Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus construction standards

Aus construction standards

Old Dec 22nd 2002, 7:56 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus construction standards

Originally posted by Ceri
I'm sorry, but I personally think the houses here are not meant to last, I live close to a town (Sandgate, North Brisbane) where most of the houses in that town are mostly Queenslanders, they are hanging.. and most of them are not even 50 years old, some 80 maybe.. but they need a bulldozer taken through them
cheers

I think the fact that you can claim for depreciation on a house in your tax return Australia speaks volumes.
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 9:49 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by renth
I think the fact that you can claim for depreciation on a house in your tax return Australia speaks volumes.
True, a lot of houses here need renovating every 20, 30 years. And Queenslanders are the worst, in my opinion they are not worth the trouble, the upkeep of a Queenslander.. plus you've got the added thing of termites in wooden houses. One in four houses in QLD get termites. Scary fact. My last house had a termite outbreak, they chewed through the window frames.. horrible things. I actually filmed them breaking out of the frame, it's was like a scene from a horror movie.

MY "inlaw' has just bought her mothers house near the sea (Mumbles UK) the house is about 150 year old.. never been renovated, bar some rewiring work etc.. it's still solid, show me one Aussie house which is 150 years old and solid. And still 150 years is nothing, take a look at the old cottages in parts of Wales, or Cornwall etc, Hundreds of years old... solid little things.

cheers
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 11:22 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, as I believe you can also claim a deduction for depreciation on a UK property if you let one out when you are a resident of Australia ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by renth
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 2:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Not really, as I believe you can also claim a deduction for depreciation on a UK property if you let one out when you are a resident of Australia ...

Best regards.

Thanks for that Alan. I mis-interpreted some earlier advice you gave.

I'm glad you're on the ball.

Dan
Old Dec 23rd 2002, 5:59 am
huge,throbbing member

baldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nicebaldbutts is just really nice
Default Re: sparkys

Originally posted by abergas
Hey,I'm yer stereo-typical spark-don't do chasin',too good for the building trade,never tidy up,and damn good looking!

BB-nah mate,it's the floor that's p****d

Hey Baldy!Speaking as a gas man- how come all the sparkys I know
carn't or won't wire up a heating system???and is it true all your garages are full with off-cuts of wire to melt down for scrap copper??
Live to 5,use TRV's,no room stats-garage full of nicked valuables/cash from under OAP's mattresses!

Look out Perth,I'm dangerous

BB-don't do domestic