Aus is crap?

Old Aug 16th 2002, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

summers family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aus is crap?

We have been really worried by all the negative threads about life in Aus on the ng recently. we don't think life will be perfect in Aus and want a realistic view on life in Australia. Is it really that bad? Believe me we want to know, better to know here than after the biggest move, and upheavel of your life. Please feel free to put relies, even positve ones, especially about poor people making it good!!!!! Thanks again Carol :scared:
Old Aug 17th 2002, 5:44 am
Russell Driver

Default Re: Aus is crap?

"summers family" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > We have been really worried by all the negative threads about life in Aus on the ng
    > recently. we don't think life will be perfect in Aus and want a realistic view on
    > life in Australia. Is it really that bad? Believe me we want to know, better to
    > know here than after the biggest move, and upheavel of your life. Please feel free
    > to put relies, even positve ones, especially about poor people making it good!!!!!
    > Thanks again Carol :SCARED:
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Oz is a perfect case of "Life is what you make it"

BUT you must adapt to certain things here. After all there were snakes even in the
Garden of Eden.

I've been here over 2 years now and still get the odd pang of homesickness but for
every pang there are 10 positive things here to make up for them!

Russell

--
Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

Old Aug 17th 2002, 8:21 am
Tobyabe

Hi Carol,

Just a few things you should know about living in Australia.

I too came from the UK about 16 months ago (been here lots of times though)

I live in Perth, a beautiful City with amazing scenery, surroundings etc..

But don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

It rains here, it gets cold here, there is crime here, TV is crap here, commercials
are even worse here.

BUT it is the best place in the world as far as I am concerned. Life is what you make
it here. It isn't heaven but it certainly isn't hell. That would be closer to the UK.

When you arrive, enjoy it, don't expect miracles. The fact that you have just arrived
from the UK will not phase anyone, but you will be accepted instantly. You will love
it where ever you decide to live. I picked Perth because it is unique and also has
the best weather in the country.

Australia is just like any other place you have ever visited, except it is warmer,
more laid back and an absolutely beautiful place to live.

Anything else you want to know - just ask.

The best of luck - though you probably won't need it :-)

Kev

--
K.Yeates

[email protected] "summers family" <[email protected]> wrote in message [u-
rl="news:[email protected]"]news:[email protected]
om[/url]...
    > We have been really worried by all the negative threads about life in Aus on the ng
    > recently. we don't think life will be perfect in Aus and want a realistic view on
    > life in Australia. Is it really that bad? Believe me we want to know, better to
    > know here than after the biggest move, and upheavel of your life. Please feel free
    > to put relies, even positve ones, especially about poor people making it good!!!!!
    > --

Old Aug 17th 2002, 1:35 pm
Medusa

move to North America. It might be better... cheers. ad "summers family"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > --

Old Aug 17th 2002, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi Carol

This is a post from Expat Chat, from someone who has spent a great deal of time and thought in writing her post....she's also from Glasgow!!

Hi Guys

Just for the sheer hell of it I thought you might like to read a post I found on Expat Chat....although Pommie Bastard probably thinks shes a dreamer too

Just for a more balanced view as I feel this thread is degenerating!!

love sophia xx

Albaus

Style Default

15th Aug 2002 01:10 PM
Re: Thinking of emigrating to Oz
Hi there, in reply to your post asking about life in Australia:

I have lived here now for just over three years. I left Scotland in 1993, and lived in England for a year and then we moved to California, USA for four and a half years. I believe that the time I spent living in England and America, before I moved to Australia gave me a much more balanced view - a global view perhaps - of what to expect from myself and from Australia. It also gave me a chance to get over my home-sick period - and thinking back it took at least two years before I really stopped being home-sick and able to enjoy my experiences abroad.

One of the things most people don't realise is that you will go through a definite period of grieving and re-adjustment, and sometimes that can be quite extreme. Anybody who suffers this must realise that it is not the country, necessarily, which is at fault, but their own expectations and their own emotions which are skewing their judgement.

I have found Australia a wonderful country to live in. The people are a mixture of good, bad and indifferent - in other words normal - no better and no worse than in any other place, and much better educated about the world in general than some countries. Australians have a down to earth sense of humour and much the same value system as most western countries.

The standard of living in Australia, at least on the Gold Coast, is very good. Coming from a working class Glaswegian background, I could never have hoped to live on a quarter acre of land, in a four bedroom, two bathroom home, overlooking a lake - for the sort of money which my friends have recently paid for a semi-detached house on a postage stamp block back in Glasgow. My husband works no harder here than in any other country we have lived in and yet we are able to sustain a lifestyle which would have been impossible in California or Britain.

Of course, it all depends where you choose to live. We live on the outskirts of the Gold Coast, Qld. The weather here is good most of the year round, real estate is reasonable (at the moment) and life is accordingly very pleasant.

One of the main problems with moving to another country is the kind of attitude you take with you. Things will definitely be different - you have to accept that and embrace it. I still miss some things about Scotland: the pubs, the fish and chips (no matter where I have been I have never found a chippy to match Armandos in Shawlands), some of my friends and family. I will always miss those things.

However it is important to remember that if you approach people with an attitude of belligerence and try to find fault in their country, of course you will be met with hostility. Just as you would in any other country. Many years ago, a good friend of mine, an American, was being rather difficult during his holiday in Glasgow and was harping on about how wonderful America was and doing the "USA, USA" thing and he was told, in no uncertain terms, by myself and others "well, why don't you f*** off back to America then, we don't want you here". If you deliberately pick faults in someone's native country and go on the attack, then negativity is exactly what you are going to get in return.

I have also had two British women I am close to tell me that they were made to feel unwelcome in Australia. I watched them in action however, and I know that they themselves made themselves unwelcome in Australia. If I turned up at your house, asked to be invited in, and then started criticising your wallpaper, decor, choice of music etc. you would throw me a stinging rebuke - it is no different when you are a visitor in a strange country.

Try to enjoy the many differences you will experience in Australia. It is a wonderfully diverse, rich and interesting country and has much to offer. If you approach the people and the country with a positive attitude you will almost certainly receive the same in response.

I have made many friends in Australia, have settled in very comfortably here, and in July I happily became an Australian citizen. I know that I will spend the rest of my life here, and I am glad of that.

Ultimately, Australia may not be for you. But don't let that be because you came with preconceived notions. Fortunately, you sound like a fairly open-minded soul. Give it a fair go, and you will probably find you love it here - as I do!

Regards
Old Aug 18th 2002, 7:50 am
Robert Edwards

Don't be scared be positive......just think of Oz as being a little bit of the UK and
a few other countries with sunshine added for free attitude is everything.

"summers family" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > --

Old Aug 18th 2002, 7:53 am
Robert Edwards

Even I will admit to TV in Australia being crap.......it is sad.........get pay tv
its better than the so called free to air junk..I'm almost tempted to crack a beer
after your post Toby.....

"Tobyabe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Carol,
    > Just a few things you should know about living in Australia.
    > I too came from the UK about 16 months ago (been here lots of times
though)
    > I live in Perth, a beautiful City with amazing scenery, surroundings etc..
    > But don't be lulled into a false sense of security.
    > It rains here, it gets cold here, there is crime here, TV is crap here, commercials
    > are even worse here.
    > BUT it is the best place in the world as far as I am concerned. Life is
what
    > you make it here. It isn't heaven but it certainly isn't hell. That would
be
    > closer to the UK.
    > When you arrive, enjoy it, don't expect miracles. The fact that you have just
    > arrived from the UK will not phase anyone, but you will be accepted instantly. You
    > will love it where ever you decide to live. I picked Perth because it is unique and
    > also has the best weather in the country.
    > Australia is just like any other place you have ever visited, except it is warmer,
    > more laid back and an absolutely beautiful place to live.
    > Anything else you want to know - just ask.
    > The best of luck - though you probably won't need it :-)
    > Kev

Old Aug 18th 2002, 10:19 am
Beebee

Sunshine and beaches, why Hawaii? There is much much better, but more expensive.
You sure can enjoy these things in a cheap way.

Move to North America. I personally think that even Canada is better, or even some
Asian countries. Not everything is bad here, it really depends on what you need.
Some people like the living style here, but I just can't accept it. For me, I would
move to the US. They have eveything you want. Besides, i think people in AU is are
still quite conservative.

"Medusa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cis79.6782$P%[email protected]...
    > move to North America. It might be better... cheers. ad "summers family"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > We have been really worried by all the negative threads about life in Aus on the
    > > ng recently. we don't think life will be perfect in Aus and want a realistic
    > > view on life in Australia. Is it really that bad? Believe me we want to know,
    > > better to know here than after the biggest move, and upheavel of your life.
    > > Please feel free to put relies, even positve ones, especially about poor people
    > > making it good!!!!! Thanks again Carol :SCARED:
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Old Aug 18th 2002, 10:46 am
Graham

summers family <[email protected]> wrote:

As Russ says it is what you make of it. The only thing I would suggest is what my
parents did when they arrived in the mid 70s - stay for 2 years regardless of what
happens and make your decision after that. Even now Mum still misses the odd things
in England but wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

--
Even Sainsburys have refused to give Steve Bruce a loyalty card.

mail at mistfall dot com

Old Aug 18th 2002, 10:07 pm
Medusa

Hey, Canada is also in North America (US and Canada.)
    :-)
"BeeBee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sunshine and beaches, why Hawaii? There is much much better, but more expensive.
    > You sure can enjoy these things in a cheap way.
    > Move to North America. I personally think that even Canada is better, or even some
    > Asian countries. Not everything is bad here, it really depends
on
    > what you need. Some people like the living style here, but I just can't accept it.
    > For me, I would move to the US. They have eveything you want. Besides, i think
    > people in AU is are still quite conservative.
    > "Medusa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:cis79.6782$P%[email protected]...
    > > move to North America. It might be better... cheers. ad "summers family"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > We have been really worried by all the negative threads about life in Aus on
    > > > the ng recently. we don't think life will be perfect in Aus
and
    > > > want a realistic view on life in Australia. Is it really that bad? Believe me
    > > > we want to know, better to know here than after the biggest move, and upheavel
    > > > of your life. Please feel free to put relies, even positve ones, especially
    > > > about poor people making it good!!!!!
Thanks
    > > > again Carol :SCARED:
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > > >
    > >
    > >

Old Aug 19th 2002, 1:56 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a bricklayer or in the building trade pack your bags now this is the place for you.Any other trade or job you could find things not so great apart from weather .Do not come come here to run away from people or to find the promised land , what ever you have been told the people around you make life better , those who you care for and care for you. This country much like USA money counts not people , the first social question you will be asked is how big is your house then what car followed by where do you live .Then you will be put in a class up or down the scale , then get ready for the one up menship .
We should encourge more Brits to come here ,that way it would improve Australia still can't wait that I'll stop dreaming and go home.

Old Aug 19th 2002, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by pommie bastard:
If you are a bricklayer or in the building trade pack your bags now this is the place for you.Any other trade or job you could find things not so great apart from weather .Do not come come here to run away from people or to find the promised land , what ever you have been told the people around you make life better , those who you care for and care for you. This country much like USA money counts not people , the first social question you will be asked is how big is your house then what car followed by where do you live .Then you will be put in a class up or down the scale , then get ready for the one up menship .
We should encourge more Brits to come here ,that way it would improve Australia still can't wait that I'll stop dreaming and go home.

Hi Pommie Bastard
Looking good for brickies is it !!!!
We are coming out in october , hubbie a brickie , wheres the best place to be heading for work ???
Cheers Joanne
Old Aug 19th 2002, 10:44 am
Chris

"BeeBee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Besides, i think people in AU is are still quite conservative.

lol... wait until you actually move to the US.

Chris

Old Aug 19th 2002, 9:38 pm
Graham

BeeBee <[email protected]> wrote:

> Not everything is bad here, it really depends on what you need. Some people like
    > the living style here, but I just can't accept it.

Bingo. What works for others doesn't work for you. It doesn't make it better or
worse, just different.

> Besides, i think people in AU is are still quite conservative.

Take a walk along Oxford Street during Mardi Gras :-)

--
Even Sainsburys have refused to give Steve Bruce a loyalty card.

mail at mistfall dot com

Old Aug 20th 2002, 12:38 am
Medusa

I live in North America.

"Chris" <travelchrisg[nospam]@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "BeeBee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Besides, i think people in AU is are still quite conservative.
    > lol... wait until you actually move to the US.
    > Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.