Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie christian names

Wikiposts

Aussie christian names

Old May 14th 2005, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie christian names

One of the main freedoms I felt in Australia, was letting go of the bounds of past and tradition, I found some aspects of those conventions stifiling. Most people here don't bat an eyelid at those first names that you have mentioned.

I can just imagine some of the comments we would have received in England with our kids names.
We gave them the following names, simply because we liked them, had a few picked out for each child, and felt at the time of the births (all homebirths, so we had plenty of time to contemplate) that this particular choice suited the bundle in front of us

Luan, Nyree, Shona, and Ethan.

Havn't seen many Luan's our oldest Daughters Name, but plenty of the younger 3.
Old May 14th 2005, 11:59 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, the best spelling is the one with the 'h'.

GG

Originally Posted by Merlot
Yep I never realised there are 437 spellings of Nicola
M
Old May 14th 2005, 12:20 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I still can't get used to adressing a girl named Megan as Meeeegan. And another popular one for boys is Jayden, which I'd never come across before.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:24 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Of course, the best spelling is the one with the 'h'.

GG
Dead right!!

M

Old May 14th 2005, 12:42 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Christian Names Dictionary
Old May 14th 2005, 1:13 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a niece in UK called Brianna, never knew it was considered weird LOL. Funny, I read some of the names mentioned eg Jarrah, Kayla, Shania, Tayla & just think "new" names, but others eg. Kayleen (got a cousin called that), Luke, Trent & Ethan, are just as common & not "new" I know people called all of them in their 30's or older .

I personally went for traditional (Christopher & Michael), but that was partly because having identical twin boys, the poor kids would have enough problems with people knowing which one was which without adding to the problem by not being able to remember the names as well .
Old May 14th 2005, 1:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Peta. That is really confusing as when an Aussie says it, its almost impossible to tell whether they are asking for Peta or Peter.
We called our budgie Peta or Peter; we didnt know what sex it was, so decided we could sort out the spelling later It's now Peter

Old May 14th 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I personally went for traditional (Christopher & Michael), but that was partly because having identical twin boys, the poor kids would have enough problems with people knowing which one was which without adding to the problem by not being able to remember the names as well .
Snap again, Mrs DB. My sons are Christopher and Jonathan. Though I wanted to name Jonathan, Alistair. I lost that one.

As far as all the Nicola's go - I bet I'm the oldest (and therefore the original)
Old May 14th 2005, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Now thats a totally different mindset to ours, One of the reasons we went for what we considered were uncommon names, were so that people found them easier to remember ?

IE: whats that boys name, John, ron, tom etc etc

I wonder which is the easier to remember the common or not so common ?
Old May 14th 2005, 1:59 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Now thats a totally different mindset to ours, One of the reasons we went for what we considered were uncommon names, were so that people found them easier to remember ?

IE: whats that boys name, John, ron, tom etc etc

I wonder which is the easier to remember the common or not so common ?
LOL, no offence, but without scrolling up, I couldnt remember any of your first 3 kids names, not even if you told me the first letter .

Ethan I would remember, cos to me thats not an uncommon name, I have a nephew called Ethan .
Old May 14th 2005, 2:04 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by nickyc
Snap again, Mrs DB. My sons are Christopher and Jonathan. Though I wanted to name Jonathan, Alistair. I lost that one.
Funny (or then again, knowing us, probably not ) I like Alistair as a name too. Not as keen on Jonathon though, don't dislike it, I just wouldnt pick it. Just out of curiosity, do you shorten Christopher to Chris or not?
Old May 14th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Funny (or then again, knowing us, probably not ) I like Alistair as a name too. Not as keen on Jonathon though, don't dislike it, I just wouldnt pick it. Just out of curiosity, do you shorten Christopher to Chris or not?
No, I still call him Christopher. He calls himself Chris, though!
Old May 14th 2005, 2:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

LOL, no offence, but without scrolling up, I couldnt remember any of your first 3 kids names, not even if you told me the first letter .

Ethan I would remember, cos to me thats not an uncommon name, I have a nephew called Ethan .
I agree totally, Ethan is not uncommon, however It's not traditional either. Slightly digressing here, We found, that when naming our last born, the Boy, that it just didn't seem right to give him an unusual name, whereas with girls it seems quite easy and more acceptable to have a uncommon name. Just wonderd whether I'm alone in that view
Old May 14th 2005, 2:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I agree totally, Ethan is not uncommon, however It's not traditional either. Slightly digressing here, We found, that when naming our last born, the Boy, that it just didn't seem right to give him an unusual name, whereas with girls it seems quite easy and more acceptable to have a uncommon name. Just wonderd whether I'm alone in that view
Dunno about the girls vs boys thing, but I have 6 great nieces/nephews (3 sons/daughters each of 2 of my nieces) called Blake, Forbes & Lawson (all brothers) & Emma, Ethan & Imogen.

The first 3 are certainly unusual & are all boys .
Old May 14th 2005, 2:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by nickyc
No, I still call him Christopher. He calls himself Chris, though!
I call mine Christopher too, not that I dislike Chris, just never shortened it . He doesnt like Chris very much (probably cos hes never been called it alot), although he does get called Chris at school now.

I even went traditional with second names, used James as C's middle name & Charles as Michael's. James was just cos I liked it so much (always said I would have a son called James, then I went & used it as a middle name *doh*) & Charles I used cos it was my dad's name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.