Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus Tax advice needed wrt sale of UK property

Aus Tax advice needed wrt sale of UK property

Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:30 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus Tax advice needed wrt sale of UK property

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Remember also that the UK now (since 6th April 2015) has a CGT charge on non-UK resident individuals selling UK located residential real estate
Interesting. So someone leaving the UK is better off selling before the move or is there a certain timeframe within which you can sell from abroad without CGT?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as an accountant who is qualified in the UK and Australia (maybe the same one as has been approached by the OP) I'd exercise caution if talking to an Aus tax accountant who charges $120 for a tax return.

I have spoken to many individuals who have previously (before approaching us) instructed low cost accountants who are simply not across the issues of visa status, exempt periods for CGT purposes, and the forex aspects relating to a redeemed mortgage following the sale of a property.

Remember also that the UK now (since 6th April 2015) has a CGT charge on non-UK resident individuals selling UK located residential real estate => there is an online tax return to be lodged with HMRC too.

Best regards.
I haven't suggested they should use a $120 Australian accountant, I agree they should use a decent one due to the complexity. OP said this was a November 2014 sale and that she has dealt with the UK side of things.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:42 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I haven't suggested they should use a $120 Australian accountant, I agree they should use a decent one due to the complexity. OP said this was a November 2014 sale and that she has dealt with the UK side of things.

Noted, and agreed re the Nov 2014 disposal/UK aspects.

The OP was a temporary visaholder when first becoming a tax resident of Australia, which changes the reference point from which Aus CGT is computed.

There may then be exempt periods of ownership to apply to the capital gain (and forex aspects) computed for inclusion on the Australian CGT return.

Definitely not a $120 job - IMHO. Maybe there's a "1" missing in front of this? :-)

Best regards.
Old Jan 11th 2016, 1:43 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Interesting. So someone leaving the UK is better off selling before the move or is there a certain timeframe within which you can sell from abroad without CGT?

Depends on circumstances - each case should be looked at on its own merits.

Best regards.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:40 am
Into the wild

FavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enoughFavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enough

Noted, and agreed re the Nov 2014 disposal/UK aspects.

The OP was a temporary visaholder when first becoming a tax resident of Australia, which changes the reference point from which Aus CGT is computed.

There may then be exempt periods of ownership to apply to the capital gain (and forex aspects) computed for inclusion on the Australian CGT return.

Definitely not a $120 job - IMHO. Maybe there's a "1" missing in front of this? :-)

Best regards.
You have hit the nail on the head, when I spoke to the $120 accountant he didn't seem to be aware of when the GST should be computed from, i.e. either when I first arrived in Aus on a 457 visa in Sept 2011 or when I became PR in July 2013. Wether the $420 accountant seem to be clear about that point. That to me was an indication that there might have been other factors that should have been taken into account for the purpose of the tax calculation. Your average Aus accountant, no disrespect, might not necessarily be aware of these factors.

Alan, any chance you could advise me someone who could contact to process my Aus tax return? That would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:07 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by FavouriteFlavia
You have hit the nail on the head, when I spoke to the $120 accountant he didn't seem to be aware of when the GST should be computed from, i.e. either when I first arrived in Aus on a 457 visa in Sept 2011 or when I became PR in July 2013. Wether the $420 accountant seem to be clear about that point. That to me was an indication that there might have been other factors that should have been taken into account for the purpose of the tax calculation. Your average Aus accountant, no disrespect, might not necessarily be aware of these factors.

Alan, any chance you could advise me someone who could contact to process my Aus tax return? That would be much appreciated.

Yes, we'll be delighted to help!

Please complete the enquiry form at this page, or send a PM/email to me with your name and phone number.

Tax Returns in Australia and the UK | GM Tax | Tax Planning Advice in Australia and the UK

Best regards.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 1:37 am
Into the wild

FavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enoughFavouriteFlavia will become famous soon enough

Yes, we'll be delighted to help!

Please complete the enquiry form at this page, or send a PM/email to me with your name and phone number.

Tax Returns in Australia and the UK | GM Tax | Tax Planning Advice in Australia and the UK

Best regards.
Than you for the link Alan, I have already been in touch with one of your colleagues at GM Tax. I guess I will have to proceed with her.

You have cleared my doubts though.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 6:54 am
Into the wild

That's intersting. Could you send me your contact details please? TIA
Old Jan 18th 2016, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveps
Hi,

if you need any help with UK mortgage, let me know. We have access to 25 UK lenders for expats, even if in Australia.
Yeah that would be at complete odds to my endless research. Unless of course I was about to put down 50% and be on a salary 1x mortgage. Anyone who fits that bill would unlikely need a mortgage.

If you are actually serious pop down your contact details. I will be in touch.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
the tax won't exceed the profit.
I have seen to the contrary, with HMRS applying penalties, but they are of course penalties, not saying in this case.
Old Jan 23rd 2016, 4:01 am
Into the wild

Originally Posted by Stephen
I have seen to the contrary, with HMRS applying penalties, but they are of course penalties, not saying in this case.
That's right. I've receive a late submission penalty for the pervious tax year which sadly exceeded profits. I'm trying to appeal against it. But that's a different story.