Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aus construction industry

Aus construction industry

Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Aus construction industry

Following is an article on Newscom.au this morning about the dire position the construction industry will be in for a few years.

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html

I know my best friend's husband has lost his job in Brisbane after completing a large project there and he says there is nothing around. Only one of the guys he worked with has been able to find a job so far. He knows lots of people in the industry both in QLD, NSW and Vic and has had no offers yet all say they are not hiring they are putting off staff.

I do not believe people should be put off from their dream but just make sure you are very well informed and take off the rosy specs and be prepared to rough it for a while.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 7:56 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus construction industry

Originally Posted by Petals
Following is an article on Newscom.au this morning about the dire position the construction industry will be in for a few years.

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html

I know my best friend's husband has lost his job in Brisbane after completing a large project there and he says there is nothing around. Only one of the guys he worked with has been able to find a job so far. He knows lots of people in the industry both in QLD, NSW and Vic and has had no offers yet all say they are not hiring they are putting off staff.

I do not believe people should be put off from their dream but just make sure you are very well informed and take off the rosy specs and be prepared to rough it for a while.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623022
Old Jul 30th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aus construction industry

The coal face is saying its true though. My friend's husband is a civil engineer project manager and he is very very good at his job and known in the industry and if he says there is no work about then there is no work about. Of course some people have jobs in companies who have been successful in getting a project up but these reports are talking about the people like my friend whose company has closed their construction arm and laid off everyone. These people are struggling to find work. He is Australian so no accent to worry about

Last edited by Petals; Jul 30th 2009 at 8:06 pm.