Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus electricity + laptop = trouble???

Aus electricity + laptop = trouble???

Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:31 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Aus electricity + laptop = trouble???

I'm hoping somebody on here is clever enough to work this little problem out for me!

We arrived in Perth about two weeks ago, and have been using our year-old laptop (with a australian plug adapter on the end) on & off. I was using the computer a couple of days ago (the day when it hit 42 degrees here in Perth) & noticed that the metallic plug that goes into my computer was *extremely* hot. So hot that it was beginning to melt the plastic off my computer casing!

I assumed that the problem was that my computer couldn't cope with running in 42 degree weather (I do use a laptop cooling pad to help though). However, the past couple of days have been cooler, but I still have the same problem! Now I'm worried that the plug is going to to melt/burn my laptop away! Ack! I've been running off the battery as much as possible, until I can get this sorted.

The really scary part is I had a laptop die on me for the exact same reason whilst here in Oz a few years ago on a WHV (part of the motherboard near where the power cord goes in melted).

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is, or any solutions? Has anyone else had similar problems? My theory is that the electricity here may be running at a slightly higher voltage than 230-240V, thus causing the heat. Would a surge protector help? Could it be my UK-Aus adapter causing the problem? Help!!!!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2005, 12:41 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Aus electricity + laptop = trouble???

Originally Posted by saraliz
I'm hoping somebody on here is clever enough to work this little problem out for me!

We arrived in Perth about two weeks ago, and have been using our year-old laptop (with a australian plug adapter on the end) on & off. I was using the computer a couple of days ago (the day when it hit 42 degrees here in Perth) & noticed that the metallic plug that goes into my computer was *extremely* hot. So hot that it was beginning to melt the plastic off my computer casing!

I assumed that the problem was that my computer couldn't cope with running in 42 degree weather (I do use a laptop cooling pad to help though). However, the past couple of days have been cooler, but I still have the same problem! Now I'm worried that the plug is going to to melt/burn my laptop away! Ack! I've been running off the battery as much as possible, until I can get this sorted.

The really scary part is I had a laptop die on me for the exact same reason whilst here in Oz a few years ago on a WHV (part of the motherboard near where the power cord goes in melted).

Does anybody have any ideas as to what the problem is, or any solutions? Has anyone else had similar problems? My theory is that the electricity here may be running at a slightly higher voltage than 230-240V, thus causing the heat. Would a surge protector help? Could it be my UK-Aus adapter causing the problem? Help!!!!!!!
I ran a laptop for 16 hours a day from early 2000 to late 2002, with no problems, although I was in Sydney. I would check with a computer shop, as it sounds like something other than electric problems.

PS: The laptop still works fine even now, even though we are in QLD.

Old Feb 17th 2005, 1:01 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

I moved over here two years ago with a Dell CPx model laptop and two bettery units. Travelling around the country with it I have blown both batteies so now have to use it off the mains. One blew when I was in Lightning Ridge one here in East Gippsland.. mind you both places are quite out in the sticks so it could have been due to that maybe
Old Feb 17th 2005, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

bussie is on a distinguished road

y not wire up an ozzie plug to your lappie
Old Feb 17th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bussie
y not wire up an ozzie plug to your lappie
Ditto. If it's anything like the ones we bought your aussie plug adapter could well be the problem. The ones we had were rubbish, wobbled about in the plug socket and seemed a bit dangerous. I'd change it anyway personally.

Cadman
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I used to be Financial Controller of IT in my last job. The company replaced 2 or 3 batteries in their 150 or so laptops every month so I think they are prone to packing up.
Old Feb 17th 2005, 10:25 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My bet would be that the connection is not "making" completely, and there is a high resistance across the plug - that would lead to very high temperatures and in some cases a fire. Get it checked out.

For blokes, a fire on the lap is not to be ignored.............
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

kelman has a brilliant futurekelman has a brilliant futurekelman has a brilliant futurekelman has a brilliant futurekelman has a brilliant futurekelman has a brilliant future

We brought a laptop about 18 months ago and for the past fews months we were having problems with it getting really hot eventually it just packed up and would not turn on at all. We tried a new battery and power pack but no luck.We sent it in for repair and was told that we would need a new mother board.This happened in England so may be it is a problem with some laptops.
Mark
Old Feb 18th 2005, 3:45 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all for the ideas & advice! I'm gonna try and get my hands on an aussie cord & ditch the adaptor - fingers crossed it will help!
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Hi I’m a computer guy here in the uk
I was also in Perth last year with my laptop no problems,
one thing to try is to unplug your laptop and power it up on its own...when its powered up have a good listen to the laptop(look on the internet for your make and find a diagram of the insides)..
The fan is what keeps the system cool and it come on when its hot, in between the fan and the processor is what’s called a “heat sync compound� it’s a gel but if it dries out the fan will have to work harder to keep the system cool and in high temperatures its going to lose at some point…

Hope its not that and it’s the plug but worth checking