Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aussie $ linked to ????

Aussie $ linked to ????

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:51 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Aussie $ linked to ????

Just wondering what other currency(ies) the Aussie Dollar is linked to in the world. I think someone told me it got stronger the weaker the US $ but can`t remember.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 4:54 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aussie $ linked to ????

Originally Posted by Stormz
Just wondering what other currency(ies) the Aussie Dollar is linked to in the world. I think someone told me it got stronger the weaker the US $ but can`t remember.
Perhaps you mean $Canadian and $New Zealand - the "commodity currency triplet" in the eyes of many current curency traders.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:06 am
ABCDiamond

I'm not sure that any currencies are actually "linked" to any other.

They are more linked to interest rates than anything else. eg: If Australian interest rates go up, more foreign currencies will come into Australia making the AUD worth more in relation to the other countries currencies.

There are other factors, but I think this is one of the main ones.

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

AUD contracted some of the so called Asian contagion in 97/98. The main indicator to look for is commodity pricing. Australia is a net oil exporter and the $50 barrel is boosting the AUD.

USD is plunging due to Bush's profligacy and inability to realise the damage his spending is doing to the US and potentially the world economy.