British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Is Aus PR a backdoor to NZ PR? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/aus-pr-backdoor-nz-pr-109351/)

jseni01d Jul 10th 2002 10:02 am

Is Aus PR a backdoor to NZ PR?

I just read an old thread that suggested permanent residence in Australia gives you de facto PR for New Zealand, and looked at the NZIS site, which confirms Australian permanent residents don't need to apply for PR to live and work in NZ, providing they have a Returning Residents Visa. (I understand Australia has tried to close the opposite loophole.)

We are hoping to emigrate to NZ in a year or two, but if the pass mark doesn't come down to previous levels (24-26) I would not have enough points. Finding a full-time job would work, but would mean giving up my freelance translation business, somewhat defeating the point of going.

A quick glance at the Australian immigration site suggests I'm more likely to pass there than for NZ, so my question is: Is this a viable way of sneaking in the backdoor to NZ? Has anyone done this? Would there be any practical downsides (difficulties enrolling kids in school, buying property in NZ etc.)? Would Australian PR expire after a certain time in NZ, leaving us in limbo?

John

Jaj Jul 10th 2002 2:20 pm

Re: Is Aus PR a backdoor to NZ PR?

It's generally better to become an Australian citizen (after 2 years). Then you can
live in NZ for as long as you like, if you still want to spend time there afterwards
while retaining the option to go back to Australia whenever you like. You could even
get NZ citizenship, if you want to build up a passport collection :)

You don't say what country you're from, but if it's the UK acquiring Australian
citizenship will not cause loss of British citizenship.

I'm a bit curious about what attracts you to NZ rather than Australia. Most people
asking this type of question want to know if NZ residence can be used as a back door
to Australia.

Jeremy

>On 10 Jul 2002 13:20:23 GMT, jseni01d <[email protected]> wrote: I just read
    >an old thread that suggested permanent residence in Australia gives you de facto PR
    >for New Zealand, and looked at the NZIS site, which confirms Australian permanent
    >residents don't need to apply for PR to live and work in NZ, providing they have a
    >Returning Residents Visa. (I understand Australia has tried to close the opposite
    >loophole.)
    >
    >We are hoping to emigrate to NZ in a year or two, but if the pass mark doesn't come
    >down to previous levels (24-26) I would not have enough points. Finding a full-time
    >job would work, but would mean giving up my freelance translation business, somewhat
    >defeating the point of going.
    >
    >A quick glance at the Australian immigration site suggests I'm more likely to pass
    >there than for NZ, so my question is: Is this a viable way of sneaking in the
    >backdoor to NZ? Has anyone done this? Would there be any practical downsides
    >(difficulties enrolling kids in school, buying property in NZ etc.)? Would
    >Australian PR expire after a certain time in NZ, leaving us in limbo?
    >
    >John
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

jseni01d Jul 10th 2002 4:36 pm

I'm a bit curious about what attracts you to NZ rather than Australia. Most people
asking this type of question want to know if NZ residence can be used as a back door to Australia.
I guess that's why the Ozzies closed the loophole but the Kiwis haven't bothered yet.

The simple reason for NZ over Oz is that we've been there and absolutely loved it. Others include my intolerance for really hot weather, a mutual dislike of creepy crawlies, and NZ having just about the only social democratic government left on earth. But you never know, if we tried the backdoor route to NZ, we might end up liking Oz so much that we never make it across the Tasman.

John

newstartnz Jul 10th 2002 6:24 pm

I wouldn't see it as a 'backdoor', more a diplomatically negotiated right or privilege. I'd compare it to what we see in the 15 nations of the EU, whose citizens can completely freely live and work in any member nation. Not that too many EU citizens take up this right.

Long term hope (not too pie in the sky, I feel): many, many more nations joining an international community that gives its citizens the freedom to live and work wherever...!

All the best

Jaj Jul 10th 2002 10:20 pm

If you come to Australia, you should probably be considering Melbourne, Canberra or
Hobart if you want a cooler climate.

As for whether you like the government or not, it's not generally wise to select a
country on this basis, for the simple reason that governments do change over time.

Jeremy

>On 10 Jul 2002 17:20:33 GMT, jseni01d <[email protected]> wrote: wrote:
    > > I'm a bit curious about what attracts you to NZ rather than Australia. Most
    > > people asking this type of question want to know if NZ residence can be used as
    > > a back door to Australia.
    >
    >
    >
    >I guess that's why the Ozzies closed the loophole but the Kiwis haven't
    >bothered yet.
    >
    >The simple reason for NZ over Oz is that we've been there and absolutely loved it.
    >Others include my intolerance for really hot weather, a mutual dislike of creepy
    >crawlies, and NZ having just about the only social democratic government left on
    >earth. But you never know, if we tried the backdoor route to NZ, we might end up
    >liking Oz so much that we never make it across the Tasman.
    >
    >John
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com