Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

Wikiposts

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:24 am

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

Well guys I just found your forum, so ill start by introducing myself. Im a 17 year old student from the UK in a family of four. My mum, dad and my brother and me.

We have been out to get our visas stamped etc, so we should be moving out in the next few months..... I cant wait to get out there.

Can anyone shed some light on good schools around brisbane public or private for a 17 year old who is currently doing AS-Levels at school. Also could you please tell me which year I would be in as they are different in aussie to the UK Thanks for the help and hopefully Ill be over in the next few months.... wooooo

Great site you have here also, only 1 bad thing is the integrated adverts into the posts... makes it a little difficult to read. Admin, you not like phpBB?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
Well guys I just found your forum, so ill start by introducing myself. Im a 17 year old student from the UK in a family of four. My mum, dad and my brother and me.

We have been out to get our visas stamped etc, so we should be moving out in the next few months..... I cant wait to get out there.

Can anyone shed some light on good schools around brisbane public or private for a 17 year old who is currently doing AS-Levels at school. Also could you please tell me which year I would be in as they are different in aussie to the UK Thanks for the help and hopefully Ill be over in the next few months.... wooooo

Great site you have here also, only 1 bad thing is the integrated adverts into the posts... makes it a little difficult to read. Admin, you not like phpBB?

Hi, can't help much with your questions as still in Uk myself, but welcome to the mad house

The Ads disappear if you subscribe
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Hi, can't help much with your questions as still in Uk myself, but welcome to the mad house

The Ads disappear if you subscribe
The ads have to be there as they provide the money to keep the site going - but as Wendy says, if you subscribe, they vanish
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The ads have to be there as they provide the money to keep the site going - but as Wendy says, if you subscribe, they vanish
I understand that the site has to keep going through ads but why not put them up at the top, thats where all my ads are on the forums I admin but yeah thanks for the welcome... and yeah it definitly is a mad house :P
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that the site has to keep going through ads but why not put them up at the top,

Dunno
Old Jan 24th 2006, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, im abit younger, im nearly 16. Just had my careers interview and didn't talk much about careers over here (isle of man) so instead he guided me in the direction of Stefan Watts. Have yet to call him and speak about what i am going to do. As i am doing my GCSE's this year he gave me an email address and number to contact him, could be useful for you,
He is a Uk Based manager of a company who promotes education opportunities to Uk schools on behalf of australian institutions.
His Email: [email protected]

Let me know how you get on

Do you know where abouts in Brisbane you are moving to?
Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Hi, im abit younger, im nearly 16. Just had my careers interview and didn't talk much about careers over here (isle of man) so instead he guided me in the direction of Stefan Watts. Have yet to call him and speak about what i am going to do. As i am doing my GCSE's this year he gave me an email address and number to contact him, could be useful for you,
He is a Uk Based manager of a company who promotes education opportunities to Uk schools on behalf of australian institutions.
His Email: [email protected]

Let me know how you get on

Do you know where abouts in Brisbane you are moving to?
Hi Scotty T

Well I cannot help you with Brisbane schools as I have only taught in various schools on the Sunshine Coast. Are you planning to go on to a Univarsity course?? as you will need to get an OP score for a University entrance. The score you get will generally determine which University courses you can get in to. The highest is OP1 and this will let you into pretty much any course you want ie medicine etc and then other courses have different ratings. To get a rating you have to do a series of examination papers which measure your ability in a variety of areas - I have seen students doing practise papers - but am not sure exactly how many exams you have to complete. There are also a mixture of senior subjects - some are board subjects others are not - those who want to progress onto Uni courses take board subjects. you will have to speak to your teachers about what subjects you can take.

As subjects seem to be taught with different curriculums here I do not know whether you could just do 1 year (year 12) or whether you would have to do year 11 and 12 - I expect someone on the forum would have had family going through the same move as you and would have experience of that. I expect agewise that you would be in year 12 as you are 17?? - lots of students here are still only 17 when they leave school after completing year 12.
I would maybe try and email a few of the schools in the area you might be heading to and explain your situation - I`m sure they would be able to give you more definative answers.
Probably confused you more that helped so good luck in your search.
SJ
Old Jan 24th 2006, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by S J Jackson
Hi Scotty T

Well I cannot help you with Brisbane schools as I have only taught in various schools on the Sunshine Coast. Are you planning to go on to a Univarsity course?? as you will need to get an OP score for a University entrance. The score you get will generally determine which University courses you can get in to. The highest is OP1 and this will let you into pretty much any course you want ie medicine etc and then other courses have different ratings. To get a rating you have to do a series of examination papers which measure your ability in a variety of areas - I have seen students doing practise papers - but am not sure exactly how many exams you have to complete. There are also a mixture of senior subjects - some are board subjects others are not - those who want to progress onto Uni courses take board subjects. you will have to speak to your teachers about what subjects you can take.

As subjects seem to be taught with different curriculums here I do not know whether you could just do 1 year (year 12) or whether you would have to do year 11 and 12 - I expect someone on the forum would have had family going through the same move as you and would have experience of that. I expect agewise that you would be in year 12 as you are 17?? - lots of students here are still only 17 when they leave school after completing year 12.
I would maybe try and email a few of the schools in the area you might be heading to and explain your situation - I`m sure they would be able to give you more definative answers.
Probably confused you more that helped so good luck in your search.
SJ
hehe no you didn confuse me thanks for the help. What age then do you leave to go to uni, at the end of year 12? I wouldnt mind having to go back a year to get caught up and get the most points as possible. And yeah I am looking to go onto uni to probably do Computer Science or Business Management. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

https://addons.mozilla.org/extension...info.php?id=10

Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of integrated ads within the posts puzzles me.

I'm not a paid-up member AND I use Explorer, yet I don't get any ads interpersed within the posts - the only ads I see are four at the top and four at the bottom. Just text, no pictures, and very easy to ignore.

Could my settings have anything to do with the ads? I use the Classic shell and display 40 posts per page.
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future

From what i can gather most students are 18 when they start university here. I expect a few ie those born in November/December are still only 17.
Many students like in the UK take a gap year in order to work and save up some money. There are some schemes that help you with fees but I am not sure how long you have to have lived here to be eligible - there is something called Hex (not sure of spelling) but you will have to look into it. There also seems to be more opportuntiy to change from one course to another here - I know a few who have done a year or two in one subject and then have changed to a totally different one. (One girl did 2 years of a teaching degree and now has changed to do a Law degree!).
Most schools on the coast run a 4 day school week for those in years 11 and 12 to give students a free day for work or for part time jobs. I would say if you are prepared to drop back a year it would give you the opportunity to get a higher OP score. You will also be missing the first part of the school year as Queensland schools started back this week. When are you due to arrive in OZ??

SJ
Old Jan 24th 2006, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Is it really that bad in the U.K. that a seventeen year old wants to leave so badly?
Old Jan 25th 2006, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Is it really that bad in the U.K. that a seventeen year old wants to leave so badly?
hahaha yup, aussie > UK

We wont be arriving in Aussie until June until I have completed my AS-Levels... so I guess ill miss half of this year of school in aussie. What are the typical term dates starting and finishing etc... thanks for the help
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:59 am
In The Malls, Brisbane

frankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nicefrankie.p is just really nice

yeh thats exactly what im doing, i heard that the school times for around the age of me 16 - 17, they start skwl at 7:30, is this true? :S plz say no lol,
Old Jan 26th 2006, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Irish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond reputeIrish Aussie Teen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankie.p
yeh thats exactly what im doing, i heard that the school times for around the age of me 16 - 17, they start skwl at 7:30, is this true? :S plz say no lol,
O i hope not! I wont be able to get up that early!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.