Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus construction standards

Aus construction standards

Old Dec 19th 2002, 1:39 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Herman
I've said it many times on this forum - if you are a tradesman then Australia is your place. If you are professional you'll feel hard done by. If i were a tradesman i reckon i'd love it here as brickies earn the same as lawyers, doctors and accountants. Its down to the value Australian society places on different skills. As I heard on the Aussie news the other day - about a quarter of Australian professionals of prime working age are in Europe for financial reasons, mainly because they feel undervalued here. Doubt this will change in near future (its a cultural thing - less snobbery and well, less respect for qualifications).
You are right about the building trade but other manual workers or tradesmen are not in the same boat , most in the building trade avoid tax and work long hours at contract rates its a good life for them.
Building standards are very poor had one house built by the Bob the Builder school of building ,even to have light switchs were you could use them cost extra its a rip off , 8 months after we moved in we where still waiting for them to fix the roof and a number of other faults the house alone cost $200,000 to build and finish.
Never again we where treated like dirt.the bastards delayed the start so we got ripped off for an extra $9,000 in GST a house should take 6months to build , ours took 10months and they had most of the money in the early stages . I should know better my Father was a builder could not lie straight in bed never mind tell the truth , never trust a word they say .

Old Dec 19th 2002, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Re: Aus construction standards

Originally posted by Bernard
I'm seeking a few opinions on the quality of house building and fitting-out (i.e. kitchens etc.).

I know very little about building, but my impression is that houses in Aus are not as well built as in the UK - is there anyone in the building trade that can comment on that? They just don't seem as substantial.

I recently had some kitchen units fitted and I'm not very happy with the workmanship and quality. They don't look half as good as the ones I had in my house in the UK - more like 'film set' quality. They look OK from a distance, but up close you can see the poor quality.
Is it the case that these items are of lower standard in Aus as compared to Europe?
We have found the building standards in and around Brisbane to be nothing short of atrocious. Unfortunately, its the same old Oz story "she'll be shite mate" as my husband says!!! All they care about is getting the job done as cheaply as possible, and sod the quality. If you want quality, you really do have to pay big bucks, and even then, it's often not a great deal better than the cheap stuff.

Also, safety standards on construction sites are dreadful - only yesterday yet another builder fell to his death on a building site in Brisbane - it happens all the time, despite all the hype about how the Aussies are so keen on "health and safety"...
Old Dec 19th 2002, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

I'm seeking a few opinions on the quality of house building and fitting-out (i.e. kitchens etc.).

I know very little about building, but my impression is that houses in Aus are not as well built as in the UK - is there anyone in the building trade that can comment on that? They just don't seem as substantial.

I recently had some kitchen units fitted and I'm not very happy with the workmanship and quality. They don't look half as good as the ones I had in my house in the UK - more like 'film set' quality. They look OK from a distance, but up close you can see the poor quality.
Is it the case that these items are of lower standard in Aus as compared to Europe?

Here in Canada there are great building Standards, the homes around me being built are very good quality and they are all Timber framed. there are Inspections for every think, they can only build in stages then have to get it Inspected my Brother is a builder in Vancouver has to put up thousands of dollers in a fund before he is allowed to start. in case there is a problem or he goes bankrupt ........
Old Dec 19th 2002, 6:29 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
You are right about the building trade but other manual workers or tradesmen are not in the same boat , most in the building trade avoid tax and work long hours at contract rates its a good life for them.
Building standards are very poor had one house built by the Bob the Builder school of building ,even to have light switchs were you could use them cost extra its a rip off , 8 months after we moved in we where still waiting for them to fix the roof and a number of other faults the house alone cost $200,000 to build and finish.
Never again we where treated like dirt.the bastards delayed the start so we got ripped off for an extra $9,000 in GST a house should take 6months to build , ours took 10months and they had most of the money in the early stages . I should know better my Father was a builder could not lie straight in bed never mind tell the truth , never trust a word they say .

There's on average 7-10 thousand brick's in a single story dwelling and when my oppo and I were on price work we were paid £1050 in total for all the brick and block work we had to build a bungalow in 7-10 days to make £50 quid a day granted that was just the shells but the chippy had the trusses on in a day and the roofers followed taking another 2 days the plasterers [richest men on the planet] were paid more money than us to render and skim them out and they could blitz one out in 4 days. That left the plunbers sparks and joiner another couple of weeks to second fix and the job was done people were moving in in less than 5 weeks. Prices are so tight you can't afford to mess around or you go bust or they get someone else.
Seems like there's a lot of cash to be made for guys that would do a good job in an alloted time , Don't they have penalty clauses for delayed completion? we have to work efficiently to avoid them or we loose the v small profit margin we make [honest guv as i live an breathe

Old Dec 19th 2002, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

I've read the previous posts and it seems to me that Sean.B has a clear understanding of aspects of the construction process and has made some valid comparisons between Uk an Oz methodology.

Anyone contemplating engaging a builder for house construction would be best advised to first consider engaging the services someone to represent their own interests during the design and construction (an Architect or Quantity Surveyor should be able to steer this process), moreover if someone with Sean.B's expertise is engaged to be the customer's visiting site agent the customers interests will be covered.

The building design, it's quality, it's cost and the construction time frame (and programming to achieve) should be carefully considered and detailed and committed to written contract BEFORE the building process begins. The builder should be chosen based on track record as well as his possession of any State (or Fedreal) Registration certification and possession of appropriate insurances.

If you as customer, with your advisors on board, pre-determine the quality and cost and time of construction, and you with your advisor police that things are being built to contact and have agreed damages for any lack of performance then you are in a much safer position.

Even then things can go wrong. If you as the customer don't cover your bases by engaging the necessary talent to represent you, you may save the professional fees but you will take the risk.

In the real world you may choose to buy from a speculative builder, if it's constructed have it professionally inspected before you commit to contract. If you buy off the plan seek independent advice on the quality, cost and timeframe of the proposed construction. If you are buying a unit (flat, apartment, condo) question who will be living around you.

Know who you are dealing with. If you are dealing with a limited company you are dealing with a LIMITED company. (Allright maybe a proprietry limited company PTY LTD). If you're dealing with 'a NAME' is it really that company or is it some similarly named entity that could fold without affecting the flagship firm. Ask yourself when was this company established.

I'll leave it at that for now.
(Appologies to Sean.B for putting a hat on your head)
Old Dec 19th 2002, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bernard is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by cresta57
I work alongside 2 Aussies and a Kiwi and all 3 do just enough to pay the bills and only work o/t if they want something special. Totally unlike the rest of the lads who work all the o/t going and come to rely on it to fund their lifestyles.
Most of the folks I met in Australia were the same they worked to live not lived to work. Most were well travelled and thought nothing of giving up a job to sail off on a 3 month cruise or even a 3 year around the world trip. I met a few that lived on their boats and as soon as they had enough for another trip off they went. They wern't rich buisness types just ordinary tradesmen like myself who appreciated life.
The reason we went and checked out the place was to find out what the wages and cost of property was and in my case I found the hourly rate was a lot more than I earn in the UK and the property a lot cheaper. Living in the North Lincolnshire/Humberside region the property is some of the lowest priced in the country, a terraced home cost's an average of around £35k here in Grimsby the wages here reflect the low cost of property but I can still sell up and buy a plot of land build a place on it and have no mortguage in Australia. No mortguage means less money needed ie less hours worked =more leasure time
If I had a large house with an equally large mortguage and found that the rate of pay in Australia was less than here and I still had to buy an expensive house in or close to a Major City I'd be bloody stupid to sell up and go wouln't I? Still I could always sit on here and winge about being badly done too!!!!!!!!.
Sean

I've lived in Aus for two years and take my word for it, the idea that "Most of the folks I met in Australia were the same they worked to live not lived to work. " is totally wrong, you'll be in for a big disappointment when you actually get down to the real business of living here.
In general most Aussies have to work a good deal harder than most British people; working conditions, holidays and social legislation are a good way behind European standards.
The impression I have from building tradespeople here is that its a really cut-throat business; costs are slashed to the bone and most tradesmen seem knackered through working long hours. The idea that they would just go off for a three-month trip on a boat is laughable - who told you that?

Seriously mate, you need a 'reality check' before you come over.
Old Dec 20th 2002, 4:42 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Sean

I've lived in Aus for two years and take my word for it, the idea that "Most of the folks I met in Australia were the same they worked to live not lived to work. " is totally wrong, you'll be in for a big disappointment when you actually get down to the real business of living here.
In general most Aussies have to work a good deal harder than most British people; working conditions, holidays and social legislation are a good way behind European standards.
The impression I have from building tradespeople here is that its a really cut-throat business; costs are slashed to the bone and most tradesmen seem knackered through working long hours. The idea that they would just go off for a three-month trip on a boat is laughable - who told you that?

Seriously mate, you need a 'reality check' before you come over.

Firstly as I said the purpose of my recent visit was to establish possible rates of pay and cost of housing/land. Having done this I'm satisfied that there is a demand for my trade, indeed on the sunshine coast the press was full of stories about the long wait for builders due to the labour shortage. The rates of pay varied according to the location much the same as UK.
Secondly we stayed on a yacht in mooloolaba with my parents for a couple of weeks as they were there having a refit. I spent a long time chatting to the guys that lived and worked in and around the marina and nearby dock. They are the guys I'm talking about one had just returned from a 3 year trip around the world on his boat another was due to leave shortly for a 6 month trip up the coast and across to Vanuatu Another was with his wife and 2 young daughters planning to sail up the coast and spend time in Darwin. these were chippies, electricians, brickies, etc.
Are you saying they are all wrong? did I meet the only people in Aust. doing that sort of thing? Were they all pathological liars? I can only assume as I stayed in a marina that these people were going to be more inclined to travel as they lived aboard their boats but a lot had homes as well.
I realise that holiday pay is almost non existent but after working as a subbie for a number of years I'm used to that .

It was mentioned in an earlier post that the government pushed the h&s at work thing but another builder had fallen to his death on a site. Here in the UK official figures confirm that 2 people die or are seriously injured on building sites everyday. More than firemen, police officers or the armed forces making it one of the most dangerous occupations to be in. Perhaps we should all go on strike for a 40% pay increase like our firemen!
Old Dec 21st 2002, 11:44 pm
Just Joined

michael29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly as I said the purpose of my recent visit was to establish possible rates of pay and cost of housing/land. Having done this I'm satisfied that there is a demand for my trade, indeed on the sunshine coast the press was full of stories about the long wait for builders due to the labour shortage. The rates of pay varied according to the location much the same as UK.
Secondly we stayed on a yacht in mooloolaba with my parents for a couple of weeks as they were there having a refit. I spent a long time chatting to the guys that lived and worked in and around the marina and nearby dock. They are the guys I'm talking about one had just returned from a 3 year trip around the world on his boat another was due to leave shortly for a 6 month trip up the coast and across to Vanuatu Another was with his wife and 2 young daughters planning to sail up the coast and spend time in Darwin. these were chippies, electricians, brickies, etc.
Are you saying they are all wrong? did I meet the only people in Aust. doing that sort of thing? Were they all pathological liars? I can only assume as I stayed in a marina that these people were going to be more inclined to travel as they lived aboard their boats but a lot had homes as well.
I realise that holiday pay is almost non existent but after working as a subbie for a number of years I'm used to that .

It was mentioned in an earlier post that the government pushed the h&s at work thing but another builder had fallen to his death on a site. Here in the UK official figures confirm that 2 people die or are seriously injured on building sites everyday. More than firemen, police officers or the armed forces making it one of the most dangerous occupations to be in. Perhaps we should all go on strike for a 40% pay increase like our firemen!
I think you'll find that alot of people on this forum are a little UK biast.Everywhere you go there are cowboys who take the short cut but unless your prepared to seriously look into a reputable builder who doesnt have a big glossy add in the yellow pages but who is reputable by his standard of work then of course you could be getting a less desired finished product.Word of mouth is huge in this industry and i think alot of people dont do enough ground work when it comes to purchasing your biggest investment.A friend of mine who built his construction buisness from nothing to a little success story has never been huge on advertising but lets his customers sell his work for him.Alot of the time money buys quality and because people are so focused on bringing the costs down then sometimes they might end up with an inferior product,and yes accidents do happen everywhere.
Cheers
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 6:47 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Cool sparkys

Hey,I'm yer stereo-typical spark-don't do chasin',too good for the building trade,never tidy up,and damn good looking!

BB-nah mate,it's the floor that's p****d

Hey Baldy!Speaking as a gas man- how come all the sparkys I know
carn't or won't wire up a heating system???and is it true all your garages are full with off-cuts of wire to melt down for scrap copper??
As to your description above - sounds just like gas fitters-Ha Ha.
Wat part u off to bruce- perhaps we could coin in on the building boom
and bodge our way to millionaires row. L.O.L
Dont forget, dont use sticky back trunking on Local Authority contracts !!!
CUL8TR BRUCE
All the best from a short fat bald gas man !
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 9:35 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Maybe these guys, like many of the Aussies I work with in Sydney, have inherited money to enable them to support this lifestyle? Just a thought, but the 'ordinary aussies' in my firm who seem to be able to have yachts, big houses etc etc tend to be the second or third generations whose parents and grandparents were literally given land for free which is now worth millions. Given your parents have a boat I presume you know how much it costs to run one? More than a chippy earns!
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 10:05 am

<If you're expecting quality from Aussie builders your in for a sad shock. They do not build houses to last. The foundation does not go deep like the way they lay the British houses, and the wooden frames inside basically holds up the roof not the bricks... it's all face value
Anyway welcome to the Australian house building>

Just another point to consider re the roofs in Aus. they are mainly tin of some description, usually galvanised or aluminum they look just like tiles but this material is a fraction of the weight of the traditional british slate or even heavier concrete roof tile. Sorry to harp on but I do think your making unfair comparisons there are a lot of old queenslander style homes still standing so they are/were build to last.
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 10:23 am

Originally posted by Herman
Maybe these guys, like many of the Aussies I work with in Sydney, have inherited money to enable them to support this lifestyle? Just a thought, but the 'ordinary aussies' in my firm who seem to be able to have yachts, big houses etc etc tend to be the second or third generations whose parents and grandparents were literally given land for free which is now worth millions. Given your parents have a boat I presume you know how much it costs to run one? More than a chippy earns!
Its as expensive as you make it. My folks do all the work themselvs that they can including their recent refit. They have a small retirement bungalow just outside of town and the rent from that £390 pcm pays for everything from new sails,rigging etc. to the food they put on their table and their mooring fees.. Their into their 7 season sailing around the world and have made it half way so far. Neither have inherited wealth mum worked in a chemist shop and the old man was a sparky. I suppose it's how you set your stall out and what you spend your disposable income on a typical example is that neither parent smoked if they'd smoked 20 a day each for 40 years they would have easily burned enough to buy 2 or 3 boats!
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 12:48 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Its as expensive as you make it. My folks do all the work themselvs that they can including their recent refit. They have a small retirement bungalow just outside of town and the rent from that £390 pcm pays for everything from new sails,rigging etc. to the food they put on their table and their mooring fees.. Their into their 7 season sailing around the world and have made it half way so far. Neither have inherited wealth mum worked in a chemist shop and the old man was a sparky. I suppose it's how you set your stall out and what you spend your disposable income on a typical example is that neither parent smoked if they'd smoked 20 a day each for 40 years they would have easily burned enough to buy 2 or 3 boats!
Fair point. You need good skills and plenty of time on your hands though. I go sailing with a couple of guys I work with here in Sydney. They bought their yacht between three of them and they all earn about $150k to $200k each and complain about the constant drain on their personal finances. They are thinking of selling as its cost them so much and I am SO glad I turned down the opportunity to go in with them when they bought it.
So, yep I guess it could be cheap if you dont work and have good skills. If you've got a day job requiring long hours and so limited time and don't possess all the hands on repair & maintenance skills then you need a LOT of money.
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 2:49 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by michael29
Alot of the time money buys quality and because people are so focused on bringing the costs down then sometimes they might end up with an inferior product,and yes accidents do happen everywhere.
Cheers
Not always, the company who is building our house, the cost of the driveway for them to do it is eight grand! Even the bloke in the office told us you'd be better getting someone else to do the driveway as their rates for paving are expensive (it wasn't the materials, it's the labour charges).. same as tiling the inside of the house/floor tiles. We worked it out, and we can actually do it cheaper, almost half price and use a much better tile ( a more expensive/posh tile), and still do it cheaper than the building company. We've got rid of their cooker, bathroom units etc, etc again because theirs are not up to scratch, and we want a decent units, so we will be owner supplying. A lot of the things we have got rid of and doing ourselves is because theirs are cheap and nasty , won't last, and for the same price we can get quality. The labour rates they charge seems to be very high, and push the cost up.. not the quality of the materials. They seem to cut down on quality and charge /profit greatly on the labour... hence the cost
Yes if you're a builder, Australia is the place for you!!

My mate priced a deck, $24 thou he was quoted .. 10 grand for materials, 14 thou for labour.. it's not hard to build a deck, he's now doing it himself.

Cheers
Old Dec 22nd 2002, 4:31 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

<If you're expecting quality from Aussie builders your in for a sad shock. They do not build houses to last. The foundation does not go deep like the way they lay the British houses, and the wooden frames inside basically holds up the roof not the bricks... it's all face value
Anyway welcome to the Australian house building>

Just another point to consider re the roofs in Aus. they are mainly tin of some description, usually galvanised or aluminum they look just like tiles but this material is a fraction of the weight of the traditional british slate or even heavier concrete roof tile. Sorry to harp on but I do think your making unfair comparisons there are a lot of old queenslander style homes still standing so they are/were build to last.
I'm sorry, but I personally think the houses here are not meant to last, I live close to a town (Sandgate, North Brisbane) where most of the houses in that town are mostly Queenslanders, they are hanging.. and most of them are not even 50 years old, some 80 maybe.. but they need a bulldozer taken through them.

You won't find many 100 year old houses in Aus, most houses which are lucky enough to reach 100 actually get protected here by the state/government (100 year old house in britain is nothing, it's still a youngster ). Queenslanders are some of the worst, they soon go scruffy, rotten etc.

You only have to watch the storms here to see how many houses get damaged, roofs ripped off (and these are new houses /brick) every year and that's just places like Sydney 75 , 85 mile an hour winds. How many houses in Britain get their roofs completely ripped off in 75 mile an hour winds??? 75 mile an hour winds are b*gger all, try 100, 110.

I personally haven't lived in one house, or visted any house in Australia in the past 6 years which I have been living here that has the quality of a old British house, and I don't mean the Barrat type houses etc in Britian which also get thrown up, because I wouldn't waste my money on those either. Actually the houses here remind me of Barrat type houses in Britian, cheap and nasty, not meant to last.

cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.