Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Citizenship....

Aussie Citizenship....

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:31 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Aussie Citizenship....

just wondering if any of the aussie residents have got their citizenship recently (or hopes to do so soon). Wondering how long you had to wait to have it approved and then how long after that before you had the ceremony? Did you fill in the forms or apply online? lots of questions.....but these will do to start with.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Citizenship....

Originally Posted by banjo
just wondering if any of the aussie residents have got their citizenship recently (or hopes to do so soon). Wondering how long you had to wait to have it approved and then how long after that before you had the ceremony? Did you fill in the forms or apply online? lots of questions.....but these will do to start with.
'Online' is the *slowest* way to apply. Quickest way is to apply in person, you can make an appointment by calling 131880 or just turn up when the office is open (early morning is best).

Make sure you know the responsibilities and priviliges of Australian citizenship and have all documents needed. Form 1027i is your guide.

Processing time for complete applications which meet the requirements is usually within a few weeks, and then you have a 1-3 month wait for a ceremony.

Jeremy
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:56 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for all the info. I did have a look on the website but didn't see but they just said you could lodge online or send the application to one of the offices. I will give them a call though. That's very surprising about 'online' being the slowest....that's the route I was thinking of taking.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for all the info. I did have a look on the website but didn't see but they just said you could lodge online or send the application to one of the offices. I will give them a call though. That's very surprising about 'online' being the slowest....that's the route I was thinking of taking.
I was going to do it online myself, but opted for the "faster" fill in the form and send it off.

I should have done it online !!! I always put off doing paperwork

Was it 6 or 9 months ago that I began this process ?

Old Jul 13th 2005, 11:57 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Less than 2 weeks to our citizenship ceremony - almost 5 months after I submitted my application - just a little "heads up" to the "stay 2 years, get our citizenship and we're out of here" brigade
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Around 4 months from submitting my application online to going to the citizenship ceremony. I can't remember exact time frames for each step, except that the date on my certificate is in the month of April 04 the something ( can't remember exact day of month , I haven't got my cert in front of me - but I recall it was in the month of April) , so that's the month when I received my citizenship.

From memory, I applied online just before Christmas 2003. Then they rang I think maybe a week after to ask some questions ( just to confirm date of birth etc, address etc - security checks ). Received a letter a few days later ( maybe a week) giving me a date for an interview at an approved PO of my initial choice, which was in January I think.

After the interview at a PO it was then maybe just under a two month wait for an acceptance letter. I seem to remember I had the acceptance letter waiting for me when I came back from the UK ( which was in Feb, or very beginning of March I returned - shouldn't leave the country without informing them, but I did - death in the family in Feb that's how I remember the month that I left - can't remember the exact date I returned , could have been at the very end of feb or first week in March) - so from interview to acceptance letter which was waiting for me was about a month and a half.

In that letter they give you a date for the ceremony
One of the longest waits was for me was for the ceremony which was in April ( which would have made it under two months from the acceptance letter to the ceremony) . It depends on your councils when they hold these ceremonies, so it could be any time like a month to a few months like has been mentioned

So from start- applying online ( mid December, just before christmas) to going to the ceremony and receiving the citizenship in April was all up around 4 months for me.

Not really a long time 4 months , but maybe 4 months is for some; if you're in a rush and need your citizenship in a hurry for any reason don't apply online, it does take a few months from start to finish . Exact times for this ( applying online) are going to vary with everyone, depends on ceremony dates, workload the gov have processing the applications, interview dates etc .

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jul 14th 2005 at 1:27 am.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 6:04 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

seems like a real mixed bag of response times. I've had a look at the forms and they seem reallt straight forward....almost 'too' straight forward. Are they really that simple to fill out or is it a ruse and they ambush you in the interview? And just to make sure I am understanding this correctly....if we haven't left Australia since arriving as PR's then we don't have to supply new police checks?

And finally.... are you all in small towns or cities - Just so I can get an idea.....we're in a small town.

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

seems like a real mixed bag of response times. I've had a look at the forms and they seem reallt straight forward....almost 'too' straight forward. Are they really that simple to fill out or is it a ruse and they ambush you in the interview? And just to make sure I am understanding this correctly....if we haven't left Australia since arriving as PR's then we don't have to supply new police checks?

And finally.... are you all in small towns or cities - Just so I can get an idea.....we're in a small town.

Thanks
It's really simple provided you know the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship.

If you're in a small town, how far is the nearest DIMIA office? You may in that case prefer to use the online or postal option if it's a long way away. They'll arrange an interview at a designated Australia Post outlet.

No need for new police checks provided you've not lived overseas for 12+ months since being granted PR.

Jeremy
Old Jul 14th 2005, 11:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JAJ
No need for new police checks provided you've not lived overseas for 12+ months since being granted PR.

Jeremy
Just what I didn't need to hear :scared:

Advice to everyone, do NOT put off getting citizenship !!