Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus swimming pool fence regulations

Aus swimming pool fence regulations

Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:24 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Aus swimming pool fence regulations

Producing Id at post offices came in just a few years ago ( just before Christmas one year) for international parcels - It was for terrorism reasons. It was around the time of the Anthrax scare in the US.Initially it was supposed to be just for the Christmas period, and just for international parcels ( You don't have to produce ID if you're sending mail to a destination within Aus) .They have carried on with this ID producing .. anyway it was for terrorism reasons initially due to the Anthrax scare. A driving licence or an over 18 card is what most people use for ID to send parcels. If you're just posting photos or other paper matter , you can actually buy pre-paid postage, large , airmail envelopes ( to fit A4 size) from the PO ( $6) .. so there's no need to produce ID to send paper matter.. you can just shove it in the Post box.

Qld pool fence laws http://www.poolfencing.qld.gov.au/public/content1.html

I actually do agree with the pool safety laws. There have been too many children needlessly drowning in them. And like has been mentioned even if it just saves one life it's worth it.I don't see the big deal in that you must install a fence which meets with the law requirements.You shouldn't have to have laws to tell you that, you should do it anyway for safety reasons, but some people need to be told - hence the laws

If all people did the "right" thing, there would be no need for half of these safety laws.. It's to protect the stupid from themselves and to protect people from the stupid people among society . You have strict health and safety laws in the workplace, but yet some of you want none for a neighbourhood where accidents occur the most from peoples negligence. Accidents will always occur, but half of these accidents can always be avoided through simple safety procedures.

Not having a fence because there is no children in the house wouldn't be viable for obvious reasons.You may not have children, but your neighbours may.. ( or what about your relatives, or friends that may visit with their children) what's to stop a little toddler who is fascinated with your pool running into your garden. Also, you'd have people with children who wouldn't put the fences up.. So you'd have to have random checks to check that you don't have kids. Who is going to police this? This would cost councils, or , and police more money , and wasted time in the long run.

I do think that the voting laws are absolutely ludicrous. How can a vote be democratic if you are forced to vote by law? A non vote sometimes is a vote in itself. Aus is the only so-called democratic Western country which has compulsory voting that I know of. You should have the right to vote or not, and not be forced to vote - that is democracy.

Anyway, no good complaining about something without trying to do a thing about it. If you don't like a certain "stupid" unjust law, try standing up for your beliefs and do something about it to try and change it.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 15th 2004 at 12:45 am.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 5:29 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ceri
Qld pool fence laws http://www.poolfencing.qld.gov.au/public/content1.html

I actually do agree with the pool safety laws. There have been too many children needlessly drowning in them. And like has been mentioned even if it just saves one life it's worth it.I don't see the big deal in that you must install a fence which meets with the law requirements.You shouldn't have to have laws to tell you that, you should do it anyway for safety reasons, but some people need to be told - hence the laws

If all people did the "right" thing, there would be no need for half of these safety laws.. It's to protect the stupid from themselves and to protect people from the stupid people among society . You have strict health and safety laws in the workplace, but yet some of you want none for a neighbourhood where accidents occur the most from peoples negligence. Accidents will always occur, but half of these accidents can always be avoided through simple safety procedures.

Not having a fence because there is no children in the house wouldn't be viable for obvious reasons.You may not have children, but your neighbours may.. ( or what about your relatives, or friends that may visit with their children) what's to stop a little toddler who is fascinated with your pool running into your garden. Also, you'd have people with children who wouldn't put the fences up.. So you'd have to have random checks to check that you don't have kids. Who is going to police this? This would cost councils, or , and police more money , and wasted time in the long run.

cheers
You are very obviously right on this Ceri (and sorry Rog but you are very obviously wrong, mate.) Pools with water cleansing mechanisms make an intriguing and delightful tinkling noise that no toddler could possibly resist. It doesn't take a particularly athletic or 'naughty' toddler to escape from parents' clutches and go find the source of the water noises. And some toddlers (and slightly older kids who can't swim) are always going to end up from time to time standing on the edge of their own or their neighbours' pool...what a terrible danger they might fall or jump in and drown, thank goodness for the swimming pool fence regs, say I.

I hate too much bureaucracy in other ways but not sensible rules to make pools that bit safer for kids.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 7:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm obviously wrong then.

IMO Mary1 shot herself in the foot on this when she said that the regulation was OK if it saved even one life.

Is she prepared to pay say $1m for a car? I am sure that for that sum you could incorporate enough measures to save a life!

On the other hand, you could drive sensibly...

Last edited by Rog Williams; Sep 15th 2004 at 8:43 am. Reason: wrong name
Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:00 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I'm obviously wrong then.

IMO Ceri shot herself in the foot on this when she said that the regulation was OK if it saved even one life.

Is she prepared to pay say $1m for a car? I am sure that for that sum you could incorporate enough measures to save a life!

On the other hand, you could drive sensibly....
I agree with you in some other ways, ie if an economist looked at the cost of saving lives, it's plain stupid to spend so much money on improving the railways (as you said). Far better to (say) put a warning notice on booze packaging, increase awareness of AIDS and STDs, educate people properly about proper diet and exercise, find a better way to stop speeding in residential areas and in front of schools: IMHO those are ways the nanny state has a proper role.

But the beauty of the swimming pool fence regs is that the owner (not the state ie the taxpayer) has to pay; and the danger to life is real but easily avoidable with decent fencing.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mary1
For every child that drowns there are many more near drownings who often are badly brain injured for the rest of their lifes costing the health/social services millions.Personally I can't understand people wanting to criticise Australia calling us a "nanny state" BEFORE they even arrive here.

Even if pool fencing saves one life it is worth it.
Since this is in reply to me, MaryOne, I should say that I have worked and lived in Oz back in the 80s and early 90s, and have gone through perhaps 3 dozen times on business before and since then. I agree that one should not criticise (comment?) without experiencing a place, but I think I have some knowledge - even if it was pre-nanny to some extent! (Although that did exist then, too)
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:42 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice

I was leaving a customers house on an Estate in Port Kennedy earlier in the year,where they put in a trendy lake with fountains to give it "character".Saw the womans 3 year old about 200m from the house playing at the lake side,so went back and told the lady.She said not to worry,cos he knows not to go too near the edge !!
Seems we have to fence our pools in (which I agree with),but land developers can throw in these Mozzy swamps wherever they please with no regards to the safety of kids with or without negligent parents.

BB-