Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie christian names

Wikiposts

Aussie christian names

Old May 14th 2005, 2:52 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Aussie christian names

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
There's a shed load of Troys and Lachlans here ,

with Kylie (aboriginal for boomerang) still being the favourite female choice - there's 3 Kylies on the management noticeboard of the local supermarket!!!
I worked with a girl called Kylie in Sydney, who told me that she was named after her grandmother. I was suprised - I guess I'd thought of it as being a 'modern' name, so it was amusing to see her pic. of smiling, white-haired 'Granny-Kylie', taken on her 75th birthday.

Anya.
Old May 14th 2005, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

And Lachlan is not a new, trendy name either. It's a solid, old, Scottish name that Australians have been using for centuries - blame Lachlan Macquarie who arrived here in 1810!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think there seems to be more of a culture here of giving first names for the childs past - like Lachlan, which is not often used in the UK, and a lot of the names like Blake and Lawson are explained as being old family names.
I often wonder what its like having a "traditional" name but with odd spelling - like Trayzee or Meeshell. One of my niece's is Alicia, and my sister said every birthday card she gets from friends spells it differently, and every one is wrong, because there are now so many different spellings (like Aleecia" and Aleshya" that noone remembers the "usual" spelling.
Old May 14th 2005, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think there seems to be more of a culture here of giving first names for the childs past - like Lachlan, which is not often used in the UK, and a lot of the names like Blake and Lawson are explained as being old family names.
I often wonder what its like having a "traditional" name but with odd spelling - like Trayzee or Meeshell. One of my niece's is Alicia, and my sister said every birthday card she gets from friends spells it differently, and every one is wrong, because there are now so many different spellings (like Aleecia" and Aleshya" that noone remembers the "usual" spelling.
Yup, I call myself Nicky - which to me is the normal, basic, no-frills way of spelling it.

Yet I get people writing to me as:
Nicki
Nickie
Nickey
Nicci
Niccie
Nikky
and the loathesome Nikki

Even after they've seen how I spell it!
Old May 14th 2005, 5:38 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyc
Yup, I call myself Nicky - which to me is the normal, basic, no-frills way of spelling it.

Yet I get people writing to me as:
Nicki
Nickie
Nickey
Nicci
Niccie
Nikky
and the loathesome Nikki

Even after they've seen how I spell it!
Kyla must be really common over here, I have been called many things in my life but as yet I have not come accross an Aussie who can understand Kala the 1st time, they all say ahh Kyla and I spend the next 10 mins trying to explain Kala Pronounced a bit like Carla but dont pronounce the R or my dad will get all hupety.

The only people who seem to ba able to pronounce my name properly are the Scots and the Irish, I dont even know if I pronounce it right. My dad always tells people that it is like Gala.

The Hubby is called Anthony and the TH is pronounced with the TH sound rather than just the T sound it took me ages to get that right.

Kala
Old May 14th 2005, 5:38 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

The RSL kicked up a fuss last year as some parents decided to name their child Anzac
Old May 14th 2005, 5:49 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

At least we haven't started calling kids " Heavenly Hirane Tiger-Lily" (imagine having to write the signature for that) or "River" yet,I hope.
Old May 14th 2005, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

The best kids name I ever heard was my ex (a cop) visiting a chave like member of the public. The woman shouted out for Pocohontas (spelling maybe incorrect!)..he expected a dog to come running and this poor little toddler came into the room..kid you not!!

I find once I've introduced myself, people often say, "oh I had a dog called Tara", even Mr Logan's nanny! I guess people think is a complement!!
Old May 14th 2005, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I found it amusing that there's an AFL player called "Shannon" which I always thought was a girl's name. Now I realise he's probably called after the place in Ireland or WA.
Poll - I was told off for calling someone Megan instead of Meegan today
There are loads of Larissas here, it was unusual when I was growing up.
Having a family with wierd names it's quite nice being here as they all have them!
Old May 14th 2005, 8:13 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
I found it amusing that there's an AFL player called "Shannon" which I always thought was a girl's name. Now I realise he's probably called after the place in Ireland or WA.
Poll - I was told off for calling someone Megan instead of Meegan today
There are loads of Larissas here, it was unusual when I was growing up.
Having a family with wierd names it's quite nice being here as they all have them!
Yeah, I've come across Shannon for boys, also Shane for girls. One thing I'm finding here is that you can often not tell whether the person is a male or female, just from their name - back in the UK there were occasions of that, but far less often.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 14th 2005 at 8:18 pm.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I went to school with 2 guys called Kerry & Kelly.

BTW Polly, in my case, Blake, Forbes & Lawson arent old family names, but you're sort of right, she does like old & traditional stuff .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; May 14th 2005 at 8:34 pm.
Old May 14th 2005, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah, O've come across Shannon for boys, also Shane for girls. One thing I'm findking here is that you can often not tell whether the person is a male or female, just from their name - back in the UK there were occasions of that, but far less often.
Like Beaudi, Beaudy, Jonte, Taylar, Turret, Ruby, Rudy, Denzil, Dexter, Shaquille, Tristan, Indiana, and Asher. All boys BTW.

The latest trend for girls seems to be old fashioned, names, lilly, grace, violet and cynthia have all been in the paper lately, knowing the love of royatly here Camilla might surface soon
Old May 14th 2005, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I went to school with 2 guys called Kerry & Kelly.

BTW Polly, in my case, Blake, Forbes & Lawson arent old family names, you're sort of right, but she does like old & traditional stuff .

Has someone else got a Lawson, weve only met one other one.
Old May 14th 2005, 9:28 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jad n rich
we have friends up in Rocky with a little boy called Lawson - first time I'd come across it.
Old May 14th 2005, 9:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Yeah, my great nephew, I've never met another one.

Never met another Forbes or Blake either come to think of it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.