Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

View Poll Results: Which Aussie bank is best, and why!?
ANZ
13.27%
Westpac
28.57%
HSBC
18.37%
Commonwealth Bank of Australia
23.47%
ASB Bank
0%
National Australia Bank
16.33%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:05 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Which Aussie Bank is best and why!?

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
can anyone tell me

i have savings over here in the uk and will not transfer it until the exchange rate changes in my favour ( if ever )
if i were to open an account with say hsbc ( or any other big world bank ) over here and deposit our savings into it if we then opened an account with the same bank on our arrival in australia could they then see how much we have saved with them and get easier credit say for a car and credit cards , basically can it work in our favour or does it mean nothing
As far as I'm aware none of the banks will consider what you have in the UK banks, As for credit for a car I found this very easy to get if you go with a dealer, I know if can cost a bit more sometime and its secured on your car but depends how much you need a car. I would say just bring some of your money out her and go from there, Because who knows how long the rates will be like this, Also need to take into account, What interest rate your getting in the UK to what you can get over here. Currently a few banks are offering around 5.50% + for savings accounts on the internet.
Gary
Old Jan 11th 2010, 7:28 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Just curious as to which Aussie bank people have had the most positive experiences with, and what those experiences have been, thanks in advance for your help people!
I worked for Suncorp for 4 years and they, as an organisation, are bastards.

Customer service is appalling and the number of cock-ups is numerous.

What's that? I worked for them therefore I was a bastard? Probably true ...

Oh, "positive experiences"? Hold on, I'll have a think.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:47 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell is Westpac winning the poll!

Simply the worst bank I have ever been with. They don't care about their customers and provided poor service.

I am going back to a "foreign bank" probably HSBC.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 8:50 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Westpac Choice account waives the $5pm fee if at least $2,000 is deposited into account each month. (normal salary should cover that for many people)

Westpac Basic Account has no monthly fee, but is only available to those who also receive a government payment such as FTB. (that covers most parents)

I also like HSBC though, and have a couple of accounts with them as well (both fee free)
Also try using your Westpac credit card overseas and see how many charges they add. Disgraceful.

Luckily I still have a UK credit card which I use when I go on holiday, which has no fees at all.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 9:20 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I am very happy with the new NAB Gold Bankling account I opened just before Xmas.

This includes free overseas ATM withdrawls + no commision fees, however the exchange rate was also a nice surprise. I withdrew cash from an HSBC ATM in London, checked xe.com at the time and the live market rate was $1.801. My £100 withdrawl cost me $180.53 i.e. a rate of $1.805....can't argue with that!

As I think I said before....NAB are removing monthly fees....for gold banking no fee if you deposit $5k a month, other accounts I don't think there is any deposit requirement.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Also try using your Westpac credit card overseas and see how many charges they add. Disgraceful.

Luckily I still have a UK credit card which I use when I go on holiday, which has no fees at all.
So do I But when I use it here in Australia, I get charged the same as when I use my Australian credit card for overseas.

I used my Australian Woolworths Credit card for a UK Moonpig transaction the other day.
£7.18 cost me $13.30 all up, or $1.85 to the £. The Oanda Interbank average rate for the day was 1.82060

Old Jan 12th 2010, 2:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
can anyone tell me

i have savings over here in the uk and will not transfer it until the exchange rate changes in my favour ( if ever )
if i were to open an account with say hsbc ( or any other big world bank ) over here and deposit our savings into it if we then opened an account with the same bank on our arrival in australia could they then see how much we have saved with them and get easier credit say for a car and credit cards , basically can it work in our favour or does it mean nothing
None whatsover. I had this discussion with an Australian HSBC person, as I bank with both UK and Aus HSBC, and they give no benefit for that at all.

But then, if you don't have a bad credit rating, the fact that you have no history is no problem either.

Old Jan 15th 2010, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I'd put a positive vote in for St George, but my only point of comparison is the Commonwealth, which we found to be awful.

I have an ANZ Visa card and was very surprised to get additional charges when using the card abroad. So watch out for this.

The Oz banks have it easy and I don't think the market is that competitive, on the other hand they haven't "misbehaved" like their US and UK counterparts!

We have a St George offset mortgage thingy where anything you have in your current account or savings offsets your interest payments on the mortgage. There are fees for this but as long as you have sufficient funds then you are still ahead of the game.

The interest rate is quite competitive too: 5.98% at the moment. So I would recommend this.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Ok is it easy to change banks if ours turns out to be a dud?

Was thinking either Westpac or Commwealth, so if they don't shape up, would it be the same as changing banks here in the UK?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:09 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Depends what type of visa you have.

If temp visa them HSBC won't issue a credit card without holding the amount of the credit card on deposit with them.

Westpac require a tax return and proof of funds before they will consider you for a credit card.

ANZ no problem - credit card given without any deposit with them.

These banks are absolutely ridiculous. You can fully own your house, car and have no debts yet they still refuse you a credit card as you have a temp visa regardles that it is for 10 years and renewable and that you have made Australia your home.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
Depends what type of visa you have.

If temp visa them HSBC won't issue a credit card without holding the amount of the credit card on deposit with them.

Westpac require a tax return and proof of funds before they will consider you for a credit card.

ANZ no problem - credit card given without any deposit with them.

These banks are absolutely ridiculous. You can fully own your house, car and have no debts yet they still refuse you a credit card as you have a temp visa regardles that it is for 10 years and renewable and that you have made Australia your home.

Hmmm interesting/disturbing. We have PR visas. I suppose we'll shop around, if one doesn't suit us we'll move to another after a while.

Probably won't need CCards at first.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 6:51 pm
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GarryP
Quick update for those in a similar situation.

I decided to go with NAB since they were doing away with fees in Jan. However on their website when you try to apply they attempt to push you towards an Investment Account - with no debit cards, transaction fees, etc. Talking to their representative on the phone, the trick seems to be to select 'other' as visa type and tell them you want a classic banking current account instead. Not sure if it will work, but I thought I'd pass it on.

And no idea why they try to push an investment account when its a current account you need when you turn up...
We had to open a bank account as we only scraped together the points for our visa by investing in Aussie gov bonds (think that option no longer exists?).

NAB were the most responsive - they quickly opened us an "investment manager" account - it's actually instant access, but no cards etc which we weren't bothered about then - only really need them when you actually go to live there.

The deal is that when you go to validate your visa (or move there fullstop), you let them know you're coming & set up an appointment in advance for when you arrive - they then prepared our cards etc for a new proper bank account to be collected in person so that they could check passport etc (and try to cross sell us things!).

All very smooth and easy. Once they've seen you and your ID, you can open any accounts you like (and track them on their internet banking which is efficient and user friendly).

Hope this helps
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

ThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura aboutThKmOZ has a spectacular aura about

is NAB winning per no Monthly fees?
how about other hidden fees, coz I've read on ANZ as they don't have any hidden fees, we just need to pay 5$ monthly fees.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

Good thread but I'm even more confused and undecided as before! We are heading to Perth in 6 weeks and we are just looking into bank accounts.
HSBC here tried to convince us paying £100 for the benefit of sending our credit report over was worth it - is it? Not sure my credit score is worth it anyway

What do the Aussie's call a current account? Is it a savings account? We don't want any credit cards, investments etc. we just need a basic everyday account and maybe a savings account for the kids.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

From the limited options I would choose HSBC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.