Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Citizen visting U.K. - Visa

Aussie Citizen visting U.K. - Visa

Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Aussie Citizen visting U.K. - Visa

Hi
I have checked the U.K. websites, but I am not sure if an Australian passport holder needs a visa for a short visit to the U.K. - does any one have any idea? As someone I know is in Europe and wants to go to the U.K. for a few days.

Thanks.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:05 am
Just Joined

MonandMike will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aussie Citizen visting U.K. - Visa

I've done it a few times and no, you just rock up and can get a 90 day tourist visa. Haven't done it for awhile though. You may need to produce a return ticket or bank statement to show funds to get you through your visit.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
Hi
I have checked the U.K. websites, but I am not sure if an Australian passport holder needs a visa for a short visit to the U.K. - does any one have any idea? As someone I know is in Europe and wants to go to the U.K. for a few days.

Thanks.
As MonandMike said, no need for a visa if its just a quick visit as a tourist. The only thing The Bloke got asked on his trips was how long he intended to stay and did he have a ticket to leave the UK.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 8:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yup as long as they have a return ticket to wherever and enough money to supoort themselves, they'll be fine. How you doing hon? We seem to have lost touch a bit but that's what happens when life gets in the way. Hope Uni is going well
Old Oct 31st 2008, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yup as long as they have a return ticket to wherever and enough money to supoort themselves, they'll be fine. How you doing hon? We seem to have lost touch a bit but that's what happens when life gets in the way. Hope Uni is going well
Thanks everyone.

Fine thanks Pen. Will give you a call and maybe catch up for a coffee after 20 November.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
Thanks everyone.

Fine thanks Pen. Will give you a call and maybe catch up for a coffee after 20 November.
Cool. Most days not Fridays. Other days after 11 is generally safe.
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:29 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Just be prepared to be treated like a criminal as you go through. Seriously, they make Australian immigration people look like angels!! Most Europeans have no idea what it's like, because if you're European you just drift through and flash an ID card.

I personally know a number of people who have turned up with lots of money and onward tickets and everything, and been sent straight back home.

I know a fourteen year old girl who flew over on an Australian passport to visit her father, and she was taken away to a room and interrogated for an hour or so - without supervision.

On my last trip over on an Australian passport I was with my brother. We had onward tickets for less than a week later (to France), hundreds of pounds AND euros in cash, a full printed itinerary for our entire trip - right down to our domestic flights when returning to Australia, and even theatre tickets for other countries in the weeks to come. We were stopped at immigration for about half an hour, in which time my brother had the contents of his wallet counted and I had every single one of my passport stamps and visas inspected and queried. We had to tell them every single thing we planned to do and on which day during our time in London, and I was even asked about my career aspirations!!

British immigration despises people from outside of the European Union.

If you have a European passport, I would recommend travelling on that.

Of course some people get lucky, but I have been travelling for years and years, and each visit to Britain has been more unpleasant than the one before it.

Last edited by SNH; Oct 31st 2008 at 11:32 am.