Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus internet costs

Aus internet costs

Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Aus internet costs

Thought I would share some of the prices I have received about internet access here in QLD.

For unlimited downloads

Dodo offer $9.90 a month for 70mb up to a maximum cost of $23.40 per month.
Telstra around $28, $4 less if you have their phone as well. Optus was similar but wanted a 12 month contract.

We are using Dodo check out their website at www.dodo.com.au

The other annoying thing is you still have to pay for the local call charge on top, telsra are 17c unlimted length and you can stay on for max 4 hours.

There is broadband around, but not here where we are, luckily the dial up is much quicker than it was in the UK.

Happy happy to be back online!!!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:12 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are foxtel enabled you might be able to get cable broadband. Otherwise you have to be 4kms from an ADSL enabled exchange.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:17 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus internet costs

Originally posted by tinaj
Thought I would share some of the prices I have received about internet access here in QLD.

For unlimited downloads

Dodo offer $9.90 a month for 70mb up to a maximum cost of $23.40 per month.
Telstra around $28, $4 less if you have their phone as well. Optus was similar but wanted a 12 month contract.

We are using Dodo check out their website at www.dodo.com.au

The other annoying thing is you still have to pay for the local call charge on top, telsra are 17c unlimted length and you can stay on for max 4 hours.

There is broadband around, but not here where we are, luckily the dial up is much quicker than it was in the UK.

Happy happy to be back online!!!
Good to hear that dial up is quicker than uk.

I found a broadband comparison list for Oz somewhere about a month ago and it seems that broadband is aimed at business/small business users and much more expensive than in the uk. (we pay £25pm NTL) Am I right here or are there some good deals with reliable suppliers out there?
Or is the view that the telephone network is fast enough so why bother with broadband?

A2O
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:18 am
ABCDiamond

Australia On Line have a special on at $16.50 per month, unlimited time and unlimited downloads.

Could be useful if you spend a long time online !! I hit 570mb last month, and looks I will be the same this month.

They also have a broadband for $29.90, but i haven't looked at that, so not sure what the catch is yet.

Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Dial up is much faster, after all think about the volume of users here compared to the UK! We had broadband before, but think dial up is usable here.

I have seen broadband advertised from $39 a
month here.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 7:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Who were you using in the UK? I found TPG dial up slower than NTLworld.

for broadband comparisons try www.whirlpool.net.au .

If at all possible avoid hellstra.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:16 am
joem

Default Re: Aus internet costs

Originally posted by tinaj
I'm on dial up with iprimus, and get 50.0Kbps to 52.0Kbps.

My mate in London using tiscali, averages the same speed.

I don't see any difference

What speed are you getting here, compared UK?

joem

Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We used Optus at first but it had a 20 minute time-out to disconnect on it, also used to drop the connection for no reason so some days you were redialling 10-20 times an hour! And being charged each time!
Now on Dodo, and it will stay connected all day quite happily, and has no time-out problem either.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 8:47 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
We used Optus at first but it had a 20 minute time-out to disconnect on it, also used to drop the connection for no reason so some days you were redialling 10-20 times an hour! And being charged each time!
Now on Dodo, and it will stay connected all day quite happily, and has no time-out problem either.
Pacific Internet had the same problem, I was getting kicked off every 5 minutes. They were also really slow. If Dodo are quicker than the UK then you've hit on a good one. We're with IInet dsl and we've had no problems so far.

Jane