Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie banks question/worry

Aussie banks question/worry

Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aussie banks question/worry

Weve got some funds with a couple of banks here. One offers slightly higher interest than the main 4. However just recently they are actually ringing up, email, etc offering an even higher interest rate. Today a personal phone call asking us to invest funds with them

We have been quite happy with them, but seems a little odd for a bank to ring up you up encouraging you to invest funds at way above the market rate

Anyone else getting these calls?
Old Jul 24th 2008, 7:58 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie banks question/worry

Without knowing what bank you're talking about I can only make a couple of wild guesses.

Are the calls from Bank of Queensland? They are actually a franchise and I would imagine that the owner-managers get higher bonuses the more customers and the more funds invested they have.

Link here: http://www.boq.com.au/aboutus_corporate_omb.htm

If it's Bankwest, then the reason for a slightly higher interest rate is probably that they have an aggressive expansion strategy for "over east". If it's Bankwest I wouldn't worry. They are wholly owned by HBOS UK (that's Halifax Bank of Scotland).

Can't speculate further without knowing what bank you're talking about.

Gina
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GinaUK
If it's Bankwest I wouldn't worry. They are wholly owned by HBOS UK (that's Halifax Bank of Scotland).

Gina
The same HBOS whose recent rights issue got a 8% take-up.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ossigeno
I declined my share option and asked them to sell them instead.

I got £2.88 for them......as it was under £5 the money automatically went to charity.........I was never even asked if I wanted it

G
Old Jul 24th 2008, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I declined my share option and asked them to sell them instead.

I got £2.88 for them......as it was under £5 the money automatically went to charity.........I was never even asked if I wanted it

G
Whats the story (apart from the obvious credit crunch ) with this HBOS thing, from what I can tell (google research ) shares fell about 75% and nobody wants the shares, they own bankwest dont they.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:19 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ossigeno
Correct but it was fully underwritten which means HBOS got all the billions they wanted from the investment banks. Their investment banks have to stump up the cash by flogging the shares at full price.
Old Jul 24th 2008, 10:21 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Whats the story (apart from the obvious credit crunch ) with this HBOS thing, from what I can tell (google research ) shares fell about 75% and nobody wants the shares, they own bankwest dont they.
The shares bounced back.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...siness.banking
Old Jul 24th 2008, 11:05 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Whats the story (apart from the obvious credit crunch )
That is the story. All the big banks in the UK have done this since the start of the year: tried to raise more cash from investors by doing a share issue.

Gina
Old Jul 24th 2008, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by GinaUK
That is the story. All the big banks in the UK have done this since the start of the year: tried to raise more cash from investors by doing a share issue.

Gina

Or in OZ by ringing the customers and asking for it

So did anyone else get in OZ get the calls ?