aussie car rego

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:40 pm
WA country gal

freckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to all
Default aussie car rego

Hey guys,
we have a bit of a problem: we are on the verge of buying a campervan but will only use it for two months before temporarily going back to Holland. We can store the van with friends in Vic.
Which state makes it easy for us to renew the rego on the campervan while we are not in the country? Is it only in WA that you dont have to have the vehicle inspected? Thanks heaps for any advice!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: aussie car rego

Originally Posted by freckles
Hey guys,
we have a bit of a problem: we are on the verge of buying a campervan but will only use it for two months before temporarily going back to Holland. We can store the van with friends in Vic.
Which state makes it easy for us to renew the rego on the campervan while we are not in the country? Is it only in WA that you dont have to have the vehicle inspected? Thanks heaps for any advice!

I still have a car in Oz that my sister has been using for the last 3 1/2 years and each year, she just gets the rego notice posted to her and goes and pays it. Can your friends go to Vic roads and pay it for you while you are away?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:52 pm
WA country gal

freckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to allfreckles is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hels
I still have a car in Oz that my sister has been using for the last 3 1/2 years and each year, she just gets the rego notice posted to her and goes and pays it. Can your friends go to Vic roads and pay it for you while you are away?

Hi, thanks for your reply. What plates does your car have? Are they vic plates? I always thought that all cars in that state needed to be checked by a mechanic before you could renew the rego.
Are there any other states where you can just renew the rego without actually having to take the car to the mechanics?
thanks heaps!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:05 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi, thanks for your reply. What plates does your car have? Are they vic plates? I always thought that all cars in that state needed to be checked by a mechanic before you could renew the rego.
Are there any other states where you can just renew the rego without actually having to take the car to the mechanics?
thanks heaps!

You only need to get it checked for road worthiness if the rego lapses. If you pay it when its due you don't need to get it checked.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

jodesmc will become famous soon enoughjodesmc will become famous soon enough

Hiya,

You don't need to keep getting your car checked in Vic, just keep renewing the rego each year, the onus is on you to keep the car roadworthy. You shouldn't have a problem paying it, i paid mine last week, and it can be paid over the phone, or at any bank, I even think it may be paid online now.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:07 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

I'm pretty sure you don't need the inspection in Tasmania, either (judging from the state of my ex-boyfriends car!)
Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

clop is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: aussie car rego

Hey guys,
The Australian vehicle licensing system is a complete pain in the arse. Australia has eight main states and each of them has a different way of doing things. Each vehicle is registered in a particular state and bears number plates from that state. Note - the registered owner does not have to live in the plated state, unless they are a new owner. In addition, each vehicle must display a 'rego' from its plated state, in the windscreen - this is similar to UK car tax and includes third party medical insurance. Some states allow six month or twelve month 'rego's, others only allow twelve months - 'rego' fees also differ from state to state. Anyone with a driving licence can legally drive any vehicle with a valid 'rego'. Third party property (or comprehensive) insurance is an optional extra. When a vehicle is sold, any 'rego' remaining is automatically transferred to the new owner providing the plates are not changed, but a 2.75% Car Stamp Duty tax (there are other percentage brackets depending on purchase price) and a transfer fee are levied on the buyer. Some states, but not all, have an annual Roadworthy Test like an MOT - in these states you need a valid Roadworthy Certificate to transfer ownership of a vehicle.

How confusing.

clop
Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by clop
The Australian vehicle licensing system is a complete pain in the arse. Australia has eight main states and each of them has a different way of doing things. Each vehicle is registered in a particular state and bears number plates from that state. Note - the registered owner does not have to live in the plated state, unless they are a new owner. In addition, each vehicle must display a 'rego' from its plated state, in the windscreen - this is similar to UK car tax and includes third party medical insurance. Some states allow six month or twelve month 'rego's, others only allow twelve months - 'rego' fees also differ from state to state. Anyone with a driving licence can legally drive any vehicle with a valid 'rego'. Third party property (or comprehensive) insurance is an optional extra. When a vehicle is sold, any 'rego' remaining is automatically transferred to the new owner providing the plates are not changed, but a 2.75% Car Stamp Duty tax (there are other percentage brackets depending on purchase price) and a transfer fee are levied on the buyer. Some states, but not all, have an annual Roadworthy Test like an MOT - in these states you need a valid Roadworthy Certificate to transfer ownership of a vehicle.

How confusing.

clop

In Vic, you dont need to get the annual "MOT", but to transfer ownership of the vehicle with Vicroads, you have to get a roadworthy certificate....

Or thats how it was when I lived there 3 and a bit years ago...

Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:39 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Clop, you're talking off the top of your head. That might've been your experience but doesn't apply all around.

Hels and the others are on the right track. Roadworthy certificates (equivalent of the UK MOT) are only required if rego lapses or vehicle changes hands.

Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ProofReader
Clop, you're talking off the top of your head. That might've been your experience but doesn't apply all around.

Hels and the others are on the right track. Roadworthy certificates (equivalent of the UK MOT) are only required if rego lapses or vehicle changes hands.

PR...You do need to get an annual MOT in NSW. Not sure if any other States do, but NSW you need to. The only State I know of for sure is Vic that dont need to as its where I lived last....
Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

clop is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: aussie car rego

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Sorry! That was the entry from my blog last year when I was in Melbourne attempting to buy a WA-plated campervan without having to have it road tested or re-registered. At the time I was extremely pissed off!

clop
Old Aug 24th 2004, 10:52 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Red face Re: aussie car rego

Oops, now I'm talking off the top of my head! Sorry Clop and Hels. Perhaps I'll have another plonk!

NSW and NT do need a vehicle inspection certificate. WA, Qld and Vic don't need one. Can't speak for SA, Tas or ACT, sorry. Hic, burp ... ... pardon me.

Oh, different rules for commercially registered vehicles too. The above only refers to privately registered cars.