Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Old Mar 11th 2012, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Aus not better than London for IT - debunked

Well I earn 250 a year in Brisbane and I know it is above the norm but those salaries the OP has posted are ridiculous. IT is such a broad term, what blend of IT are you talking about?
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

nandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Well I earn 250 a year in Brisbane and I know it is above the norm but those salaries the OP has posted are ridiculous. IT is such a broad term, what blend of IT are you talking about?
when i narrowed it to software dev it was

Sydney median(£*1000) dev wage 59,46895859
Melbourne median(£*1000) dev wage 55,51625201
Perth median(£*1000) dev wage 51,73688101
Brisbane median(£*1000) dev wage 52,28339735
London median(£*1000) dev wage 36
Old Mar 11th 2012, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

alexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nicealexswift is just really nice

[QUOTE=nandnor;9947181]when i narrowed it to software dev it was

Poor Software Dev's (not a pun) but the arse has fallen out of that because Software Dev can be done from anywhere in the world. Lots of devs we employ work from home in wagga-wagga, gold coast, Perth etc and we check in with them once a quarter.

I will go out on a limb here and say... Option 1 do the working from the beach Software Dev life and get paid as such or Option 2 be customer facing, support the sales process and add value to the organisation and get paid more. About the same as any organisation but my point is its all relative to what the person wants and need from work.

I recommend watching this it will hopefully give a greater perspective on work and wages http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc
Old Mar 12th 2012, 6:45 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk about stating the fing obvious. Since when have forums been a place of statistical significance? Even devs there are so many sub fields that lumping then into one basket is meaningless.
Originally Posted by nandnor
Anecdotal evidence here. Just saying. Statistics is more powerful IMO.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

nandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura aboutnandnor has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by IvanM
Talk about stating the fing obvious. Since when have forums been a place of statistical significance? Even devs there are so many sub fields that lumping then into one basket is meaningless.
you could argue that the distribution of the subfields and classifications is similar in both countries, in which case the statistics make sense.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

when i narrowed it to software dev it was

Sydney median(£*1000) dev wage 59,46895859
Melbourne median(£*1000) dev wage 55,51625201
Perth median(£*1000) dev wage 51,73688101
Brisbane median(£*1000) dev wage 52,28339735
London median(£*1000) dev wage 36
Look those of us that have been there and done that know you ate talking crap. Even the recruitment agents that try to get me to move back don't try to compete on salary comparing London to Sydney. They usually go for lifestyle which is bollocks as well given Sydney's silly cost of living. Here is my advice. Stop making yourself look stupid and let the thread die.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by isgraham
Look those of us that have been there and done that know you ate talking crap. Even the recruitment agents that try to get me to move back don't try to compete on salary comparing London to Sydney. They usually go for lifestyle which is bollocks as well given Sydney's silly cost of living. Here is my advice. Stop making yourself look stupid and let the thread die.
Agreed whilst smoking a dooby in Brisbane lol
Old Mar 14th 2012, 4:24 am

But of no use.
you could argue that the distribution of the subfields and classifications is similar in both countries, in which case the statistics make sense.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

You could argue that, you could also argue that the moon was made of cheese.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 10:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
It was, in fact it is. Without a shadow of a doubt.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It was, in fact it is. Without a shadow of a doubt.
King Island Brie I reckon, to be precise
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by isgraham
Originally Posted by seanpears99
Agreed whilst smoking a dooby in Brisbane lol

Im not saying im right, but the statistics are what i have seen as an unbiased eastern european interested in emigrating. In fact London would be much more easier a destination to get to for me but the statistics make it seem sort of bleak. Ive not seen statistics that would indicate that London is better.

Perhaps the official average earnings - London was 800£ and Australian capital cities ~920£ per week which might favor london given the cost of living. But aside from that, looking at the employment situation and number of job offers, and salaries offered in the IT field it looks bad.

So what I mean is, im open to preferring london, but i havent found statistics that would support this claim.
Originally Posted by IvanM
But of no use.
Originally Posted by tartankoala
Well whats the difference then? When i look at the Dev offers on both of the big job sites they seem quite similar.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

I cant believe i have been arsed to log back onto this thread.

My missus earns 600 a week answering the phone at warner brothers, I earn a grand a day consulting, there are a million people in between, but, I dont know any IT Devs who earn 920 a week, thats just a stupid ridiculous comparison. We paid a grad 54k a year straight out of uni in a gov position who are notoriously low payers. I dont care where u come from, do some research and dont just throw out bullshit research which bears no relation to real life.

For my input, I emmigrated from the UK after earning 40k in the Midlands as a permie PM, went contracting for 140k and then moved to Aus to earn 150 then moving upto 250k contracting.

Your rates were stupid, especially for over here and I cant believe you have sprooked us all into biting into your post as there is no argument.

Happy for this thread to be closed, I am bored of it now.
Old Mar 15th 2012, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

the 920£ is average earnings of an entire state, not IT in specific. qld, vic, and nsw are all in this ballpark. and they are official numbers of bureau of statistics.
If you dont like my numbers show something else then! im sure the job offer sites are far from perfect so im very interested in what a better site for comparing earnings isl
Old Mar 15th 2012, 8:57 pm

Who said IT people had social skills problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.