Aussie Battler

Old Apr 29th 2004, 12:48 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie Battler

Apparently I am one

I was in court in Brisbane the other day to watch a local scumbag get sent down. The reason I went was that he was one of the young men that thought is was acceptable to break into our untenanted house, squat there for a few days, steal everything that was not screwed down (and a few things that were), sell it all and then steal an old car of ours to drive down to NSW to get drugs. All in all, not a very pleasant bunch of lads.

Anyway - all that was over a year ago and a few months later the police finally caught up with him (by which time he had done a few other things). They could not charge him for stealing our stuff, just for unlawful entry, but they did do him for taking the vehicle. He chose to plead guilty to all charges (4 taking vehicle without owners consent, 5 driving while disqualified, 1 illegal entry and 1 arson).

While the judge was summing up prior to sentencing him, he referred to the fact that a car is often the most or second most valuable asset that someone has and that often they are stolen from "Aussie Battlers" and the theft causes considerable hardship to the owner.

Now, whilst I have no problems with the concept of the Aussie Battler, I have to admit to feeling just a little embarrassed to be described as one. :scared:

Incidentally, the bloke got 3 years (part of it suspended) and the judge told him that when he gets out and is still liable to be sent down again for anything he does, that he should try and be "fair dinkum". And there was me thinking this was an expression only found in Neville Shute novels

Cheers,

DagBoy

PS. The "severity" of the sentence was mainly due the the fact that one of the vehicles taken was a fire truck and that was the one that he burned out for the arson charge.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya Aussie Battler. Glad to read that he was put down for a while.

Whisky
Old Apr 29th 2004, 1:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The first time I came to Queensland I was working as a marshal on a track at Ipswich with a guy who said "Fair dinkum" as part of every sentence! I was stunned! Never heard it said "live" before!!!
Glad the little git got something for his trouble, Dagboy. Must admit though, you don't fit my image of an Aussie battler.......:scared:

My brother got done once for smashing up a fire engine - he got fined £30 which he couldn;t pay so they told him to paint someones fence, for community service, and to be a good boy. Hope this toerag learns more fom his punishment than my scumbag brother did.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

The one thing that they say here that winds me up is when you ask someone a question and in their answer they say ' yer, no'.
Do they mean yes or do they mean no?

Whisky
Old Apr 29th 2004, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

But like the bloke in the Vicar of Dibley "yes, yes, yes, No"!
Biggest problem I have is messages left on the awful answerphone at work - trying to decipher the addresses when they speak fast is terrible!!
Rather nice today though - had to ring a woman back for the second time and she called me by name at once, saying I was the only English person who had ever phoned her, and she loved listening to the accent!!!
Old Apr 29th 2004, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

The ignorant Pom that Iam,
I decided I'd better do a "google" on the "A B"

Instructions to the Little Aussie Battler
Work harder.
Make someone else redundant.
This is efficiency.
Competition is our salvation.
This way we cost our betters less.
One day we'll be internationally competitive
and get paid a dollar
for a fourteen hour day.
Then we'll understand what world best practice means.
P. Tomlin

Old Apr 29th 2004, 2:42 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Aussie Battler

Originally posted by DagBoy

Apparently I am one

Now, whilst I have no problems with the concept of the Aussie Battler, I have to admit to feeling just a little embarrassed to be described as one. :scared:
Is this you, this Aussie Battler?

lol
Attached Thumbnails Aussie Battler-00000545-image.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Battler

Originally posted by janeyray
Is this you, this Aussie Battler?

lol
Yes, thats him, before he got a hair cut & got a real job :scared: :scared: :scared: .
Old May 2nd 2004, 11:21 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought this was a currency thread (the AUD is sometimes referred to as the Aussie Battler). On a law and order theme police in the UK just got someone for the theft of my sisters car 2 years ago. She was just about to go travelling so the insurance money came in handy.

Today they matched the DNA and got the bugger. I wonder how the judges wording will match up.