Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus. third world health service

Aus. third world health service

Old Feb 27th 2003, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Aus. third world health service

For all of you who are constantly moaning about the NHS, I would just like to let you know of my experiences with the australian Health Service.

Was told to arrive at Brisbane hospital at 0700 hours this morning for operation. Told to fast from midnight, as general anaesthetic would be used.

Did as I was told on both counts (actually arrive 0645 a.m. having got entire family up at 5.30 a.m.)

Having arrived on ward at 07.05 a.m. (after lengthy admission procedure involving the filling in of no less than 4 forms by incompetent and totally ignorant clerk on desk), and changed into my theatre gown, complete with disposable "hat" disposable "socks" and, the indignity of it, disposable "pants", waited until 4.00 pm. then questioned whether they had forgotten about me.

Apparently they`d "lost" the anaesatist. Waited another 2 hours, questioned whether they`d found him - yes, but they`d "lost" the surgeon. Waited another hour and a half, only to be told "Well you picked a day when it was raining, so we are so busy dealing with all the RTA`s caused by the crazy drivers who don`t know how to drive in the rain that you`ll be put back a bit", waited another 2 hours, to be told "we`re closing the ward in 2 hours, so probably best if you ring home and get someone to pick you up now".

The Australian`s can`t organise a piss up in a bloody bottle shop, let alone a surgical procedure in a hospital...
Old Feb 27th 2003, 11:49 am
pankala

Default Re: Aus. third world health service

Originally posted by pommiesheila
For all of you who are constantly moaning about the NHS, I would just like to let you know of my experiences with the australian Health Service.

Was told to arrive at Brisbane hospital at 0700 hours this morning for operation. Told to fast from midnight, as general anaesthetic would be used.

Did as I was told on both counts (actually arrive 0645 a.m. having got entire family up at 5.30 a.m.)

Having arrived on ward at 07.05 a.m. (after lengthy admission procedure involving the filling in of no less than 4 forms by incompetent and totally ignorant clerk on desk), and changed into my theatre gown, complete with disposable "hat" disposable "socks" and, the indignity of it, disposable "pants", waited until 4.00 pm. then questioned whether they had forgotten about me.

Apparently they`d "lost" the anaesatist. Waited another 2 hours, questioned whether they`d found him - yes, but they`d "lost" the surgeon. Waited another hour and a half, only to be told "Well you picked a day when it was raining, so we are so busy dealing with all the RTA`s caused by the crazy drivers who don`t know how to drive in the rain that you`ll be put back a bit", waited another 2 hours, to be told "we`re closing the ward in 2 hours, so probably best if you ring home and get someone to pick you up now".

The Australian`s can`t organise a piss up in a bloody bottle shop, let alone a surgical procedure in a hospital...
Sounds pretty hopeless. Hope your surgery was not urgent.

Was it a public or private hospital? What health insurance did you have? Serious message for others.

Aussies are frequently highly impatient drivers, too fast too close. I keep off the roads when its wet, the suicidal seen to come out. All sorts of nasty mayhem and horrible accidents.

Old Feb 27th 2003, 12:46 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Aussies are frequently highly impatient drivers, too fast too close. I keep off the roads when its wet, the suicidal seen to come out. All sorts of nasty mayhem and horrible accidents. [/QUOTE]

#
Driving in Campbelltown with a passenger(australian polie inspector relative) Pulled up behind two cars at a red traffic light. "Blasted traffic jams - i'm fed up with this in the rush hour!!"

I sent him a video click of a news item in England about the North Circular road in our rush hour - no further moaning at the next visit.:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Feb 27th 2003, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a right rough experience.

Same here in th eUK though, my wife manages patient complaints and litigation for a major hospital trust.

She tells me compo claims are showing a huge increase and second on the list is operating delays.

Hop you're OK now.

Nick
Old Feb 27th 2003, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

lace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant futurelace has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pommiesheila

i think its just as bad here in the uk
my dad (god rest him)
who at his later stage of cancer,
and was very weak and frail
was told to be in hospital at 9am for
his weekend doze of chemo
he was told to sit in waiting room till they had a bed
i went to visit him at 7pm that night
and yes u guessed it
he was still in sitting room on a WOODEN chair

hows that for the caring profession
Old Feb 27th 2003, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pankala
Sounds pretty hopeless. Hope your surgery was not urgent.

Was it a public or private hospital? What health insurance did you have? Serious message for others.

Aussies are frequently highly impatient drivers, too fast too close. I keep off the roads when its wet, the suicidal seen to come out. All sorts of nasty mayhem and horrible accidents.
It was a public hospital which also treated private patients (guess what, the private patients all got their ops done first - I kid you not).

No, I don`t have private health insurance. Can`t afford it at present.

And yes, the Aussies drive like maniacs at the best of times, and in wet weather, I try to stay off the roads as much as possible too

And fourthly, If I don`t get my broken bone fixed in the next few days, it will mean a much bigger operation....
Old Feb 27th 2003, 9:01 pm
pankala

It was a public hospital which also treated private patients (guess what, the private patients all got their ops done first - I kid you not).

And yes, the Aussies drive like maniacs at the best of times, and in wet weather, I try to stay off the roads as much as possible too

And fourthly, If I don`t get my broken bone fixed in the next few days, it will mean a much bigger operation....
I had a BIG op some years back, week in private hospital, months recuperating.

I paid cash ($5K), straight in. Got back some on a tax rebate. Only keep minimum mandated health insurance.

I suggest you contemplate talking to your doctor about going to a private hospital, scraping together the dough, and pay cash as soon as you can.

The public health system is definitely third world. I would not gamble my health on it.

Old Feb 28th 2003, 12:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Don't tell me it was the Mater hospital - if it is, I pity you.

I spent 4 weeks in there, two op's and one skin graft on my leg. The nurses were nice but the doctors - well arrogance, they were very under staffed.

My operations could have been avoided if these so called doctors here in Aus had recognised Necrosis (they should have - any GP worth his salt should). I went to the hospital near Manly three times , and also saw three private Gp's before being admitted to the Mater - all paid for out of my own pocket (except the Mater)- none would listen to me, all said just rest the leg, I had to be carried into the last doctor - couldn't walk, it was that painful - rushed into the Mater because the necrosis had gone deep into the tissues/muscle - if it had gone any further, (into the bone), it would have meant amputation. All this could have been avoided if any one of the doctors had listened to me, and spotted something which even a Med student should know. spent nearly a year learning to walk without a limp, and I have lost feeling in the area of the operations , I had to have the infected tissue and fat cut out- (twice - first time didn't work) leaving a huge gaping like hole and still get pain in my ankle - nerve damage further down the limb.

Anyway, if I was you - start shouting, kick up, don't let them make you wait if it means complicating the injury further. Why I'm saying this is because the last doctor I saw - the one who rushed me into hospital couldn't believe the way I had been treated by the other GP's - he told me I should have shouted and screamed until they listened to me. My injury became worse because I was not admitted to hospital when I should have been - it was four weeks later which by then the necrosis had spread gone deeper into the limb - any further , amputation! makes me angry.

I don't know who is telling you to wait - the hospital, or your GP - if it's the hospital go back to your GP and kick up a fuss to him/her , he/she may be able to do something about the wait - if no joy - find another GP. This is what I had to do, I saw two doctors in one hospital three times, and then three Gp's until I was finally heard.

Trouble is I think, if you're too polite/nice you get nowhere with some people - make a fuss, I was told this by my last GP , that I should have "shouted and screamed" made a fuss until I got heard. I don't think it's on being made to wait if it could complicate your injury further.

Good luck
Old Feb 28th 2003, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Ceri
Don't tell me it was the Mater hospital - if it is, I pity you.

I spent 4 weeks in there, two op's and one skin graft on my leg. The nurses were nice but the doctors - well arrogance, they were very under staffed.

My operations could have been avoided if these so called doctors here in Aus had recognised Necrosis (they should have - any GP worth his salt should). I went to the hospital near Manly three times , and also saw three private Gp's before being admitted to the Mater - all paid for out of my own pocket (except the Mater)- none would listen to me, all said just rest the leg, I had to be carried into the last doctor - couldn't walk, it was that painful - rushed into the Mater because the necrosis had gone deep into the tissues/muscle - if it had gone any further, (into the bone), it would have meant amputation. All this could have been avoided if any one of the doctors had listened to me, and spotted something which even a Med student should know. spent nearly a year learning to walk without a limp, and I have lost feeling in the area of the operations , I had to have the infected tissue and fat cut out- (twice - first time didn't work) leaving a huge gaping like hole and still get pain in my ankle - nerve damage further down the limb.

Anyway, if I was you - start shouting, kick up, don't let them make you wait if it means complicating the injury further. Why I'm saying this is because the last doctor I saw - the one who rushed me into hospital couldn't believe the way I had been treated by the other GP's - he told me I should have shouted and screamed until they listened to me. My injury became worse because I was not admitted to hospital when I should have been - it was four weeks later which by then the necrosis had spread gone deeper into the limb - any further , amputation! makes me angry.

I don't know who is telling you to wait - the hospital, or your GP - if it's the hospital go back to your GP and kick up a fuss to him/her , he/she may be able to do something about the wait - if no joy - find another GP. This is what I had to do, I saw two doctors in one hospital three times, and then three Gp's until I was finally heard.

Trouble is I think, if you're too polite/nice you get nowhere with some people - make a fuss, I was told this by my last GP , that I should have "shouted and screamed" made a fuss until I got heard. I don't think it's on being made to wait if it could complicate your injury further.

Good luck
No it wasn`t the Mater, it was the Princess Alexandra - very impressive building - the water feature was splendid - pity they can`t staff it adequately though...

Trouble started when I went to the Redlands Hospital A&E after my 10 year old broke my nose rather spectacularly (albeit accidentally!). Redlands A&E doc. ex-ray`d it, and said he`d fax down an urgent request for surgery to the PA. Said I should hear in the next couple of days, as if it is left longer than a week the bones start to fuse together in the wrong place (might seem like a small issue, and definitely not life-threatening, but I don`t particularly want to walk around for the rest of my life with a nose shaped like a bloody boomerang!).

Anyway, to cut a long and boring story short, I heard nothing for a week. Phoned the PA, and eventually (after several hours of phone calls to various departments) spoke to a nurse who checked and said the fax had been "filed away". Huh...

So, here I am, old boomerang nose!

Have today phoned PA to request another appointment for OP, only to be told "I suggest you ring again next week and talk to Bookings Dept. They MIGHT know what to do" Not very confidence inspiring is it???
Old Feb 28th 2003, 9:09 am
pankala

Trouble started when I went to the Redlands Hospital A&E after my 10 year old broke my nose rather spectacularly (albeit accidentally!).
Thank the quantum fluctuation! We thought you had bone cancer or a brain tumour.

Old Mar 1st 2003, 1:14 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

but I don`t particularly want to walk around for the rest of my life with a nose shaped like a bloody boomerang!).

Anyway, to cut a long and boring story short, I heard nothing for a week. Phoned the PA, and eventually (after several hours of phone calls to various departments) spoke to a nurse who checked and said the fax had been "filed away". Huh...

Cheer up - all is not lost, remember Gonzo (from the muppets, the one with the bent nose) he was very lovable!

Although probably not funny to you having a nose shaped like a boomerang- thanks for the chuckle
Old Mar 1st 2003, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

No it wasn`t the Mater, it was the Princess Alexandra - very impressive building - the water feature was splendid - pity they can`t staff it adequately though...

Trouble started when I went to the Redlands Hospital A&E after my 10 year old broke my nose rather spectacularly (albeit accidentally!). Redlands A&E doc. ex-ray`d it, and said he`d fax down an urgent request for surgery to the PA. Said I should hear in the next couple of days, as if it is left longer than a week the bones start to fuse together in the wrong place (might seem like a small issue, and definitely not life-threatening, but I don`t particularly want to walk around for the rest of my life with a nose shaped like a bloody boomerang!).

Have today phoned PA to request another appointment for OP, only to be told "I suggest you ring again next week and talk to Bookings Dept. They MIGHT know what to do" Not very confidence inspiring is it???

T hat was cute,
This is one scary country people are going to, what with 40 degree weather , fires buning out of control, Big Bug's, Big Spiders, Big Mossies, Sub Standerd Building, and how about those hospitals !!!!!!!!!.
:scared: :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 1st 2003, 5:38 am
2thick

Originally posted by jeannie
T hat was cute,
This is one scary country people are going to, what with 40 degree weather , fires buning out of control, Big Bug's, Big Spiders, Big Mossies, Sub Standerd Building, and how about those hospitals !!!!!!!!!.
:scared: :scared: :scared:
For those who have been personally affected, my sympathy which I am aware will in no way mitigate your understandable anger and/or distress. However the same thing happens here (UK) and elsewhere in Europe/US particularly when you are dependant upon the public sector (which shouldn't be the case).

Our large 'reputable' Trust has recently employed 2 Consultant Pathologists on lucrative short term contracts (one Australian, one South African) who were flown out especially to help sort out the mess and catch up on a 5 MONTH backlog of cervical cancer screenings. These all relate to women who have already had a 'scare' so imagine how they feel about an (unforgiveable) delay of this duration - this normally should a few days at max for the patients to get results which, in any event, can be extremely distressing.

The real issue is that there are problems everywhere and until healthcare gets the priority that it deserves I am not overly optimistic that much is going to change anywhere.

Old Mar 1st 2003, 7:24 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Ceri
Cheer up - all is not lost, remember Gonzo (from the muppets, the one with the bent nose) he was very lovable!

Although probably not funny to you having a nose shaped like a boomerang- thanks for the chuckle

Hi Ceri You've never heard of sub-standard slums in UK Most of the buildings partoicularly the more modern ones in australia are well built rellies live in a 150 year old farm house which - although added on and strange in layout is very sturdy
Old Mar 1st 2003, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by yafm
Hi Ceri You've never heard of sub-standard slums in UK Most of the buildings partoicularly the more modern ones in australia are well built rellies live in a 150 year old farm house which - although added on and strange in layout is very sturdy
Firstly, what on earth has this reply got to do with the Health Service?

Secondly, if you think Aus houses are well built, well you are certainly living in a dream world - from one who has seen them first hand...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.