the "castle" from my local library it is a feel good film that I recomend.

Another favourite of mine is rompa stompa which I would recomend to any fan of Russel Crowe. It shows him in an action film which could have been a rehersal for Gladiator
Old May 9th 2003, 2:02 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie movies.

Originally posted by Keelie
Having read Bill Bryson's best-seller on his travels through Australia... as well as other authors, I've started seeking out Aussie movies.

Last week-end we watched a recent film (on DVD) called 'RABBIT-PROOF FENCE' ..the true story of three Abo girls who were take from their mother to be 'educated' in a white settlement.
I'd recommend this movie to anyone who's interested in knowing more about the native people of Aust.
We're very impressed with the calibre of film coming out of Australia...the realism in some of these movies is at times, painful, the acting marvellous.
So good on you Nicole Kidman and Russel Crowe (N.Z) Anyone seen an Aussie movie that they'd recommend?
Keelie.
You want real try the life story flim of Chopper Reid , the Film is caled Chopper , nice story about a true Aussie.

http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/c/chopper.html

Old May 9th 2003, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Slippers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You want real try the life story flim of Chopper Reid , the Film is caled Chopper , nice story about a true Aussie.

http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/c/chopper.html

"Sleepless in Sydney" - one boy racer's story against the odds.

"An American in Brisbane" - Gene Kelly; hard to obtain now. Leslie Caron's scene at the Big Banana will soften the heart of any cynic.

"Gangs of New South Wales" - not for the faint-hearted

"Tarzan in Perth" - docco

There are also "The Club"(1975), and "The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith"(1978) if your local flea-pit doesn't have the above.

Slippers
Old May 9th 2003, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

danjon16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default aussie movies

as pb says 'chopper' is a great documentary about chopper read, australias badest, he has written about 10 books now about his stories of crime and stuff in oz, not for kids though

a great film with heath ledger is called 'two hands' a sort of aussie lock stock two smoking barrels

'the dish' is another aussie film worth a watch

good book to read is 'australia, a biography of a nation' by phillip knightley someone on here reccommended it to me and i thought it was a fantastic insight into the history of the politics of australia and the way the nation has been formed
Old May 9th 2003, 10:19 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

"Crocodile Hunter - The Movie". Saw it at the movies a while ago, it's now out to rent on Video/DVD. Beautiful scenery and a good moral too.

Steve.
Old May 9th 2003, 10:29 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

RPF - very good, especially as I watched on the plane just before landing for the first time in Australia.

At the moment waiting for Matrix Reloaded to be released - I know it does not give you info on Oz but it is bound to be a good film and I might recognise a few places
Old May 9th 2003, 10:41 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Strictly Ballroom (Ozzie Dirty Dancing) and Murial's wedding - two for the ladies!

Mel
Old May 9th 2003, 11:45 am
Badge

Originally posted by mika24me
Strictly Ballroom (Ozzie Dirty Dancing) and Murial's wedding - two for the ladies!

Mel
when i was a kid remember a movie called "Sunday? too far away"...about a bunch of sheep shearers..

nothing but a distant memory

..i can empathise with Sunday being too far away..sometimes...

also

The Odd Angry Shot - Aussie SAS?? shenanigans

Old May 9th 2003, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

GingerScot is an unknown quantity at this point

Romper Stomper is interesting to see Russell Crowe when he was young (and not so fat).
Death in Brunswick is worth checking out, sort of black comedy with Sam Neill.
Oh and of course Walkabout - but thats going back a bit.
Old May 9th 2003, 4:11 pm
Badge

Originally posted by GingerScot
Romper Stomper is interesting to see Russell Crowe when he was young (and not so fat).
Death in Brunswick is worth checking out, sort of black comedy with Sam Neill.
Oh and of course Walkabout - but thats going back a bit.
ah ...of course - how could i forget about Jenny Agutter..........

badgers

Old May 9th 2003, 4:43 pm
Keelie

'CRY IN THE DARK' The true story of a child who was seized by a Dingo from a campground in Australia.
Meryl Streep plays the part of the mother, and in my opinion this is her most underrated part...she was marvellous...the Aussie accent, the manerisms, you'd swear she was dinkum Aussie.
This movie is still available in video, and gives a realistic look at the Australia of the 70's.
Keelie.

Old May 12th 2003, 3:19 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aussie movies

Originally posted by danjon16
as pb says 'chopper' is a great documentary about chopper read, australias badest, he has written about 10 books now about his stories of crime and stuff in oz, not for kids though

a great film with heath ledger is called 'two hands' a sort of aussie lock stock two smoking barrels

'the dish' is another aussie film worth a watch

good book to read is 'australia, a biography of a nation' by phillip knightley someone on here reccommended it to me and i thought it was a fantastic insight into the history of the politics of australia and the way the nation has been formed
Having seen the bikies at work in WA he was a pussy cat , but the flim does show life in the gutter here.

Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:37 pm
qet
Just Joined

qet is an unknown quantity at this point

I missed this thread when it was about.

My faves include:

Galipoli
Breaker Morant
Bad Boy Bubby (be warned, not for everyone)
Picnic at hanging rock
Last Wave
Chopper
Two Hands
The Boys (based on disturbing true story)
Mad Max 1 & 2 (valid then and now)

Walkabout was a British film made in Australia.

Does anyone the title of an Australian film which was supposed to be a bit like Taxi Driver, ie. being alone in a big city.
I think it came out in the late nineties but i didn't see it and have forgotten its title.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.