Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus House Prices now 61.1% over valued: The Economist

Aus House Prices now 61.1% over valued: The Economist

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aus House Prices now 61.1% over valued: The Economist

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This depends on what you define as the city boundaries ?

A search on Domain.com found:
Sydney
135 properties under $360,000
332 properties between $360,000 and $720,000
137 properties between $360,000 and $1M

Brisbane
189 properties under $360,000
453 properties between $360,000 and $720,000
101 properties between $720,000 and $1M

wow whats the population of Brisbane compared to Sydney?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
wow whats the population of Brisbane compared to Sydney?
Sydney 4.5 million
Brisbane 2 million (+ 750,000 on gold/sunshine coasts btw)
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:20 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Also see this page on that site...
http://www.worldinterestingfacts.com...the-world.html
Intresting to see Brisbane did not get in there..............MM
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 8:53 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Intresting to see Brisbane did not get in there..............MM
Probably because with 2 million people it hardly qualifies as a world class city
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:18 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Probably because with 2 million people it hardly qualifies as a world class city
Adelaide is in there with 1.28 mill..................MM
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:36 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
I think you'll find as ABC posted a week or so ago, that most mortgages aren't much over 3.5 times, average new mortgage taken out in Oz is around $300k, average male wage is about $70k so that's just over 4.2x single, given the old lending multiples of 3.5x male & 1x female it's nothing out of the ordinary even historically.

People who expect mortgages to go back to those of pre-1980 where only the male worked and paid for it are quite clearly deluded.

At the same time so are those who expect houses to rise in price by 10% a year.
To be honest, and with the deepest respect to ABC's googling ability, I will go with the world economists on the subject. Whilst I agree that claims of x7 income is an overestimate and the 61% stated in the economist is headline trash, the reality lies somewhere in between.

It is not a simple case of mortgage approval rates and average salaries. The complexities run far deeper than that as we all know.

Interest rates have risen to a more sustainable level for the rest of the year. Contraction in house price data, sliding building approvals, retails sales are weak, consumer confidence low, demand from China for resources plateauing with iron prices being reduced by 25% in the next 1/4.

The last couple of months for the Australian economic data has not been kind and there is little underlying good news expected. Ultimately it is the market which dictates if house prices are too high and the general public is now very wary and quite rightly so in my opinion.

What I see in my own surrounding suburbs in Bayside Brisbane is increased housing stock on the market aka more houses sitting there unsold despite price drops. Land a few streets away from me would not have even had time for a for sale sign to be put up a year ago sits in rows awaiting the happy day when the get adopted by a family to build on, but has been like that for weeks.

Of course only time will tell. The House price index and June trade balance sheets are out on Thursday and if not on target could scare the market place even more.

This is an interesting read about the interest rates. http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...cument&src=rot
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Adelaide is in there with 1.28 mill..................MM
Blimey where do they all hide ? Up in shacks in those hills ?

To be honest I dont have any problem with Adelaide at all.... Fantastic Scenic drive into the place... unlike Melbournes down the Hume... the State Government should fix that up.

Back to the thread.... Prices dropped in Melbourne last month by at least .7 of a Pct... I personally reckon it's more. There again, they are still well up on this time last year. As from July through to November they were rising at crazy rates, in some places close to 5pct a month.

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

It is interesting that there are more properties available for sale in Brisbane than Sydney despite 1/2 the population. But then those figures do not include those over $1m

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Aug 3rd 2010 at 10:02 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

To be honest, and with the deepest respect to ABC's googling ability, I will go with the world economists on the subject. Whilst I agree that claims of x7 income is an overestimate and the 61% stated in the economist is headline trash, the reality lies somewhere in between.

It is not a simple case of mortgage approval rates and average salaries. The complexities run far deeper than that as we all know.

Interest rates have risen to a more sustainable level for the rest of the year. Contraction in house price data, sliding building approvals, retails sales are weak, consumer confidence low, demand from China for resources plateauing with iron prices being reduced by 25% in the next 1/4.

The last couple of months for the Australian economic data has not been kind and there is little underlying good news expected. Ultimately it is the market which dictates if house prices are too high and the general public is now very wary and quite rightly so in my opinion.

What I see in my own surrounding suburbs in Bayside Brisbane is increased housing stock on the market aka more houses sitting there unsold despite price drops. Land a few streets away from me would not have even had time for a for sale sign to be put up a year ago sits in rows awaiting the happy day when the get adopted by a family to build on, but has been like that for weeks.

Of course only time will tell. The House price index and June trade balance sheets are out on Thursday and if not on target could scare the market place even more.

This is an interesting read about the interest rates. http://www.businessspectator.com.au/...cument&src=rot
Absolutely can't agree more. I've said before the most likely outcome for house prices here is a long period of relative stagnation and inflation eating away at the prices. Perth has had two quarters of falls of 1.5-2.5% for instance. It's the nutters who post relentlessly expecting falls in the 40% plus regions, and say that houses are unaffordable, which they quite clearly aren't, otherwise nobody would buy them.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
It's the nutters who post relentlessly expecting falls in the 40% plus regions, and say that houses are unaffordable, which they quite clearly aren't, otherwise nobody would buy them.
Have to agree with you there, I think there a few individuals who start these threads and are speculating not much more than wishful thinking..... They are trying to convince everyone that prices are going to fall 50% but the only people they have convinced are themselves.

Although I do think there will be a correction in the Market at some stage but at worst 10%
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:14 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Note: The old rule was 3.5x single salary, or 3x joint salary.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

I tend to agree with that.

When the over exaggerated figures come out, I tend to try to find the opposing end of the spectrum. Most people then see both ends and logically end up somewhere in the middle.

If people see one extreme and the middle, they will still tend to locate the middle of those figures.

However, those average mortgages are actual figures from Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Note: The old rule was 3.5x single salary, or 3x joint salary.
1958: £10pw got a £2,000 mortgage. 3.84x single salary. They bent the rules back then aswell

Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:20 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

The odd thing is, with the average new mortgage being $280k, and the average new house price being $500k, as some say, then the current average deposit must be about $220k.
If the average new house price really is $500k, perhaps we can conclude from the size of the average deposit, that there are very few 1st home buyers purchasing new builds.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:33 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

1958: £10pw got a £2,000 mortgage. 3.84x single salary. They bent the rules back then aswell
It must have been some place, my parents bought there 3 bed semi in 1972 for £3,000. (you're older than I thought too )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.