Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AUS - Medicare Cards - whole family to attend?

AUS - Medicare Cards - whole family to attend?

Old Jul 7th 2003, 3:07 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default AUS - Medicare Cards - whole family to attend?

Husband went down to sort out medicare cards and was sent away, yes they know we are in the country but cannot issue cards unless we all attend together!!!

I think this is a load of b*%$*@hit - anyone had the same problem. Seeing as the form says if we were in remote area we could apply by post I am at a lost to understand why we all have to attend at the same spot together just because we live near? Without going into detail this would be a real hassle.

I will phone tomorrow to check but just wanted to know if anyone with a family managed without all attending. They also stated children under 12 did not have to attend so that means My husband, myself and 13 year old have to stand in the manky queues coming out the doors for an hour - is really necessary!

Oh and just because I am having a moan - has anyone seen the state of the medicare queues for reclaims! I for one will be opting for bank account refunds.

Cheers but not cheerful
Old Jul 7th 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Hi Sandra, I'm in Perth but I went on my lonesome and got our Medicare for a family of four sorted "no worries". I have had cheques sent back to me for claims rather than going to queue. Doctors visits tend to cost about $10 so far (I've paid roughly $35 and got $25 back).

Good luck

Loopy
Old Jul 7th 2003, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

sandra

hope you feel better after your moan, sorry i cant help but perhaps i can pick your brains, how long do you have to be in aus for before you can get your medicare card, we may be in the strange position of my husband having to come straight back to the uk after we land in aus leaving me to sort everything out, it would be handy to know what he has to be there for, like getting our medicare cards.

hope you sort things out without the queues.

lynn
Old Jul 7th 2003, 3:17 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lynnj
sandra

hope you feel better after your moan, sorry i cant help but perhaps i can pick your brains, how long do you have to be in aus for before you can get your medicare card, we may be in the strange position of my husband having to come straight back to the uk after we land in aus leaving me to sort everything out, it would be handy to know what he has to be there for, like getting our medicare cards.

hope you sort things out without the queues.

lynn
Apparently they get you on the computer max 10 days after landing but can be earlier and thanks to Loopys advice I feel more confident about giving it another go! We did land this time in April but only got round to this bit now! Buying house and work got in the way!

Loopy thanks! Hope you unpacking is going well, I am packing after a year here to move to my bought house - and we loved unpacking the first time from the container - we brought over the lot, just getting round to dumping some of it for this move!

Thanks