Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie christian names

Aussie christian names

Old May 14th 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Aussie christian names

The other day the paper listed the 30 odd likely squad for the NSW side in the upcoming state of origin rugby league tests. What struck me was 5 players were called "luke", 2 were called "trent" and there was one "brent".

Up to now I had thought only aussie women had silly names (kylie, narelle, tegan etc)

What's the aussie fascination with weird names?

Why name your son after a river in stoke or a dodgy borough in London?

Last edited by Jimbo9; May 14th 2005 at 12:34 pm.
Old May 14th 2005, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie christian names

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
The other day the paper listed the 30 odd likely squad for the NSW side in the upcoming state of origin rugby league tests. What struck me was 5 players were called "luke", 2 were called "trent" and there was one "brent".

Up to now I had thought only aussie women had silly names (kylie, narelle, tegan etc)

Why name your son after a river in stoke or a dodgy borough og london?
Hmmm where the heck did Schapelle come from?

JTL
Old May 14th 2005, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Hmmm where the heck did Schapelle come from?

JTL
And her sister is called Mercedes - Just as well she wasn't preggers in jail - we dont need a Ferrari Corby in the world!
Old May 14th 2005, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

And her sister is called Mercedes - Just as well she wasn't preggers in jail - we dont need a Ferrari Corby in the world!
Hyundai!!

Excuse me I just sneezed

JTL
Old May 14th 2005, 1:05 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Have you considered the possibility that the said names might not be Christian names?
Old May 14th 2005, 1:24 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

We heard these names whilst we were over earlier in the year (which got me slightly worried!!!!) ...

Raelene
Brianna
Trenton

& some others that you'll hear...

Jarrah
Kayla
Shania
Tayla

Come back Emily, Samantha, Julie

D D
Old May 14th 2005, 1:54 pm
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

Are you saying "Luke" is a silly/weird name too? That one goes back to the Bible.
Agree about the others though. I much prefer (what seem now to be) old fashioned names like Jonathan, William etc.
Old May 14th 2005, 2:29 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Australians give their children first names not christian names. They give them names they like & don't need to consult you or look at a map of england to do so, lol
Old May 14th 2005, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You're not allowed to call them Christian names now, its all forenames or first-names
They don't seem to stick to tradition here as much as in the UK, even when they do use an older name its often got a weird spelling.
I can't believe I had never heard the name Narelle before - now I work with 4 of them, also with a Kaylene, Pamylla, and an abundance of women called Peta. That is really confusing as when an Aussie says it, its almost impossible to tell whether they are asking for Peta or Peter.
I've met kids called Lancaster, Trayzee, and Meeshell and Takiri (all English speaking familie & genuine spellings)They give the kids short versions of names - rather than giving the long version then shortening it - like Becka. I asked her mum if she was Rebecca, but no, its just Becka.
Different way of life I suppose, but it does seem odd when you first hear the names around you.

Last edited by Pollyana; May 14th 2005 at 2:46 pm.
Old May 14th 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear this - my kids are called Tallulah and Nakita, so should fit in well when we get there !!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

There's a shed load of Troys and Lachlans here ,

with Kylie (aboriginal for boomerang) still being the favourite female choice - there's 3 Kylies on the management noticeboard of the local supermarket!!!
Old May 14th 2005, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I still like Jaxson, Brock, Chenae, Bryce, Morgan, Thursday, Chye, Tonia, Tyler, Brodie and best of all Jesse. I love Jesse for a boy, almost tempted to have another child in the hope it's a boy & I could call him Jesse! OK, maybe not!

Loopy
Old May 14th 2005, 3:46 pm
Merlot

Helps them stand out as something more than a bland, cultureless country
Only kidding folks, mind I have heard that being said - seriously.

Yep I never realised there are 437 spellings of Nicola and that "Janice" is pronouced "Jan-eece" and that "Karen" is pronouced "Care-en".

M

Old May 14th 2005, 9:59 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Mercedes isn't an unusual ame. The car was names after a girl, not the other way around.
Old May 14th 2005, 10:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Ja Rule is the funniest one I have heard of but I am sure some Chav inthe UK has named their kid that.

There are plenty of traditional English names that are still hanging around as well as names from the post war migrants from all over the world. The offspring of the migrants seemed to have been mainly given Anglo/Celtic names whilst the next generation seems to be less hesitant about their background. A lot of generalising there.

Vive la difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.