Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie ahead of UK

Aussie ahead of UK

Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aussie ahead of UK

Much has been said of Aussie being behind the UK but on government provided internet services the land down under is roaring ahead.

I have done on line tax returns (very quick accurate and efficient)
Alan Collett probably hates it but I am sure he is getting business from all the new regulations coming in.

I have also renewed my Road Tax online.

In a couple of years I will be applying for Citizenship on line and visitors can now apply for ETAs and WHVs on the web.

In the UK the IR has wasted millions on internet tax returns and created giant cock up.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...292595247.html for more details.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:20 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Aussie ahead of UK

Originally posted by bondipom
Much has been said of Aussie being behind the UK but on government provided internet services the land down under is roaring ahead.

I have done on line tax returns (very quick accurate and efficient)
Alan Collett probably hates it but I am sure he is getting business from all the new regulations coming in.

I have also renewed my Road Tax online.

In a couple of years I will be applying for Citizenship on line and visitors can now apply for ETAs and WHVs on the web.

In the UK the IR has wasted millions on internet tax returns and created giant cock up.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...292595247.html for more details.
I agree in some ways, yes Aus has some great online services, such as being able to pay council tax and the like online.

I have done my past 2 tax returns online here though, and hav'nt had a problem.....unless that is there was somthing wrong and they hav'nt told me! Hope i don't get done for not doing the return lol.

Whats the internet access itself like over there? Broadband i hear i still expensive, and not very widely available (main cities only??). Main problem i have heard is the limited amount of bandwidth you get?
Old Oct 8th 2003, 8:44 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie ahead of UK

Originally posted by PeteY
I agree in some ways, yes Aus has some great online services, such as being able to pay council tax and the like online.

I have done my past 2 tax returns online here though, and hav'nt had a problem.....unless that is there was somthing wrong and they hav'nt told me! Hope i don't get done for not doing the return lol.

Whats the internet access itself like over there? Broadband i hear i still expensive, and not very widely available (main cities only??). Main problem i have heard is the limited amount of bandwidth you get?
Broadband is not great and a lot of metered uasage. Check out www.whirlpool.net.au for more details.

This post was about government provided internet services. I think the smaller size of government (that is absolute size not size relative to population) helps.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:39 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Mmmm...

I got my Telstra phone bill today (1 month)

Line rental $28
Dial up internet access $29
Calls to connect to internet $18 !!!!

My internet access includes unlimited time conected but I have to be carefull how much I download as I get charged extra!?
I thought "I don't download anything so I will be ok' but I didn't realise visiting a website was downloading?

I use to pay 15.99 a month in the UK for Broadband, with unlimited time and unlimited downloads. Doesn't sound very ahead to me
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

I do my tax online and pay my council tax online here in the UK. In fact I would say in my experience far more government and private industries have a good online presence in the UK than in Australia.
Old Oct 8th 2003, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Bondipom, life paying bills and stuff is far easier here, both online and especially at the post office.

Internet connections are a different story, tried telstra bigpond and they were a waste of space, dropouts, poor connections gave up with them yesterday could connect but then not view anything then would dropout (not funny at 17c a pop to connect) Today have signed up with DoDo $69 for 3 months unlimited time and download, so far so good.