Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Car Insurance - Where do i start?

Aussie Car Insurance - Where do i start?

Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

babysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nicebabysinead is just really nice
Default Aussie Car Insurance - Where do i start?

Just bought a couple of cars, pretty decent ones too so think we should insure them as cannot afford to replace them.

Can anybody recommend an insurance company.....was looking for a Go compare........or a moneysupermarket.com........compare.com.

Their doesnt seem to be anything like it.......help......dont want to spend hours phoning up insurance companies
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:45 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Car Insurance - Where do i start?

Found this one but have no idea if it is any good:

http://carinsurancecomparison.com.au/

The RAC are quite good IMHO.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

AAMI were the cheapest for me at $550. Youi (or whatever they're called) were about $2000 a year more!!! So definately shop around.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

bingle.com.au for us

by far the cheapest on all of our cars by a bit as well
Old Sep 8th 2011, 8:56 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just bought a new car and I've went with Coles insurance found them to be the cheapest.. Just remember to put down the female as the main driver that knocks the price down too.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 9:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We are insured with Allianz. They weren't the cheapest but you need to look hard at the cover some of the cheaper ones give you. We picked a cheap, online only insurer for my husbands motorbike. When he sold the bike and he rang to cancel the insurance he was told they had gone out of business some months earlier. I know this could also happen to the big boys but I feel more comfortable (a few $$ poorer maybe) being insured with a big name.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:14 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
We are insured with Allianz. They weren't the cheapest but you need to look hard at the cover some of the cheaper ones give you.
Us too. We got a discount for also having the house insurance with them. I think my Barina is about $400/yr.

A workmate is with SGIO and they were excellent when she needed to claim.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
bingle.com.au for us

by far the cheapest on all of our cars by a bit as well
I have Bingle too.

$328 for this year, fully comp on a 2000 Ford Laser. Only been driving 4 years

Bingle insurance is underwritten by AAMI
Old Sep 8th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Another vote for Coles here!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

robertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant futurerobertnhelen has a brilliant future

Coles - and I have had a claim, one phone call and all sorted with plenty of calls back to me to see if all was OK etc, from memory approx $300 cheaper than the likes of Budget and Bingle. they are going in hard to claim a share in the market so the cheap prices may not last forever!
Old Sep 8th 2011, 11:17 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone but Youi.
Old Sep 9th 2011, 2:38 am
Just Joined

John Albany will become famous soon enoughJohn Albany will become famous soon enough

Just insured my wife's car with "Real pay as you drive". They charge you a basic premium plus an amount based on predicted annual mileage - you can top up as necessary and unused mileage is added to next year's allowance. Very competitive if you drive average or below average mileage. For 7,000 KM we are saving about 400 dollars on our Allianz renewal quote. We barely use the car though. My wife is currently a stay at home mum and I commute by motorcycle. For those who do bigger distances, it will be less competitive.

Just to share an experience regarding one of the big insurers - we normally just let our Allianz policy renew automatically, but this year noticed the premium had gone up something like 15 per cent and with a new bub and wife not working decided to shop around.

I was not that surprised to find several that were cheaper, but was shocked that they were several hundred dollars cheaper. I was previously one of those people who is content to pay a bit extra for the reassurance of being with a big insurer but not that much more! Even the Allianz online quote I got out of curiosity was nearly a hundred dollars less than the renewal quote. When my wife phoned to cancel the renewal, they offered her a discount, which she declined.

So for those who prefer to stay loyal it is worth bearing in mind that your loyalty is not rewarded. Quite the opposite in fact. So always insist on the deal that is offered to new customers rather than letting the policy renew automatically.

Last edited by John Albany; Sep 9th 2011 at 2:51 am. Reason: punctuation
Old Sep 9th 2011, 3:32 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Hubby was with HBF (discount cos our health insurance was with them) but found this year AAMI was cheaper. I've been with SGIO then found Allianz cheaper this year....
Old Sep 9th 2011, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Hubby was with HBF (discount cos our health insurance was with them) but found this year AAMI was cheaper. I've been with SGIO then found Allianz cheaper this year....
Yeah, we were with SGIO and switched to Allianz. We actually spoke to the SGIO guy and asked him if he were willing to price match to keep our business and he said no. Okay then...
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:49 pm
Now in Oz

trackye will become famous soon enough

Does car insurance work the same as in UK? i.e. do you insure the car or the drivers? Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.