Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus is not pants?

Aus is not pants?

Old May 17th 2004, 12:08 pm
kong

Default Aus is not pants?

Leaving the crime/drug ridden society that is the UK, to the utopia that is Australia???

Redfern's $50m heroin turnover
By Megan Saunders
17may04

THE Block in the inner Sydney suburb of Redfern is now the largest illicit drug market in Australia, with turnover from heroin as high as $50 million a year, according to a submission to a NSW government inquiry into the area's problems.

The inquiry, which begins open hearings tomorrow, was triggered by bloody clashes in February between Aboriginal residents and police after an Aboriginal teenager died when he fell off his bike and was impaled on a fence.
Police have denied they were chasing him at the time.

A senior police officer with the Redfern area command, Sergeant Paul Huxtable, in a submission obtained by The Australian, says drug use is so much the norm on The Block that six-year-old children mill around the needle exchange bus as it daily dispenses clean syringes by the hundreds.

Women are reportedly trading sex for heroin and drug users make little effort to shoot up in private, often choosing the children's playground instead.

"One cannot walk the length of The Block without having to hurdle nests of syringes, the 'sharps' containers are always full to overflowing," Sergeant Huxtable writes in his submission to the Standing Committee on Social Issues.

One eight-year-old child had committed 31 criminal offences including sexual assault, he said.

Sergeant Huxtable said more than 1 million syringes were handed out in The Block under a government-funded needle exchange program in 2001.

At the current price for heroin of $50 per street deal, "if the current syringe handout is consistent with 2001, we have an annual turnover of over $50 million tax free", he said.

"I acknowledge these figures are coarse, however nobody can argue that there is not an enormous amount of heroin being moved through The Block pulling in enormous amounts of money," Sergeant Huxtable said.

He said The Block's problems had "little to do with race and everything to do with pure old-fashioned human greed. It is about the protection of a lucrative heroin trade".

"There needs to be recognition that the crime problems at The Block are far greater than any racial problems.

"The real enemy of the young Aboriginal people are not the police but their Aboriginal kin who peddle heroin and by doing so commit them to a life of unemployment, poverty, misery and crime."

In another submission to the inquiry, the Aboriginal Housing Company demands the removal of a government-funded needle exchange bus because hundreds of clean syringes were being passed on to dealers who sold drug "package deals".

AHC chief executive Michael Mundine also claimed children as young as six were sitting "in or around" the bus which operated in front of a children's playground.

Users were taking plastic bags filled with hundreds of needles, which ended up in the hands of drug dealers.

"The needle bus has been like a honey pot for drug addicts and dealers from all over Sydney looking for an area where drugs are tolerated," said Mr Mundine, the uncle of boxer Anthony Mundine and cousin of national Labor president-elect Warren Mundine.

privacy © Advertiser Newspapers Pty Limited

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...55E421,00.html

Old May 17th 2004, 12:12 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Aus is not pants?

Yes and that is one suburb in a large city. There is always one crap suburb in a large city ANYWHERE in the world.

Originally posted by kong
Leaving the crime/drug ridden society that is the UK, to the utopia that is Australia???

Redfern's $50m heroin turnover
By Megan Saunders
17may04

THE Block in the inner Sydney suburb of Redfern is now the largest illicit drug market in Australia, with turnover from heroin as high as $50 million a year, according to a submission to a NSW government inquiry into the area's problems.

The inquiry, which begins open hearings tomorrow, was triggered by bloody clashes in February between Aboriginal residents and police after an Aboriginal teenager died when he fell off his bike and was impaled on a fence.
Police have denied they were chasing him at the time.

A senior police officer with the Redfern area command, Sergeant Paul Huxtable, in a submission obtained by The Australian, says drug use is so much the norm on The Block that six-year-old children mill around the needle exchange bus as it daily dispenses clean syringes by the hundreds.

Women are reportedly trading sex for heroin and drug users make little effort to shoot up in private, often choosing the children's playground instead.

"One cannot walk the length of The Block without having to hurdle nests of syringes, the 'sharps' containers are always full to overflowing," Sergeant Huxtable writes in his submission to the Standing Committee on Social Issues.

One eight-year-old child had committed 31 criminal offences including sexual assault, he said.

Sergeant Huxtable said more than 1 million syringes were handed out in The Block under a government-funded needle exchange program in 2001.

At the current price for heroin of $50 per street deal, "if the current syringe handout is consistent with 2001, we have an annual turnover of over $50 million tax free", he said.

"I acknowledge these figures are coarse, however nobody can argue that there is not an enormous amount of heroin being moved through The Block pulling in enormous amounts of money," Sergeant Huxtable said.

He said The Block's problems had "little to do with race and everything to do with pure old-fashioned human greed. It is about the protection of a lucrative heroin trade".

"There needs to be recognition that the crime problems at The Block are far greater than any racial problems.

"The real enemy of the young Aboriginal people are not the police but their Aboriginal kin who peddle heroin and by doing so commit them to a life of unemployment, poverty, misery and crime."

In another submission to the inquiry, the Aboriginal Housing Company demands the removal of a government-funded needle exchange bus because hundreds of clean syringes were being passed on to dealers who sold drug "package deals".

AHC chief executive Michael Mundine also claimed children as young as six were sitting "in or around" the bus which operated in front of a children's playground.

Users were taking plastic bags filled with hundreds of needles, which ended up in the hands of drug dealers.

"The needle bus has been like a honey pot for drug addicts and dealers from all over Sydney looking for an area where drugs are tolerated," said Mr Mundine, the uncle of boxer Anthony Mundine and cousin of national Labor president-elect Warren Mundine.

privacy © Advertiser Newspapers Pty Limited

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...55E421,00.html
Old May 17th 2004, 12:16 pm
kong

Originally posted by cherry6
Yes and that is one suburb in a large city. There is always one crap suburb in a large city ANYWHERE in the world.
Tell that to the likes of plumber then who slate the UK on the basis of their shithole welsh town. This site is full of people from crap towns and cities of Britain who judge the country as a whole on their deprived surroundings.

Old May 17th 2004, 12:28 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by kong
Tell that to the likes of plumber then who slate the UK on the basis of their shithole welsh town. This site is full of people from crap towns and cities of Britain who judge the country as a whole on their deprived surroundings.

I have to agree with this. Of all the people I know who talk about how bad the Uk is, the majority come from really bad areas. maybe they should have moved to a different town rather than base their opinions on the UK from where they lived?
Old May 17th 2004, 12:30 pm
Location.. in my office

cadabra is an unknown quantity at this point

And the same applies in reverse.

The truth is, there will always be "know it all" personalities who profess to speak on behalf of a whole nation or city, based solely on their life and how it has or has not been successful.

I despair when poeple come on here and announce how good/bad/nice or nasty a place is regardless of which continent they are on.

Australia is a first world country the same as UK or America. If you have an ounce of intelligence, you will work it out for yourself that all cities and towns in the western world will have similar social problems.
It is very tedious and boring to keep on highlighting these problems as somehow peculiar one any one place...they are NOT!!

I think most peoples prefences in moving anywhere is to improve their life and the area in which they choose to live. If you choose to go live in an area known to be full of problems dont be surprised when you find them, wherever that may be.
Old May 17th 2004, 12:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by janeyray
I have to agree with this. Of all the people I know who talk about how bad the Uk is, the majority come from really bad areas. maybe they should have moved to a different town rather than base their opinions on the UK from where they lived?
Sometimes people just decide to have a complete change when the opportunity arises.

For example: I didn't like Sydney, and went back to the UK, but I ended up in Brisbane, much happier.

Similar to you; you didn't like one part of Australia and moved to another, and then back to UK ?

We all try things in our own different ways.

Why should anyone have to stay in one country, just because others think its best for them ?

The problem with posts like these, is that it creates antagonistic reactions, which is what the original poster is actually wanting to do, rather than genuine HELPFULL comments.

Old May 17th 2004, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Like in any large city one can choose to avoid the 'Redfern' bits:

OzTennis
Attached Thumbnails Aus is not pants?-fireworks-sydney-harbour.jpg  
Old May 17th 2004, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hang on, that's when England won that bl***y competition!

OzTennis
Old May 17th 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by OzTennis
Hang on, that's when England won that bl***y competition!

OzTennis
Which bl***y competition is that then, OzT? Go on, I just want to see you say it!
Old May 17th 2004, 7:15 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cadabra
I despair when poeple come on here and announce how good/bad/nice or nasty a place is regardless of which continent they are on.
Ditto
Old May 17th 2004, 7:35 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

You got me all wrong people, when the uk gets a slating i'm one of the first to stand up for it and have said many times proud to be English!!!!

I also would like to put it on record that i do not live in a shit hole called wales. I live in a very nice part of midwales with some of the best countryside in the uk, but facts are facts and can't deny that there are lots of druggies and social miss fits around which make life for others a misery.

plum

PS Just because i want to start a new life for me and family , dosen't mean i have to hate the uk......

Last edited by plumber; May 17th 2004 at 9:58 pm.
Old May 17th 2004, 7:44 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by plumber
You got me all wrong people,
Plum, when I read that post I thought "really?" so I did a search and couldn't find a single really negative comment from you. Mistaken identity I would say.
Old May 17th 2004, 7:51 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

I've calmed down now............the glass is half full again!!!!

"RULE BRITANIA......BRITANIA RULES THE WAVES"

All the best PATRIOTIC Plum......filling up!!!!

Last edited by plumber; May 17th 2004 at 7:55 pm.
Old May 17th 2004, 11:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Heroin is the Sympton, not the cause. The Block would have severe issues without smack. Inner city deprivation causes heroin abuse, not vice versa. The block is just a block in Inner Sydney's worst suburb however there has been plenty of gentrification in recent times.

Wish I had the cure as every city in Australia has an equivalent block where Aborigines live is sqalor and without hope.
Old May 17th 2004, 11:39 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

And i thought the block was that home reno programme that i watch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.