Aussie Accent

Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:37 pm
Oz won't no whats hit em!

lindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant future
Talking Aussie Accent

hello.

I was just wondering how long it has taken people to delvelop an aussie accent. I am hoping to land next summer (english summer not aussie) and both my brother and I are quite keen to develop the accent and to be "proper aussies" We are heading to Rockingham or freemantle, Perth.

cheers

love Linda x
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:46 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Aussie Accent

Originally Posted by lindaclaire
hello.

I was just wondering how long it has taken people to delvelop an aussie accent. I am hoping to land next summer (english summer not aussie) and both my brother and I are quite keen to develop the accent and to be "proper aussies" We are heading to Rockingham or freemantle, Perth.

cheers

love Linda x
I can't see that I'll ever be able to get rid of my northern accent
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:48 pm

lindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant futurelindaclaire has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Aussie Accent

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I can't see that I'll ever be able to get rid of my northern accent
are you in australia yet or are you still waiting for ur visa? if you're there, how long have u beening out there/ where did u settle?

sorry for twenty questions!!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:48 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

hello.

cheers

love Linda x
Linda, I am in fact finding it quite the reverse.

I am retrograding back to quite a broad Cornish accent.........I don't always realise it myself but the love of my life points it out occassionally..........usually with her elbow

Now just think if the same happens to you what will it be............pure Essex girl ?
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:51 pm
Account Closed

are you in australia yet or are you still waiting for ur visa? if you're there, how long have u beening out there/ where did u settle?

sorry for twenty questions!!
Been in Melbourne for 7 months now - and settling very well thanks - in fact, love it here
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Been in Melbourne for 7 months now - and settling very well thanks - in fact, love it here
Especially the work
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Especially the work
What work?

Having a bit of time, as I've got family visitors coming soon - then I'll work again!
Old Aug 9th 2005, 1:57 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

I've got family visitors coming soon
Then you'll be glad to work
Old Aug 9th 2005, 2:00 pm
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all

hello.

cheers

love Linda x
Well, to aussies, unless you are really young (say younger than 12 or so) then never (My dad emigrated to Australia as a 12 year old and he has an aussie accent, all of his older siblings have still got their Scottish twangs)

To your British friends, probably within about 5 minutes of landing, and you'll get sick of people "back home" saying "OMG you sound like an Aussie!" when the next minute you walk to the shop and someone makes fun of your English accent!

Michelle
Old Aug 9th 2005, 2:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bix
Then you'll be glad to work
Sure will - for 1, I want to work - just not where I was; and 2, after 9 weeks of visitors (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ), I'll be begging for work :scared:
Old Aug 9th 2005, 2:08 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

hello.

cheers

love Linda x
It depends how old you are, I was a child coming here & didn't speak english very much anyway, being welsh. So I was speaking oz within 3 months. I still speak welsh with an accent that can be localised to my home town, though

Strange things accents
Old Aug 9th 2005, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
It depends how old you are, I was a child coming here & didn't speak english very much anyway, being welsh. So I was speaking oz within 3 months. I still speak welsh with an accent that can be localised to my home town, though

Strange things accents
beng nineteen, twenty when we eventually get there i don't suppose i'll have much chance then, i'll be like my uncle, somehwere in between!! better than nothing i guess
Old Aug 9th 2005, 2:25 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

beng nineteen, twenty when we eventually get there i don't suppose i'll have much chance then, i'll be like my uncle, somehwere in between!! better than nothing i guess
you'll be ok, you're not past it

I have a 24yo son in the US who is getting more of a US accent by day, so I think you'll adapt, but never completely, but that's not a bad thing anyway
Old Aug 9th 2005, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
you'll be ok, you're not past it

I have a 24yo son in the US who is getting more of a US accent by day, so I think you'll adapt, but never completely, but that's not a bad thing anyway

how long has he been out there out of interest? (just being nosy now!!)
Old Aug 10th 2005, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by michellemac
Well, to aussies, unless you are really young (say younger than 12 or so) then never
Michelle
It's true, I read somewhere that you unlikely to completely lose an accent past around the age of 11 or 12. Something to do with languages and brain development. That said, every time I call home my dad says I sound Australian and calls me Sheila - I can't wait til he comes over for a holiday and hears how strong the accent really is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.