Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus House Prices now 61.1% over valued: The Economist

Aus House Prices now 61.1% over valued: The Economist

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus House Prices now 61.1% over valued: The Economist

Originally Posted by aussietobe
This is not true. The mining/resource sector only makes up 7% of the Australian economy, which is not a particulary large base at all (unlike the UK where the finance sector makes up 18%) A reduction in demand from China and/or India would have some effect but it would not be the catastrophe some make out.

There seems to be a need by some to run down the economic success of Australia?? Not sure why this is, but Australia has been successfully managed by those in government for quite some time (present administration excluded!)
Some may suggest in spite of administrators.Affordability must surely become an issue at some point?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Some may suggest in spite of administrators.Affordability must surely become an issue at some point?
Affordability is always the main point. If most people can afford it but some others can't, then nothing changes.

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I wonder if all the houses in north west brisbane are all over valued by 60%?

Maybe there will be a correction over the next 12 months. Maybe houses will drop 60%. Houses that are priced between $600k and $1.5m in 2010, might be selling for between $240k and $600k in 2011.

...or maybe not.
I reckon 80% in the next 3 months. $1m houses will be $200k by the end of the year.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:42 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I reckon 80% in the next 3 months. $1m houses will be $200k by the end of the year.
If there was an 80% drop across board, few would be able to afford it as there'd be mass unemployment, and banks wouldn't issue any new loans out of fear.

The majority of my friends are involved in some way in the construction industry (and I'm in IT). Many are concerned about what happens after all the government stimulus money has been spent. They're currently struggling to keep up with demand and see corners being cut left, right, and center to keep projects on track - but are very much aware that demand will drop once the stimulus money has gone.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 2:49 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
If there was an 80% drop across board, few would be able to afford it as there'd be mass unemployment, and banks wouldn't issue any new loans out of fear.

The majority of my friends are involved in some way in the construction industry (and I'm in IT). Many are concerned about what happens after all the government stimulus money has been spent. They're currently struggling to keep up with demand and see corners being cut left, right, and center to keep projects on track - but are very much aware that demand will drop once the stimulus money has gone.
Er, could you not tell I was taking the piss?

I never make serious contributions to pointless property price threads.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:05 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

For prices to fall everyone simply has too get together that intends to buy a house and agree not to for about 2 years.

After about 1.5 years prices will reach fairly low levels as estate agents start to see the revenue collapse.

In 2 years prices will be nice and low and everyone can start buying...
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Er, could you not tell I was taking the piss?

I never make serious contributions to pointless property price threads.
Why pointless? It could very well be the deciding factor in whether to migrate to Aus or not? I'd say it has a place on this forum.

Housing is the biggest weekly expense, renting or buying, unless you are currently cashed up when you come over here. I bought like you 8 years ago when housing here was a relative pittance. Could you afford to live where you live now, starting again with a small deposit of $100K or so, not unless you had an inheritance or such.

Would I come to Aus now with housing so expensive, no? A much bigger mortgage is now required to live somewhere semi decent in Aus (Perth) so you might as well get mortgaged up in UK and live in a nicer area, with family and friends not being 24 hours away.

Remember, it's a blue collar workers dream in Aus, no longer the case, you need money to start up here now if you want to not go backwards, that is, live in a bogan suburb. Unless Australia can attract the richer 'middle classes' from the UK (I doubt it) then house prices won't get pushed up any more, they've reached peak afordability IMO.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Zambia
everyone simply has too get together that intends to buy a house and agree not to for about 2 years.
Not quite that simple though

But if it did happen, can you imagine the rush and panic to buy the best properties, after 2 years, it may even push prices up due to the demand

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 3:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Why pointless?
probably because no one really knows what will happen. It is all pie in the sky.

Why should people move to Australia now ?
So they can be here when prices drop, and be ready to buy property cheap.
So they can buy now before prices go up again.

Either way there could be a reason, just as there are reasons to not want to move here. But with rents being so low, and many people being happy to rent, I wonder if Property prices is one real reason ?

house prices won't get pushed up any more, they've reached peak afordability IMO?
What is peak affordability ?

With the average new mortgage commitment being about $280,000, or about 3 times the average home buyers joint income, I wonder what they can really go to, to get the better than average place that they "need".

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Why pointless? It could very well be the deciding factor in whether to migrate to Aus or not? I'd say it has a place on this forum.

Housing is the biggest weekly expense, renting or buying, unless you are currently cashed up when you come over here. I bought like you 8 years ago when housing here was a relative pittance. Could you afford to live where you live now, starting again with a small deposit of $100K or so, not unless you had an inheritance or such.

Would I come to Aus now with housing so expensive, no? A much bigger mortgage is now required to live somewhere semi decent in Aus (Perth) so you might as well get mortgaged up in UK and live in a nicer area, with family and friends not being 24 hours away.

Remember, it's a blue collar workers dream in Aus, no longer the case, you need money to start up here now if you want to not go backwards, that is, live in a bogan suburb. Unless Australia can attract the richer 'middle classes' from the UK (I doubt it) then house prices won't get pushed up any more, they've reached peak afordability IMO.
A deposit of $100k would get you a mortgage with 20% deposit in any city in Australia, hardly unaffordable, and would certainly allow you to buy in most of the northern/southern/eastern suburbs of Perth with at least a 3 bed, 4 bed with back yard in most cases. Most of those places are certainly not bogan, unless you're a snob that is.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Still pointless.

The 1st line of ABCD's post #39 sums it up and is all we need to know.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:49 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
A deposit of $100k would get you a mortgage with 20% deposit in any city in Australia, hardly unaffordable
how long would it take to save for someone on an average wage (who we can assume is paying average rent etc...)?

I guess you could get a mortgage with 20% deposit in any city in the world with $100k - just different standards.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 4:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
how long would it take to save for someone on an average wage (who we can assume is paying average rent etc...)?

I guess you could get a mortgage with 20% deposit in any city in the world with $100k - just different standards.
The odd thing is, with the average new mortgage being $280k, and the average new house price being $500k, as some say, then the current average deposit must be about $220k.

Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

They predict 20% rise in uk house prices over 4 years.
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 7:46 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
probably because no one really knows what will happen. It is all pie in the sky.
Yes. Nobody knows for certain. However, buying a property is speculative and so it pays to get some opinions from others amongst other research. I would not say its pointless.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.