Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ausie rules footy

Ausie rules footy

Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:29 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Ausie rules footy

Well I have always kept myself well clear of Aussie rules purely cos I didn't get the rules so didn't enjoy it.

So today Hubby's cousin came over to watch the West coast Eagles play collingwood.

SO being a southern chick and hating the fact that soooooooooo many southerners support Man U I had to go through all the teams to figure out who I should support in the Aussie league So it comes down to 2 west coast teams the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle Dockers so being as I don't live in Freo and do live on the west coast I then and there became a fan of the West Coast Eagles which was handy as they were one of the teams playing.

SO Ants cousin came up with a great game where we each had 2 players and everytime there name was mentioned by the comentators you had to skull a bit of your drink.

Now admitedly the drinking bit helped but if you are having dificulty getting into the Aussie Rules try this game as because you have to listen to hear if they mention one of your players you also get to learn the game and to be fair it is bloody good.

So I am a new found Eagles fan, Off to buy myself a scarf, some car stickers ad one of the number plate holders for my car 2moro so I dont feel part of the gang.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:34 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ausie rules footy

How's the head?
Old Feb 26th 2005, 2:37 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
How's the head?
Absolutely fine right now cos I followed the Aussie rules match with the "soccer" Southampton V's Arsenal and I'm still being very friendly with a bottle of Jacks.

Prob not so good in the morning tho
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:11 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

The funny thing is with Aussie Rules.... there are no rules.

I liked to play it as it`s basically Gaelic Football crossed with Running Red Rover, but I always found it dead boring to watch (unless there was a brawl... which was often).

Nah, give me the real football any day. Then Rugby.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 3:17 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Stormz

I liked to play it as it`s basically Gaelic Football crossed with Running Red Rover, but I always found it dead boring to watch (unless there was a brawl... which was often).

Nah, give me the real football any day. Then Rugby.
I'm with you there I love my football (the propper type, soccer) but I definately enjoyed the Aussie rules tonight

Kala
Old Feb 26th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

how has this post managed to escape the laithlan radar? I was expecting at least one lame rugby league comment.

You probably chose well WC an excellent chance for the top 6 and even more this year.

great to see the arse get all grumpy about failing to beat 10 man saints. I too watched the game in the pub. sadly 4 me i had to get up early as the other half is working. after 3 hours sleep i'm feeling decidedly dusty.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 8:39 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I have only seen the odd game but it seems to me like a mass brawl outside a pub with a ball bobbing around in the middle.

Someone once told me the game was invented as something for the cricketers to do in the off-season. If true it seems odd that you have players in starched white uniforms playing a typically English polite game half a year then at the end of the season they turn into thugs having a punch up over who gets to hold of a leather-covered bladder.

Then again, rugby is a game played by men with odd-shaped balls who spend 80 minutes with their heads between each others legs then they all go off for a shower together. So maybe all sports are odd.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:26 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RichS
great to see the arse get all grumpy about failing to beat 10 man saints. I too watched the game in the pub. sadly 4 me i had to get up early as the other half is working. after 3 hours sleep i'm feeling decidedly dusty.
Bugger. If you`re talking about S`ton then you`ve just ruined it for me as I`m about to watch MOTD in a few mins. If you`re talking rugby or whatever then I blame the drugs.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

how has this post managed to escape the laithlan radar? I was expecting at least one lame rugby league comment.

You probably chose well WC an excellent chance for the top 6 and even more this year.

I'm sure Laithlan will pick up on it eventually - lol - nothing wrong with league mind u!!!!!

Go the lions = another grand final looming
Old Feb 27th 2005, 1:53 pm
PommieLeague

You seriously have a screw loose mate. Whats your problem? You must hate rugby league that much that when i mention it, you have a fit or something, get a life! Idiot.

Old Feb 27th 2005, 3:02 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lathlain
You seriously have a screw loose mate. Whats your problem? You must hate rugby league that much that when i mention it, you have a fit or something, get a life! Idiot.

When you mention it?????

You never stop mentioning it.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:41 pm
Badge

The ball is in motion so much, there's hardly any time for a brawl, I've noticed in Aerial Ping Pong. Sure, there may be a spot of handbags, but there's actually less contact in some ways.

The thing I like about rugby is the full on tackles, players will pick up a bloke and dump him, or take a crash ball in to a player. Aerial Ping Pong is more of a "piggy in the middle" panic helter skelter rush, with players treating the ball like a hot potato. I like it though.

In order of preference: (Aus)

Rugby League
Rugby Union
AFL

Soccer - never watch it, infact try to avoid it.

In order of preference (UK)

Rugby Union
Rugby League

Soccer - never watch it, , infact try to avoid it.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Feb 27th 2005 at 7:44 pm.

Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bordy
When you mention it?????

You never stop mentioning it.

Yes I think you're right there with me on this one. Lathlain - please can you point me at any post you have ever made (and there must have been hundreds) in which you didn't blab on about rugby league, however unrelated to the point in question.

At no stage am I going to dispute that I'm an idiot. Thats fair comment, but at least I'm an idiot who can be idiotic on a wide range of subjects.

for your info - I do like league, and I'll be watching more of it than you could shake a stick at this season. I usually see 1 game every week live at Leichhardt,SFS,Kogorah or Caltex.

I'll also be going to the odd AFL game - I'd like to get to see a bit more of that live, but we've only got the 1 team.

Super 12 leaves me a bit cold. Waratahs don't really generate an atmosphere.

Looking forward to seeing how the A-league goes later in the year too.

It is actually possible to give other sports a fair go.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:10 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

PAH! shame on you, if you played it then you know theres lots of rules, why have all the bloody refs if there are no rules??

Blood rule
holding rule
no tackles from above shoulder rule (ok has more technical name)
What happens when you get a mark?? rules there
etc etc etc etc

The most and most well understood rule however is the bloody offside rule, how good is that?!?!

As for it being boring, a nil nil draw after 90 mins??? hello?? is that not exceedingly boring

I'm with badge i try to avoid soccer like the plauge, the hooligan mentality makes my skin crawl. A pommy mate came with me last week and she was totally amazed at the fact that all the supporters sit together. To me its the norm and some banter between the two side is all part of the fun of the match, i was confused at her amazement. But then shes a soccer fan

PS Kala, welcome .............
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:20 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Go the new Eagles fan (I'm a lions gal myself!)

I saw my first live game in 2001, and it takes on a much more interesting/easier to understand/exciting role when you watch a game live. See if you can't get yourself down there one weekend There's so much going on away from the ball, you just don't see it on the tv.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.